GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 1,453
0 members and 1,453 guests
No Members online

Old 12-14-2012, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Rushing as a JD student?

Hi All,

I'm thinking about rushing at the university i get my JD degree at. While I haven't narrowed it all the way down, but so far University of Denver, University of Iowa and Arizona State University are the front runners.

Anyone have any advice?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-14-2012, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfb View Post
Hi All,

I'm thinking about rushing at the university i get my JD degree at. While I haven't narrowed it all the way down, but so far University of Denver, University of Iowa and Arizona State University are the front runners.

Anyone have any advice?
Most of the folks I know in law school barely have time for school, much less rushing.

Last edited by knight_shadow; 12-20-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:08 AM
GreekChat Member

While Knight Shadow brings up an important discrepancy in your story, possibly you mean NIC-style fraternity rush, much like NPC women like myself tend to think all sorority rush means NPC.

At Iowa it would be unlikely for you to have a successful outcome in rush. But I can't imagine it being a good idea regardless. And from what I can tell, your law school class seems to be a fraternity itself, where you maintain those friendships and contacts the rest of your life. I wouldn't muddy the waters with diluted loyalties.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:51 AM
GreekChat Member

local multicultural chapter.. that's why we didn't have anything about lavaliering..

I Greek life is amazing and i'd love to continue to be a part of it, but there is no interest in becoming a national org.

Also, if you could remove that quote so people don't stop right there, that'd be great.

Last edited by sfb; 12-15-2012 at 01:53 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

What type of organization are you wanting to attempt to join? Greek Life encompasses a lot of different types of organizations, some of which would probably be fine with JD candidates, others might not.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 12-15-2012, 04:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfb View Post
Anyone have any advice?
My advice is discard this idea until you're at least a 2L.

Kevin is right that some orgs would probably be quite willing to consider grad students. But when you're a 1L, you need to focus on school. Completely. By second year you'll be better able to gauge whether you have the time and energy for law school and for being active membership of a fraternity.

Perhaps you will decide you do have the time and energy, but I wouldn't put any money on it.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
My advice is discard this idea until you're at least a 2L.

Kevin is right that some orgs would probably be quite willing to consider grad students. But when you're a 1L, you need to focus on school. Completely. By second year you'll be better able to gauge whether you have the time and energy for law school and for being active membership of a fraternity.

Perhaps you will decide you do have the time and energy, but I wouldn't put any money on it.
It's also worth mentioning that there are co-ed social fraternities for law students on some campuses. We had a couple.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma