GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 909
0 members and 909 guests
No Members online

Old 04-21-2017, 09:10 AM

Belmont- Everyone Gets a Bid?

On Sigma Chi's FB page yesterday, a member posted that his nephew (a Phi Kappa Tau) who attends Belmont University(TN) informed him that Belmont's administration is making the proposal that anyone who goes through rush is guaranteed a bid- similar to Tufts.

I've tried to find online sources but can't. Has anyone else heard this proposal at Belmont?

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 04-21-2017, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
On Sigma Chi's FB page yesterday, a member posted that his nephew (a Phi Kappa Tau) who attends Belmont University(TN) informed him that Belmont's administration is making the proposal that anyone who goes through rush is guaranteed a bid- similar to Tufts.

I've tried to find online sources but can't. Has anyone else heard this proposal at Belmont?
See
http://belmont.edu/organizations/greek/how_to_join.html

Belmont University's Greek Life Mission is to promote student development by providing opportunities for scholarship, community service, campus involvement and fraternal friendship by ensuring all members a high quality and safe undergraduate experience. Eligibility requirements are as follows:

A cumulative GPA that meets the chapter's minimum requirements for new membership
A disciplinary record considered in good standing with the university (no violations resulting in probation, limited or institutional)
Must list more that one chapters on their Membership Recruitment Acceptance Binding Agreement (MRABA) following preference round (NPC Organizations)
Attendance at all formal recruitment events (IFC & NPC Organizations)
(my bolding)Any Belmont student who is eligible to receie a bid from a Greek organization will receive a bid from at least one Greek lettered organization.

Interfraternity Council: Alpha Tau Omega, Phi Kappa Tau
Panhellenic Association: Alpha Gamma Delta, Alpha Sigma Tau, Kappa Alpha Theta, Phi Mu,
Old 04-21-2017, 02:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
For the women, it looks as if only 1 woman was not matched after bid matching and quota additions. Doesn't seem like that's a huge number.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
See

Belmont University's Greek Life Mission is to promote student development by providing opportunities for scholarship, community service, campus involvement and fraternal friendship by ensuring all members a high quality and safe undergraduate experience. Eligibility requirements are as follows:

A cumulative GPA that meets the chapter's minimum requirements for new membership
A disciplinary record considered in good standing with the university (no violations resulting in probation, limited or institutional)
Must list more that one chapters on their Membership Recruitment Acceptance Binding Agreement (MRABA) following preference round (NPC Organizations)
(my bolding)Any Belmont student who is eligible to receive a bid from a Greek organization will receive a bid from at least one Greek lettered organization.

Panhellenic Association: Alpha Gamma Delta, Alpha Sigma Tau, Kappa Alpha Theta, Phi Mu,

Isn't Tufts (with their 'bids for everyone eligible' process) thinking about getting rid of its greek system? So is this Belmont's way of starting down the slope of forcing undesirable smart students into their greek homes and letting the greek system fall into its own nonexistence due to bad behaviors by those who otherwise would not have been bid?

In addition, is Belmont (and I do mean the school, panhel already said yes) EVER going to accept their chosen Gamma Phi Beta colony? It's still listed as a TBD colonization date on GPhi's HQ website and it's been four or five years since they were chosen. And what would Belmont's "absolute bids to everyone eligible" process mean for any new colony?

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I've been aware of this situation for a few months now. What happened was a PNM did not receive a bid and the parents made a big stink. The problem is ATO is suspended till Fall 2017. This makes Phi Tau the only fraternity able to recruit this semester. We opted NOT to recruit this semester since every male attending our rush event(s) would have to receive a bid.

The kicker is you can release the pledges after the first 4 weeks. So, you take a PMN you do not want, take their pledge fee $$ and release him after 4 weeks...

Belmont only has formal recruitment. We wanted to have informal recruitment but the University would not allow us.

Last edited by PKT4LIFE; 04-21-2017 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Editing
Old 04-21-2017, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

Everyone gets a trophy. Ugh!
Old 04-21-2017, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I guess we need to determine what they consider "eligible to receive a bid." If they mean eligible as abiding by the rules they list above that, then they are adhering to NPC RFM guidelines.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's an open letter to the Belmont community. It's from the PKT and ATO Presidents at Belmont.

https://medium.com/@austincoleman_67...y-2943e2cada62

Also, there's a petition going around to express concerns/dislike for this new policy

Last edited by PKT4LIFE; 04-21-2017 at 10:34 PM. Reason: editing
Old 10-19-2017, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
See

(my bolding)Any Belmont student who is eligible to receie a bid from a Greek organization will receive a bid from at least one Greek lettered organization.

My high school senior daughter is considering Belmont University and I noticed in the link above that recommendations for Panhellenic sororities are not "supported" by the university, so as to promote inclusivity.
Does this mean my daughter's recruitment would be negatively affected should recs be submitted on her behalf? Do they also somehow exclude or disguise the fact during recruitment that she is a legacy? Furthermore, don't many NPC groups require a rec in order to be initiated? How does Belmont dictate the customs and rules of the NPCs?
Old 10-19-2017, 04:52 PM

No Panhellenic can say that recs are required to go thru rush as each sorority has different policies (some require a rec for a woman to receive a bid and some don't). This is just a more, shall we say, "attitude-ey" way of stating that. But recs go straight to the sorority chapters anyway, so Panhel and Belmont have no idea what is being done with them.
Old 10-19-2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Any Belmont student who is eligible to receie a bid from a Greek organization will receive a bid from at least one Greek lettered organization.
So, for NPC sororities:

- If a woman attends only one pref party and can therefore only really list that one chapter on her MRABA, which rule takes precedence? Is the chapter she preffed required to give her a bid because "any Belmont student who can receive a bid and attends all FR events will receive a bid", or is the chapter not required to give her a bid because she listed only one chapter on her MRABA? (If she was only invited to one pref party, it isn't an ISP. If she went to two pref parties and then suicided, that's another story. I'm assuming that, with just four chapters on campus, the max number of pref parties you can attend is two.)
- Can a woman who was invited to only one pref party just write down two chapters on her MRABA just so that she's complied with the "must list more than one chapter" rule? If so, is it possible that the sorority that she writes down that didn't invite her to pref could be forced to give her a bid?
- If a woman is cut across the board before pref, she has attended all FR events to which she was invited - she just wasn't invited to pref. She could theoretically sneak in with all the other PNMs who went to pref, and complete an MRABA and just list two chapters she liked. Does that mean some chapter will be forced to give her a bid? Or not - because, while she attended all FR events to which she was invited, she did not attend all FR events because she did not participate in pref?

In NPC-land, once a PNM gets a bid, that's it - unless she chooses to depledge, she's getting initiated. Chapters can't release new members.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:09 AM
GreekChat Member

1) Even if she listed another she won't be on their bid list so they can't "match" her to them.
2) See above. Typically,unless something really bizarre comes up at pref, pref invitees are on the bid list - somewhere. Maybe at the bottom but on it.. All this is going to do is skew quota but Belmont's recruitment isn't that big anyway.
3) Now this is stupid. She won't be on anyone's bid list nor invite list. Don't you think PH could figure that out????
Old 10-20-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
3) Now this is stupid. She won't be on anyone's bid list nor invite list. Don't you think PH could figure that out????
I think this question came up because, if I recall, the groups at Tufts were forced to take women into their pref parties that they had previously released (and ergo put them on their bid list).

As you said above we need to know for sure what they truly mean by "eligible." If they're taking existing NPC rules and twisting them around to "look at us! We are so awesome and welcoming and not like those other snobby schools" then that is pretty much the definition of lame. The ones really getting the short end of the stick are the guys.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:33 AM

Wouldn't "guaranteed" bids lead to more hazing to eliminate NMs the chapter never wanted?
Old 10-20-2017, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
1) Even if she listed another she won't be on their bid list so they can't "match" her to them.
2) See above. Typically,unless something really bizarre comes up at pref, pref invitees are on the bid list - somewhere. Maybe at the bottom but on it.. All this is going to do is skew quota but Belmont's recruitment isn't that big anyway.
Belmont's recruitment isn't that big relative to, say, big SEC schools, but I believe quota has been in the high 70s for them the past couple years. Which is also part of the issue with administration-Gamma Phi Beta was selected to colonize but hasn't been allowed to come on because administration doesn't want Greek life to get any bigger...but also is requiring that everyone who wants to join gets a bid?

I remember someone with experience at Tufts saying that if a woman was cut from all the chapters there, the advisors would meet and essentially play hot potato with the least desirable PNMs until they all fell somewhere on someone's bid list.