GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 981
0 members and 981 guests
No Members online

Old 05-19-2015, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

The University of Alabama at Birmingham is expanding its Greek community.
Sigma Kappa will colonize in fall 2015
Kappa Delta will colonize in fall 2017

Phi Gamma Delta fraternity was scheduled to colonize this spring.

Per the Birmingham News AKA AL.com: http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/in.../post_170.html

Old 05-19-2015, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

-Delta Zeta and Alpha Gamma Delta presented at University of Arkansas this past semester, no announcement's been made yet (which surprises me a lot considering they were shooting for a Fall 2015 colonization, but I digress).

-Phi Gamma Delta will be recolonizing at Clemson in Fall 2015.

-Alpha Sigma Tau is presenting at UMass-Amherst, and I read somewhere that Tri-Sigma was the other sorority presenting, but I don't know that. Maybe sigmagirl2000 would know since she is an alum of the school and still knows people there?

-Belmont still had AOII, Gamma Phi and KD present with still no report on who was chosen/if the school will even let a new group come on.

-The Sorority Extension Twitter said that the University of Houston-Downtown, which is different from the University of Houston, is open for extension. I couldn't find anything about UH-D's Greek life online-they don't even have a chapter listing-so I don't know which school is actually open. Obviously one account is not the be-all end-all of information but I think it's worth clarifying.

Sorry for the long post! Expansion/extension is my favorite thing about Greek life so I always have a lot of things to say about it
Old 05-20-2015, 01:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
-

-Alpha Sigma Tau is presenting at UMass-Amherst, and I read somewhere that Tri-Sigma was the other sorority presenting, but I don't know that. Maybe sigmagirl2000 would know since she is an alum of the school and still knows people there?
The Tri Sigma Alumnae Update email I received from headquarters last week had the following information on colonization:
Oakland University Fall 2015
Old Dominion University Fall 2015
University of Virginia (recolonizing Delta Chi) does not say Fall or Spring but is for the 2015-2016 school year.
University of Massachusetts-Amherst (recolonizing Gamma Iota) Fall 2016

No information on University of Arkansas-Fort Smith for this year was in the update. It is no longer on the national web page.

Last edited by Sassmofi; 05-20-2015 at 01:34 AM.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:53 AM
GreekChat Member

It's my understanding that neither was picked at Arkansas so no one is in line to colonize at this point.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Just wanted to say how much I always enjoy this thread!

Thank you, LaneSig, for doing all this work to keep these threads current, year after year.

And thank you, clemsongirl, for all the great maps!
Old 05-20-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
-Delta Zeta and Alpha Gamma Delta presented at University of Arkansas this past semester, no announcement's been made yet (which surprises me a lot considering they were shooting for a Fall 2015 colonization, but I digress).

-Phi Gamma Delta will be recolonizing at Clemson in Fall 2015.

-Belmont still had AOII, Gamma Phi and KD present with still no report on who was chosen/if the school will even let a new group come on.

-The Sorority Extension Twitter said that the University of Houston-Downtown, which is different from the University of Houston, is open for extension. I couldn't find anything about UH-D's Greek life online-they don't even have a chapter listing-so I don't know which school is actually open. Obviously one account is not the be-all end-all of information but I think it's worth clarifying.

Sorry for the long post! Expansion/extension is my favorite thing about Greek life so I always have a lot of things to say about it
It is my understanding that it really is(was?) UH-Downtown and that this would be the first NPC chapter. I never heard if anyone showed interest. I was kind of assuming no one would.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
It's my understanding that neither was picked at Arkansas so no one is in line to colonize at this point.
I don't think that was the case. It has to do with some..."administration stuff" and that they're holding off on expansion completely for a hot minute.

EDIT: scratch that. moving on...

Last edited by IHeartUGA; 05-20-2015 at 05:20 PM. Reason: yep.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
I hadn't heard anything about a UMass colonization at all. Which is bizarre, considering I advise there and work on the national recruitment team. Congrats to Sigma Sigma Sigma for returning in 2016. Is there word on if they'll have a house? Recruitment numbers haven't really grown at UMass over the last few years, so I'll be interested to see how this plays out. I think Sigma Sigma Sigma was only on campus for a very few years in the 90s (I heard they came on in 1996, but my chapter sisters who initiated around 1998 said Sigma Sigma Sigma wasn't there when they went through rectuitment...), so I'm hoping it'll work out better this time. Since DZ left in around 2005 I was hoping they'd bring an 8th chapter back to campus!

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 05-27-2015, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

According to Twitter (Sorority Expansion), Delta Gamma is presenting at Drexel University.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:51 PM

Kappa Delta Rho has officially closed it's chapter at Penn State. The closure will be for a minimum of 3 years and is due to RMF.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 05-27-2015, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Supposedly AOII and SDT are also presenting at Drexel
Old 05-27-2015, 10:53 PM
GreekChat Member

It looks as though Oregon State Gamma Phi Beta is not happening this fall-it's listed as Fall 2015 or later, but not as a Fall 2015 colony. My somewhat-educated guess is that they pushed it back a year to give the previous colony another year to grow.

http://www.gammaphibeta.org/join/newchapters
Old 05-28-2015, 09:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It looks as though Oregon State Gamma Phi Beta is not happening this fall-it's listed as Fall 2015 or later, but not as a Fall 2015 colony. My somewhat-educated guess is that they pushed it back a year to give the previous colony another year to grow.

http://www.gammaphibeta.org/join/newchapters
Back when the stack was announced, I was told that housing was so tight it was going to present a major challenge. I don't know what the current status is, but I think we'd want to have that settled before colonization -- PNMs like to know.

From IP's thread, it does look like AOPi needs more time to establish...I am curious if they have a house yet. Anyone know?
Old 05-28-2015, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Lambda Chi Alpha will be colonizing at Coastal Carolina and The University of Tampa in the fall of 2015.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

I, too, enjoy this thread. For accuracy, Alpha Gamma Delta at Kansas State is a recolonization.

Interesting to know that Theta Phi Alpha is colonizing at Marietta. I have photos of an extension/recolonization presentation there from spring, 1975. I am sure that such presentations have gotten far more sophisticated in 40 years. (I certainly hope so.)