GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,477
2 members and 1,475 guests
LaneSig, PGD-GRAD

Old 12-15-2023, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Southside Virginia. Sometimes in the mountains. Any mountains will do.
Another link with the same basic info, but adds that she cannot have any contact with her son until he's 18:

https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news...child-neglect/

Sounds as if the kid's doing well in his current situation. I hope that's true, and that it holds.
Old 12-15-2023, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I didn't get a chance to check back on the sentence so thanks to those of you who posted. I am personally glad she got a longer state sentence, there were so many things that feel through the cracks that lead up to this tragic event that as others have said not only impacted Ms. Zwerner but also the other students who witnessed what happened. I haven't seen any details as to what happened to the young boy who did the shooting but hopefully he is getting additional help to deal with whatever issues he is dealing with. It looks like from reading the wavy article she'll serve her federal time and then her state time afterwards?
Old 12-19-2023, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthen View Post
I didn't get a chance to check back on the sentence so thanks to those of you who posted. I am personally glad she got a longer state sentence, there were so many things that feel through the cracks that lead up to this tragic event that as others have said not only impacted Ms. Zwerner but also the other students who witnessed what happened. I haven't seen any details as to what happened to the young boy who did the shooting but hopefully he is getting additional help to deal with whatever issues he is dealing with. It looks like from reading the wavy article she'll serve her federal time and then her state time afterwards?
Yes, that is what it sounds like. She was convicted of both state and federal crimes. The article doesn't mention that the judge in the Virginia court is allowing the state sentence to run concurrently; so, it sounds like she has to serve time in both jurisdictions.

I'm not sure if the state of Virginia is lenient with "good conduct" credit and will allow this mother an early release; however, the Feds are not. Federal inmates usually serve the bulk of their sentences. So she will likely serve the entire 21 months of her Federal term and then be transferred to Virginia state custody for the additional 2 years of state time.

True and Constant
Old 04-09-2024, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Update on the Richneck School Assistant Principal

https://www.wtvr.com/news/local-news...d-april-9-2024

Quote:
Virginia teacher Abigail Zwerner

Richmond news and weather update for Tuesday, April 9

By: The Associated Press

Posted at 4:18 PM, Apr 09, 2024
and last updated 1:18 PM, Apr 09, 2024
NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (AP) — A former assistant principal at a Virginia elementary school has been indicted on eight felony counts of child neglect in the case of a 6-year-old boy who shot and wounded his first-grade teacher in Newport News, Virginia, last year.
A special grand jury found that Ebony Parker showed a reckless disregard for the lives of Richneck Elementary School students on Jan. 6, 2023, according to indictments unsealed Tuesday in Newport News Circuit Court.
Each of the charges is punishable by up to five years in prison.

Parker was working the day the 6-year-old fired a single shot at his teacher, Abigail Zwerner, during a reading class. Zwerner has filed a $40 million lawsuit alleging that Parker ignored several warnings that the boy had a gun in school that day. Zwerner was seriously hurt in the shooting, but has recovered.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/09/u...-shooting.html

Quote:
Ex-Assistant Principal at School Where 6-Year-Old Shot Teacher Is Indicted

A former administrator at Richneck Elementary School in Newport News, Va., where a first-grade teacher was shot last year, has been charged with eight counts of child abuse and neglect.
Old 04-10-2024, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Southside Virginia. Sometimes in the mountains. Any mountains will do.
A little more info--

https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news...y-child-abuse/

The link looks wonky for me but you should be able to get there.
Old 04-10-2024, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Off topic, but those worthless, idiot parents of the Michigan school shooter were sentenced to 10-15 years yesterday. It's nice to see some accountability.
Old 04-10-2024, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake View Post
Off topic, but those worthless, idiot parents of the Michigan school shooter were sentenced to 10-15 years yesterday. It's nice to see some accountability.
Ditto!
Trump For Prison 2024-2084 MAGA!
Old 04-10-2024, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Lake, I personally don't think you're off-topic. I think there's an undercurrent here that connects so many of these shootings, or stabbings, or head-bashings, or whatever mayhem some of our (meaning the children of our communities, not necessarily my kids--or yours ) children commit on others. I'm no expert, and I surely don't have an answer, except that (IMO only) the fix MUST start at the lowest possible level. Not the state, not the schools, not peers or "influencers". It has to start in the family, in the earliest days of a child's life, and grow from there; and the effort has to find a rich community environment to nurture it. Sadly, many of the young parents I'm acquainted with don't know how to model the necessary parenting skills, because they've never been modeled FOR them. They may see and understand the need, but they don't know how to make it happen.

Equally sadly, I'll bet that the Crumbleys serve maybe 3-5 years, if that. More for him since he couldn't keep his mouth shut. He probably won't be able to behave himself in prison, either.

One last link re Ms. Zwerner's ordeal: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ack-rcna147247

/rant over
Old 04-10-2024, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roses78 View Post
Lake, I personally don't think you're off-topic. I think there's an undercurrent here that connects so many of these shootings, or stabbings, or head-bashings, or whatever mayhem some of our (meaning the children of our communities, not necessarily my kids--or yours ) children commit on others. I'm no expert, and I surely don't have an answer, except that (IMO only) the fix MUST start at the lowest possible level. Not the state, not the schools, not peers or "influencers". It has to start in the family, in the earliest days of a child's life, and grow from there; and the effort has to find a rich community environment to nurture it. Sadly, many of the young parents I'm acquainted with don't know how to model the necessary parenting skills, because they've never been modeled FOR them. They may see and understand the need, but they don't know how to make it happen.
BINGO!
Trump For Prison 2024-2084 MAGA!