GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,154
3 members and 2,151 guests
John, Low D Flat, zdaidjunioro429

Old 01-07-2007, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

a PNM with a bachelor's degree

I'm in a sorority at one of the SUNY Schools and received an email from a PNM who's coming to my school for second bachelors. Is she allowed to go through recruitment and join a sorority? Our panhell office doesn't really say anything except that as long as she's a full-time undergrad, she can go through recruitment. Aside from the fact that she'll be older than most of the oldest members, what do your chapters do about having a rushee that already has a bachelor's degree?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-07-2007, 05:46 PM
Unregistered-

Check out this thread

I know that technically she's not a graduate student, but her academic status definitely puts on some limitations.

She can go through recruitment, but most sororities have policies that prohibit women who already hold a bachelor's degree from joining as a collegian. You would have to check with the sororities on your campus on their policies.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:15 PM
Guest1

Lightbulb

Definately a good move talking with the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs. IF they say she can rush, then awesome for the PNM! If you think your individual organization might have a problem, maybe call your I/HQ? If you learn something, you should relay it to OFSA. It would be awful if a girl was extended a bid, but later found out that her GLO doesn't allow 2nd degree students.

Last edited by Guest1; 01-08-2007 at 02:18 PM. Reason: oops
Old 01-10-2007, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Re:update

I talked to the panhell office the other day and the advisor said she could rush and be extended a bid because she IS an undergrad student pursuing a bachelor's degree (even though she already has one). Many transfer juniors rush and join chapters at our school so she might not feel that old/awkward pledging with younger group of girls...if she ends up joining a chapter that is.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolm7878 View Post
I talked to the panhell office the other day and the advisor said she could rush and be extended a bid because she IS an undergrad student pursuing a bachelor's degree (even though she already has one). Many transfer juniors rush and join chapters at our school so she might not feel that old/awkward pledging with younger group of girls...if she ends up joining a chapter that is.
You need to check your organization's bylaws, as they will trump anything that panhell says about who can receive bids.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:35 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
You need to check your organization's bylaws, as they will trump anything that panhell says about who can receive bids.
I agree.

To the OP, are you sure that the advisor checked with each sorority's HQ?

As ErinKathleenNJ pointed out earlier, it'd suck if she got permission from campus Panhellenic to rush, be extended a bid from a sorority, only to find out that she wasn't eligible for a bid in the first place because she already has an undergraduate degree.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:23 AM

If she's in an entirely new program (i.e. she has a degree in education and she's now an accounting major) and starting at the same point as any other freshman in that program, I can't see where the fact that she has another degree should matter. She's not a grad student. I'm sure most national sororities wouldn't have a problem with someone who has a degree from a 2 year college.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:48 AM
Guest1

Talking

Good luck to the PNM!! I hope she finds her home