GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,869
3 members and 2,866 guests
Cookiez17, fmanning, Xidelt

Old 12-18-2008, 12:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Have you ever nominated someone for honorary membership?

Have you ever nominated someone for honorary membership in your GLO?

If, for your org, honorary membership = alumni/ae initiation, then I'm talking to you too.

I am NOT asking for you to tell me your org's process if it is secret.

I am just asking you how it made you feel, whether the person knew they were being considered, if it was a lot of work, did you cry before, during, or after it was all over, LOL, what sort of gifts you gave them, if anything, etc.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-18-2008, 08:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, I have. NOTE TO THE SHOPPERS: Do not contact me. I'm not interested in sponsoring YOU.

In my positions with my sorority, I have worked and continue to work closely with collegiate chapters. I am a hands-on volunteer, so I develop personal relationships with the chapter members as well. Please allow me to explain why I chose to seek honorary membership for the most recent woman - we'll call her Katie. Katie's two daughters had both been initiated as collegians. During the oldest's term, Katie single-handedly organized a Mother's Club - the first time it had happened at this chapter. Even when she only had 3 or 4 responses, she maintained the Club and continued to grow it until her youngest graduated. It is now huge and tremendously active. In this capacity and as well as just a mom, Katie gave selflessly of her time and talents for the improvement of the sorority. Every retreat, every recruitment event, every workshop - she was there with treats and little gifts from the mothers.

One of the other advisors and I thought that she was an excellent candidate for honorary membership. She was a professional woman - she had attended college and earned a bachelors degree. And there were other considerations as well.

To answer Senusret's questions: The feeling we got was pretty cool. It was neat to share something like this with a person that we already KNEW was going to respect it and that we KNEW was going to be a very active part of the sorority's future - regardless of whether or not she knew ritual. She did know that she was going to be initiated, but there was a portion of time when another advisor and I researched the process and obtained all other initial permissions prior to asking her interest. Additionally, we met with the daughters first to see what they would think about it. (They were thrilled, and we let them do the asking.)

A lot of work? There was some paperwork to be completed in the preceding weeks by both the alumna and by us as sponsors. She had some additional small things - learning about our history, etc. But I wouldn't call it work. Crying. I'm not a crier during real life things for some reason. I cry at the end of Die Hard, but I don't cry at weddings - I'm weird. So no, I didn't. But Katie and her daughters got misty. Gifts. I don't think that I gave a personal gift. The chapter may have, though. Plus we always ordered tshirts and stuff for her.

It was a great experience, and Katie continues to support the chapter and its events and come to alumnae events - even though the youngest is in grad school. She had never considered alumnae initiation and therefore was not performing her selfless acts in order to get initiated as a reward. Katie was not the only AI that I sponsored. Out of the four that I have been involved with, I can happily say that ALL four were deserving and continue to support the chapter and alumnae association - many years after their initiation.

DISCLAIMER: I detest sorority shopping, and I am appalled when women seek membership to fill a gaping wound left over from their unsuccessful collegiate recruitment. Personally, I do not support those types of AI. I prefer - as Sen titled this thread - the term Honorary Membership. And to reserve the HONOR for someone who deserves it and is recognized by member(s) for their personal contributions already made.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for responding. I recently participated in the nominating process for a potential honorary brother of APO and it made me appreciate why some NPC women are so touchy about it. LOL

When it's done properly, it's a lot of work but profoundly meaningful for everyone involved.

Our invitee will be receiving his letter of invitation just before Christmas. I think the hardest part now will be waiting to see if he says yes. I mean, we assume he will, it's not like Lenny Kravitz or somebody. But you never know.

I also think it would be very weird to field a request from someone we didn't already know who wanted to be an honorary brother of APO. (We don't have alumni membership)
Old 12-18-2008, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
I have sponsored someone too and it felt great. She is a good friend. I always brought her along to our open events. Mostly for company on the ride but I knew that she would like whatever was going on. My sisters enjoyed her company and she theirs. Like jwright25's candidate, my friend always felt like " a sister without a badge". When we asked her to join, it was a complete surprise and she was honored. The paperwork was straightforward and didn't take long for approval.

I didn't cry like I thought that I would. I was too excited. For an initiation present, I gave her a basket of AOII goodies. It included things like a mug, magnets, pens, a shirt and an AOII history book.

Conrgrats on your candidate, Senusret!
Old 12-18-2008, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Awww that's awesome, aopirose
Old 12-18-2008, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

I was recently involved with an alumna initiate, and it was a wonderful process! One of the chapters with which I work completed a massive chapter house renovation last year, and the interior designer we worked with was amazing. She went out of her way to get to know the collegians and to understand what they wanted and needed for their house. She also made sure she had alumnae opinions and really just went above and beyond what could have been required.

Throughout the process, all sisters involved- collegians and alumnae- came to know her well, and to respect her. We knew she would be an amazing sister. I initiated the process without her knowledge, and once the preliminary approvals had been secured, myself and other members of the Housing Corporation took her to dinner and asked her if she would be interested. She was, and she completed her end of the application process.

So, she knew it was coming, but we surprised her with her official notification that she had been approved by National Council at the Grand Re-Opening Ceremony when the house was complete, which was attended by alumnae, national volunteers, collegians, parents, etc. She was very surprised, and yes, myself and several others cried! The chapter presented her with some gifts, and several of us attended her initiation. She is now an active member of our housing corporation (making sure to keep up all the hard work put into the renovation!) and is also working with our national housing corporation to create some national standards. So, all in all, it was a wonderful experience! I hope your scenario turns out the same!
Old 12-18-2008, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

In my sorority, Honorary membership is regularly granted on a local and national level. As an Active (undergrad), our chapter sponsored a couple of people into Honorary membership. They have ranged from women who truly uphold the ideals of the sorority (famous or not), to a biological sister of another Active who was very involved with the sorority, but due to health reasons was unable to meet the requirements of Active membership. It's always special to me!
Old 02-05-2009, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Update: He said yes.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
YAY!!!!
Old 02-05-2009, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

I am soooo relieved lol....
Old 02-05-2009, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Denise_DPhiE
I'm late to the party on this but yes, I have. Once. Someone I met online that I nominiated for membership. We do not do many AIs (unless tied to a colony like their advisor) so this woman was special.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
Quote:
WOOOHOOOO!!!!

(Now I want details, Brother! )

Last edited by Sister Havana; 02-05-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:51 AM
GreekChat Member

The president of Alabama is an honorary phi. It was done about three years ago.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
YAAAAAAAAY!!!
Life Member Fall 2008
Be a Leader, Be a Friend, Be of Service
Old 02-06-2009, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

What a touching thread....It brought back memories of my chapter when I was in school. We almost never initiate honorary members but we contacted national and received permission to initiate our house mother. She was so special to so many of us for years and we suprised her one night. She thought it was just a regular chapter night but then the president asked if she could come "help" with something. We all cried like babies. She proudly wore her badge as if she had had it for years!!