GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,537
1 members and 2,536 guests
ajehnztsa1361

Old 04-14-2013, 11:51 AM
GreekChat Member

colonization question

a new sorority will be colonizing at my school in spring 2014. i'm interested in joining but at that point in time, i will be a second semester senior. has anyone heard of a similar situation before? should i email the sorority or should i just wait until they start having interest meetings/information sessions and directly talk to a sorority representative?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-14-2013, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

You've already answered your own question - ask the people doing it as they are the ONLY ones who will know the answer.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

There was a colony member here recently asking about dropping out of her colony. You're not alone.

They will be interested in women of all years, seniors included. Keep in mind you may be paying a hefty dues for only a semester of collegiate membership. Some people don't want to pay that considering they are about to graduate. However if you plan on staying local after graduation, the powers that be will want a strong, willing, and available alumnae base for the actives to rely on. Lots to consider.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, you will pay for one semester BUT your membership last a lifetime. Networking is one of the perks of being Greek. It is also nice to have a group that will welcome you with open arms if you end up in another state or town from where you grew up or went to school.

I would definitely check it out. You have nothing to loose by going through the process.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
Keep in mind you may be paying a hefty dues for only a semester of collegiate membership.
Is this just because all the fixed costs hit at once? I think that we spread the parlor fees and such things over the first couple semesters, so I guess I never thought about what would happen to someone who was only active for one.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator

If you're wanting to stay on after the fact and be an adviser, it's definitely something to look into. They may be interested in recruiting you for that precise reason.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-15-2013, 01:56 AM
GreekChat Member

My colony does not have any seniors, and not too many juniors, even though we had I think around 5 seniors go through recruitment. That doesn't necessarily mean that it will be the same at your school and with whichever organization is colonizing there.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

greekxgal, are you a member of a NPC sorority?
Old 04-15-2013, 08:56 AM
GreekChat Member

She posted in another thread that she's a member of an AOII colony.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:42 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks everyone for all your input!
Old 04-16-2013, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I am a graduating senior who just joined my sorority this year in October... I did have a bit more time to be involved, but the colony took around 10 seniors (110 total). I would email them now and ask because showing interest never hurts! And as someone mentioned already, it's not 4 years it's for life so it's never too late.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

hi again everyone, just wanted to give an update and resurrect this thread to see if I can reach any more GC'ers who went through colony recruitment as a graduating senior (especially a second semester senior).

the colonizing sorority had a small informational meeting a few weeks ago and i got a chance to speak with one of the sorority representatives, who told me that a member of the expansion team was actually a senior colony member last year! I've decided that I'm going to take a plunge and go through the colony recruitment process in February, so I'd love any advice! I've previously been through formal recruitment, but I know that colony recruitment is very different.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Be yourself. They probably will want a few seniors who will serve as a balancing force against all the drama of the 18 and 19 year olds. Your maturity and level head will probably be strong selling points. And if your plan is to stay local after you graduate, even better. Good luck!
Old 12-07-2013, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm so glad you've decided to look into membership! I joined my organization this fall in a re-colonization (as a Junior) and it's been the most incredible experience. I also witnessed another sorority re-colonize on my campus.

The process is much different from formal recruitment, but each organization also will recruit a little differently. There will likely be some form of individual consultation with interested members to learn more about their interest. For example, in my consultation, I mentioned my interest in leadership (which is especially vital in starting a brand new chapter!) and how I wanted to gain a close community of sisters. You may also have the opportunity to socialize with other women going through the recruitment process. Most likely, the recruitment team hosting these events will be from the National office or include alumnae who live nearby.

My best advice is to let your enthusiasm for the organization shine through and communicate what value you can bring to the chapter as a senior! We took in 7 seniors out of about 107 members and they have been active leaders, one even made Homecoming court, and were well-connected on campus which helped us to have great social events, get the word out on philanthropy, and they were a mature face to look up to.

I wish you the best!
Old 12-07-2013, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

thank you for the advice!! fingers crossed that I will have good news to share in a few months!