GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,422
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, indisigma00
» Online Users: 2,528
2 members and 2,526 guests
Cookiez17, indisigma00

Old 08-05-2012, 10:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Some of my sisters who are very involved in Girl Scouts often talk about the similarities between Girl Scouts and sororities- values based, community service oriented, focused on personal development of women and leadership skills- and there are Girl Scouts/Girl Guides in 145 countries so you could use that as an analogy, and then explain some of the differences- membership begins in college, is life long, selective and sometimes live together in residence at their college with a stronger social component.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-05-2012, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

I once had an Australian roommate to whom I was trying to explain sorority life. She said it was a lot like the dorms at her boarding school. The dorms had a selection process and your chances were better if you were a legacy. Each dorm had certain traditions, colors, etc. and there were some that were more desirable than others.

Looking back, it sounded very Harry Potterish!
Old 08-15-2012, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

I tell people it is a women's-only social and community service organization and you are invited to membership (or not) through an interview process.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

ummm, I was totally searching for something else when I ran across this thread and I had to share this short but funny story.

My old roommate was in a sorority and while studying abroad she met this guy who didn't understand the concept of "sorority." She said he was Irish or something, i don't remember, but when she started explaining it to him he goes "OOOH! Like a Laaady Brigaaaade?!" She told me the story impersonating his Irish accent and to this day I bust out laughing when I think about it.

She just paused and said, "Yyyyea. Like a lady brigade."

I die.

*disclaimer*
I'm a new member of greekchat but I've lurked for years. just wanted to say whas up!
Old 09-24-2012, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

When I studied abroad I explained it as a secret society. I found out that my Spanish prior to arriving in Spain was so bad that my host mom thought I lived in an orphanage from the explanation on my introduction letter. Her daughter had spent two years at a high school in the US and told her a lot of poor stereotypes of greeks. I think she figured it out eventually. :-)

"We are who we pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut