GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,012
0 members and 2,012 guests
No Members online

Old 08-08-2006, 07:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Last edited by Ocalagirl; 05-26-2007 at 09:14 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-08-2006, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ADPi Conniebama
Mothers - Fathers - Uncles - Aunts - Cousins - sisters. The entire famiily is totally welcome.

I am speaking for UNA and Bama - I think I can speak for Samford and Birmingham Southern too. I know that at all of those locations families are totally invited to the bid day festivities.

My mother didn't come - she didn't care about that kind of stuff but alot of parents were totally there until they got bored and "cut a check" then left ha ha. Usually house mothers and/or advisors "attend" to the parents and family. - It gives us something to do.

This is so exciting - I, so, love formal fall recruitment. I envy you getting to be at the beginning of all of this.

Sure, if you want to invite your aunt go for it I am sure she would at least know what is going on and be able to answer any questions and she would also know when you would be comfortable for her to leave. (do they have DZ where you are going to school? - even if they do and you go somewhere else I know she would be totally welcome to the house/dorm/whatever - but wouldn't it be cool if you chose her sorority - sorry I love "family sisters)

HAVE A GREAT TIME!!!!!
Old 08-08-2006, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADPi Conniebama
do they have DZ where you are going to school? - even if they do and you go somewhere else I know she would be totally welcome to the house/dorm/whatever - but wouldn't it be cool if you chose her sorority - sorry I love "family sisters)
No unfortunately there is no DZ chapter at UCF They have ADPI, AEPhi, AXiD, Chi-O, DDD, DG, KAT, KD, KKG, Pi Phi, and ZTA.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I know ole miss has alot of parents there on bid day too.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltrixx
I was reading another post about an SEC rush and this mother was very worried about her daughter's rush. Is this normal? Do mothers even come to Bid Day? My mother knows this is important to me, but even if she was here (my parents are on vacation to Sturgis) she didn't think any other mothers were going to be there and wasn't going to come. I was going to invite my aunt, who is a Delta Zeta, to come if other mothers came but I didn't know.
No parents, relatives, etc., at UCF Bid Day, please. This event is for collegians only. Many chapters restrict alumnae involvement on this day, too. It's a hectic, crowded and fun day, but this is a day to spend with your new sisters. Moms don't come to this event and there would be no accomodation for those who do. The chapters are equipped to handle their members and the volunteers supporting them that day.

Your family is welcome to attend all of the great events ahead at UCF Family Weekend. If you join a sorority, there will be special activities for your relatives with your organization.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf
No parents, relatives, etc., at UCF Bid Day, please. This event is for collegians only. Many chapters restrict alumnae involvement on this day, too. It's a hectic, crowded and fun day, but this is a day to spend with your new sisters. Moms don't come to this event and there would be no accomodation for those who do. The chapters are equipped to handle their members and the volunteers supporting them that day.
Unless your mom, sister, grandma, aunt, etc. is an alumnae from the chapter that you got a bid to. We had alumnae sisters and aunts of new members come to the house on Bid Day to welcome their family to ZTA.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Yea, sorry, I am sure it is different at different schools. I don't know if your school even has houses or the like so I assume various schools could accomodate less or more as far as family goes -

It was great though to have family watch the "run" when the girls accept their bids and of course the sororities would want to know how many people to plan for on bid day and if the university isn't use to a mob of mothers and/or fathers then I guess it is what ever is the norm at whatever university.

Anyone from your university would, of course, be able to give better advice then I.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok, wow! I'll totally admit to being a "list" person. I like to know as much information as humanly possible before I throw myself into a situation and because of this, I can recognize the need to plan and control in others. You have a week to go-take a deep breath! Breathe! It's going to be ok. Relax. You seem to be very prepared-probably more so then most girls going through at UCF. Enjoy the last week of summer!

I know that it's scary because you don't totally know what you're getting into, but there are going to be lots of people (i.e., your Rho Gammas) who will help you get through the week. Don't get so caught up in knowing everything or planning that you forget to enjoy the week and remember each moment.

The other UCF Greeks have offered you great advise. Here's one more thing to keep in mind -(If I remember correctly) PNM's are not allowed to take anything into the houses with them. Your Rho Gamma will probably give you a clear plastic bag to put your essentials in and you'll have to leave that outside in the tent. So, don't stress about bringing tons of stuff with you. Don't forget-your Rho Gammas have been in your shoes before! They know what you need. Just don't forget your umbrella!
Old 08-09-2006, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
It all depends - I remember last year a thread about Bid Day at 'Bama and parents were invited (including Joe Namath, his daughter pledge ADPi I believe).

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bluefish81
Good Luck liltrixx! It sounds like you're pretty prepared. I'm rooting for Elizabeth because that's my sister's name.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I like the name Lexi, so go Lexi! But best wishes and good luck from a PNAM to a PNM!
Old 08-09-2006, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Last edited by Ocalagirl; 05-26-2007 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Last edited by Ocalagirl; 05-26-2007 at 09:16 PM.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok (i know i didn't go to ucf, but) a halter top should be ok depending on your body type. If you find your self having to "correct" your shirt throughout the day or throughout the party then that wouldn't be good. If however you are more comfortable having your arms "free" from sleeves then I think a halter top should be fine. AGAIN ONLY IF YOU HAVE THE CORRECT BODY TYPE FOR IT!!!

anyone from ucf might be able to help more because I know the acceptable "dress" is different from campus to campus.

Keep us updated when the time comes - - and AGAIN HAVE FUN!!! even when you are planning recruitment - have a great time.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to UCFStefanie
I would agree with the above poster. I went though recruitment at UCF and wore a holter during one round (I actually think it was philantrophy) and I looked good.

Just heed the above advice. As long as it looks right for your body type, you dont have to correct it in order for it to look appropriate and you look respectable... then you are fine.

Best of luck to you!!!!!