GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Phi Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,356
2 members and 2,354 guests
LaneSig

Old 07-20-2009, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TenaciousE Send a message via Skype™ to TenaciousE
Question Starting a Chapter

I attend a University abroad, where naturally there is no fraternities or Greek Life in General. However, I have been rigorously researching fraternities and have taken the most interest into Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Incorporated. I have been searching for a way to not only obtain membership despite the fact that I study at a University in London, England, but also the possibility of chartering a chapter there. Unfortunately thus far it seems as though that is not possible to solely obtain membership whilst doing my undergraduate at the University, however, it does seem possible although difficult to charter a chapter at my University.

In doing so my goal is to hopefully open the door for many others like myself to study abroad and experience exactly what the outside world has to offer.

I have reviewed the Alpha Phi Alpha chartering document many times, and understand the 'paper work' required to do so. But I would like to hear what other things are necessary as well as what 'Hurdles' must be overcome in order to charter a new chapter. Anyone with any knowledge/advice would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone knows someone themselves who has experience in chartering a chapter, please notify him of my thread or ask those persons to get in touch with me.

Thank You In advanced for your time
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-20-2009, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Sending you a private message now... please be on the lookout.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

*ahem*
Old 04-26-2011, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
*ahem*
lol
Old 04-27-2011, 07:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to TenaciousE Send a message via Skype™ to TenaciousE
Alpha Phi Alpha "Beta Psi Chapter" Established in London England.

To All Brothers, Future Brothers & Interests,

I write to you today, 2 years after my original thread, a very humbled member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity's Incorporated's newly chartered Beta Psi Chapter in London, England. Thanks to a lot of hard work, faith, determination, and Brothers who shared our dream of establishing a chapter in London, I can now say that Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc. is the first Greek-Lettered organization to have a college chapter in the United Kingdom! Our dream is for the light of Alpha to shine and spread not only in the U.K. but to other countries and continents alike. For the socio-economic and educational troubles that plague our communities plague all communities world wide. We not just as men of Alpha, but as human beings must answer the call to help our fellow brothers and sisters. I hope to someday soon see other organizations from those in the Divine Nine, to Latin as well as Multicultural making a difference here in the U.K. as well as globally. The road is long, and the work endless, however together we can and will be the guiding light for change.

Fraternally Yours,

Eric T. B. Lomotey
#4 Beta Psi Chapter
Spring 2011
Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Holy shit! Congratulations! That is so awesome!
Old 04-27-2011, 09:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Yay! And LOL @ Sen. Congratulations to all of you!
Old 04-27-2011, 11:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Holy shit! Congratulations! That is so awesome!
LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
Yay! And LOL @ Sen. Congratulations to all of you!

We are proud to have Beta Psi Chapter BACK. It was originally chartered in 1938 in London upon the suggestion of a Mu Lambda Chapter (my chapter) Brother named Leo Hansberry who was living in London.

Now, Beta Psi also has an alumni chapter in London, Rho Chi Lambda. We're all very happy for the Alpha presence in London and we collectively wish them well.

Note: After Beta Psi Chapter was dechartered, it moved for a period of time to the University of Oregon. Although the moving of a charter from one location to another is common in Alpha (Iota Chapter from Syracuse to Morris Brown; Delta Chapter from U. Toronto to Huston-Tillotson) it's not common at all for a dechartered chapter to be able to return to its original location. So kudos for that as well.

Last edited by Senusret I; 04-27-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
LOL!

We are proud to have Beta Psi Chapter BACK. It was originally chartered in 1938 in London upon the suggestion of a Mu Lambda Chapter (my chapter) Brother named Leo Hansberry who was living in London.

Now, Beta Psi also has an alumni chapter in London, Rho Chi Lambda. We're all very happy for the Alpha presence in London and we collectively wish them well.

Note: After Beta Psi Chapter was dechartered, it moved for a period of time to the University of Oregon. Although the moving of a charter from one location to another is common in Alpha (Iota Chapter from Syracuse to Morris Brown; Delta Chapter from U. Toronto to Huston-Tillotson) it's not common at all for a dechartered chapter to be able to return to its original location. So kudos for that as well.
This is really incredible.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
LOL!
Well, let's be honest...how many people hop onto GC, tell us they are going to start a chapter, realize it's hard, and are never heard from again?
Old 04-27-2011, 06:27 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ TRUE.

This was definitely tenacity on the part of the young men as well as a current administration which is interested in international expansion in the first place. A few years too early or too late and I don't think the outcome would have been quite the same.