GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,563
0 members and 2,563 guests
No Members online

Old 01-14-2021, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

They gave us the Sabin vaccine on sugar cubes at school back around 1963. Many of us knew families who had had a child with polio.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-14-2021, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Firefighter here - early 40s, good health. I just got the 1st dose of the Moderna vaccine today. The shot itself did not hurt at all. Thankfully, I did not have an immediate allergic reaction. No headache or brain fog. Just a tiny bit of tiredness that could be attributed to a poor night’s sleep. About 4-5 hours later, my shoulder is starting to get more sore. Not horrible sore; but, enough to be annoying when trying to move my arm around. My coworkers tell me that it will be worse tomorrow. I can come back tomorrow and report on day 2. LOL

AnchorAlum, I do not believe the arm soreness for the COVID vaccine has anything to do with aggressive handling by the medical staff. I happened to have our Chief Physician doing my shot today and he was quite gentle; but my arm is still sore. I am hearing the vast majority of people saying they had sore arms and so it seems unlikely that “everyone” had unskilled staff. Good news! You will not likely have a poor experience like you did as a child. Bad news...your arm will still probably be sore.

True and Constant
Old 01-14-2021, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Mine is always sore after a flu shot - and I get 3 allergy shots a month so have the same issue there - most likely from flinching because I HATE shots!
Old 01-15-2021, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Mine is always sore after a flu shot - and I get 3 allergy shots a month so have the same issue there - most likely from flinching because I HATE shots!
My mother and I were discussing the other day that some years the flu shot gives us a sore arm, some years not. One year I got a tetanus booster that made my arm hurt so much I could hardly move it. Last year I got a tetanus booster that caused nothing more than a little tenderness at the injection site. I just follow my doctor's usual guidance, and try to move my vaccinated arm a bit more than usual.

Half of my state moved into Phase 1B this week, and my teacher friends are already being contacted with appointment dates and times. Due to some pre-existing health issues, I'm eligible to be vaccinated in the latter half of Phase 1C, and I've already pre-registered. But I doubt I'll be getting my first dose until late February at the earliest.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
They gave us the Sabin vaccine on sugar cubes at school back around 1963. Many of us knew families who had had a child with polio.
As soon as the polio shot was first released, Bank of America was a distribution site. We stood in a long line to get our shot. A classmate of mine was one of the last kids to get polio before they released the vaccine.

DaffyKD
Old 01-15-2021, 10:27 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm a teacher, but my county in Illinois isn't to 1b yet. They just yesterday released a form to fill out to hear more when they're to 1b. The county is also working with my school district to set up sites for staff once they're to that point.

My grandfather and mother were both scheduled for vaccines in their county next week - but grandpa is now in the hospital COVID positive and in heart failure, and mom is his primary caregiver, so no idea if she will still be able to get it. She's getting tested today. She was set to return next week to the classroom as a teaching assistant.
Old 01-15-2021, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

bevinpiphi, I'm so sorry about your grandfather. Will offer prayers for healing, and skill and strength for the overworked medical staff caring for him. Also prayers for your mother.

I'm in COVID Central USA (Arizona) and supposedly in group 1C (whatever that means, the definitions seem to be shifting). Registered but not optimistic that I'll get either vaccine any time soon.

Just read an article about Vaccine Diplomacy and why it is critical that the USA get on board with other major nations (are we still considered a major nation after the last four years, not to mention the last ten days?). You can google the term for more info if you're so inclined.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 01-15-2021, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I think I had the polio vax in the late 60s at school and it was taken in plastic shot glasses and it was a clear, syrupy mixture.
I also remember getting the smallpox vaccine at school because I remember the school nurse walking through the classroom looking at our arms a few days (?) to look for the pox.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:27 PM

My in-laws (70+, Florida residents) got their first doses of the Moderna vaccine a few days ago. No side effects AFAIK.

I'm lining up for the shot as soon as I'm eligible. Hopefully my status as a cancer survivor will bump me up the list.

I'm worried that the covidiots will be out in droves as Mardi Gras approaches, despite the cancellation of parades and balls. But I doubt I'll be able to get the shot before MG.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Update Day 2 — Moderna Vaccine — When I posted yesterday, my shoulder was ok for about 5 hours, just a small amount of soreness. Then, all of a sudden, bam, like PKT4LIFE reported, I had a 7/10 on the discomfort/pain scale. I had a difficult time falling asleep due to the pain and so I started taking 1300mg of Tylenol every 8 hours. Today it's about 4 or 5/10 on the pain scale, but I can't raise my arm more than 90 degrees without significant discomfort. I was also a little tired today, but still no headache or muscle stiffness.

My coworker and her husband very recently had COVID. They were allowed to take the vaccine and were in line behind me yesterday. She reported to me that she has intense arm pain and her husband has a fever and massive body aches.

True and Constant
Old 01-16-2021, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
Update Day 2 — Moderna Vaccine — When I posted yesterday, my shoulder was ok for about 5 hours, just a small amount of soreness. Then, all of a sudden, bam, like PKT4LIFE reported, I had a 7/10 on the discomfort/pain scale. I had a difficult time falling asleep due to the pain and so I started taking 1300mg of Tylenol every 8 hours. Today it's about 4 or 5/10 on the pain scale, but I can't raise my arm more than 90 degrees without significant discomfort. I was also a little tired today, but still no headache or muscle stiffness.

My coworker and her husband very recently had COVID. They were allowed to take the vaccine and were in line behind me yesterday. She reported to me that she has intense arm pain and her husband has a fever and massive body aches.
You will feel much better tomorrow. Day 3 for me, I was 90% better. Yes, that arm pain intensified hours after the injection, I took Aleve to help with the pain

Some of my employees developed swollen lymph glands and now, a few have a red, warm circular rash at the injection site.
Old 01-16-2021, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKT4LIFE View Post
You will feel much better tomorrow. Day 3 for me, I was 90% better. Yes, that arm pain intensified hours after the injection, I took Aleve to help with the pain

Some of my employees developed swollen lymph glands and now, a few have a red, warm circular rash at the injection site.

Well, last night (late Day 2, after I posted) was horrible. My arm pain was so bad I cried. The 1300mg of Tylenol worked ok the first two doses, but was was not effective last night. This morning, Day 3, I cannot lift my arm above my waist. My shoulder unit is non-op and the deltoid in particular is still painful to move. I drove home from work with one hand. I tried to shower and sort of managed it.....but cried again. For today's round of pain meds, I decided to try 600 mg of ibuprofen and it seems to be working better than the Tylenol. Right now, I have a cold pack on my arm/shoulder. I hope this lifts overnight or I might have to dial in to my medical provider urgent care tomorrow.

True and Constant
Old 01-17-2021, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

My husband had his first dose of the Moderna vaccine 3 days ago and has had absolutely no discomfort of any sort. I'm so sorry for those of you who are having pain afterward -- I just wanted others to know that this after effect isn't universal.

My pediatrician sister said she's had parents ask her to do their child's vaccines instead of her nurse, and she responds with, "Trust me, you want the nurse. She does this all the time and I don't."

At my university, nursing students administer vaccines during the flu clinic each fall and they do a great job. The best vaccine I ever got (didn't feel anything at all, not a poke) was from a nursing professor who stepped in to help when the line got really long once.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Man, you don't want a doctor to do your shots. Any of them. My father was a doctor and his always HURT.

His nurse said it was because he hardly ever gave any.
Old 01-17-2021, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

My parents have their appointments set up for next week. Hoping for minimal side effects.

I donated blood today and the nurse who was working had mild COVID a few months ago (no symptoms other than joint and muscle aches). She had her first shot last week and had no side effects. Doesn't know if it means she is lucky or if the symptoms were mild because she has the antibodies.