GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,530
0 members and 1,530 guests
No Members online

Old 01-17-2007, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

If you could?

Hey NPC GCers and anyone else who wants to comment...

I have been reading about the different campuses and how some are going skitless and some no frills at all. And I was wondering if you could either bring food/balloons back to parties or forget the skit night, which would you want?

I personal am a frills can of girl... it is what makes recruitment recruitment I think. But I also think that we could go skitless and add in a deeper conversation night and get more out of it. Something more than open house but less than pref night convo.

What do you all think?
Each day has enough trouble of its own!" ~Matthew 6:34
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-17-2007, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm obviously jockin' your posts today, LOL......

Could I add that I'd really like to hear NPC members descriptions of an ideal rush?

When my mom rushed at Ferris State University in Michigan, NPHC and NPC orgs participated together. I'm saying that to hopefully allow people's imaginations to run wild and not be limited in the discription of an ideal rush, be it frills or no frills, skitless or skitful.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:00 PM
GreekChat Member

My chapter did it both ways, with skit and without, and we were happy to not have to do the skit anymore when our campus went no-frills. We replaced skit day with slide show (now video) day instead, which we felt gave a better idea of what we were about. It showcased our activities and accomplishments, and our sense of humor. And, it freed up the time we would've spent preparing the skit to practice songs and whatever else.

We liked no frills recruitment, but I wish we could've been a little more relaxed when it came to decorations. Our recruitment was in classrooms, so we would've liked to have transformed the room a little more than what we were allowed (except during preference, when we could go all out). What I really can't imagine rush without is the songs...even though I can't sing, I always loved the songs during rush.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:36 AM

Half the time, we didn't even do a skit when we were ALLOWED to do a skit. Some of the other groups didn't either. It just seemed silly. Food, on the other hand, is never silly.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I think taking away the skit and replacing it with a video was the best decision UCF Panhellenic ever made. We spent the year documenting our sisterhood and spent a lot more time during Spirit Week and recruitment focused on conversation and choosing the right women, instead of remembering lines and complex dance moves. I don't think losing the skit took away from recruitment; if anything the video truly showcased what it was like to be part of a sorority. Plus we got to sleep at a decent hour each night because we didn't have extra rehearsals and extra extra decorations to hang! We also got to share the video with our alumnae and parents during Family Weekend and Founders Day.

If I had my choice, I'd have food-- nothing elaborate, but at my school we only had soda and water. I think it would be nice to have fruit and cookies, at the very least-- nothing overboard or too rich. But when you're marching from house to house in the Florida summer sun, something in your tummy might be nice. I've always said that UCF Recruitment is the ultimate diet plan for PNMs and sorority women-- you have a packed schedule and you're too nervous to eat during those precious moments where you might actually have time to get food!
Old 01-19-2007, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Back in the day (as in...the year before my freshman year...), at my university, the NPC sorority recruitment allowed skits AND frills (at least, that's how I understand it). My freshman year, when I was going through recruitment, a lot of the women were talking about how they had just changed Skit Round to Sisterhood Round, so no one REALLY knew what they were supposed to do exactly. Pretty much every sorority just made this really cute video and they decorated the rooms they were in with sisterly pictures and such.

So, for me, I'd have to say I'd choose frills over skits, mostly because I've never known the skit idea. But I LOVE the way our rooms always look all decked out and pretty.