GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,174
1 members and 1,173 guests
LaneSig

Old 04-02-2010, 04:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Sigma Chi Suspended at Miami (OH)

Kevin and others,

Sigma Chi's chapter at Miami has been suspended, according to this article on a newspaper's site:

http://www.oxfordpress.com/news/oxfo...cal-news&imw=Y

Excerpts:
Updated 2:40 PM Friday, April 2, 2010
OXFORD — The Alpha chapter of Sigma Chi fraternity has been suspended from Miami University for violating the code of student conduct on damage, intoxication and disorderly conduct.

In February, it was reported that fraternity members damaged hotel rooms at a Columbus hotel, were intoxicated during the incident and stole items from the hotel gift shop. The chapter was registered for a workshop in Columbus that weekend.

The fraternity was found responsible for violating the code of conduct in a hearing March 2 with the Office of Ethics and Conflict Resolution. The fraternity appealed the decision and on March 26, original sanctions were decreased by the university appeals board to the follow:

• Sigma Chi fraternity will be suspended from Miami University from March 2 to Dec. 31, 2010.

• . . . a reorganization plan must be presented to the Office of Ethics and Student Conflict Resolution and approved by both the Office of Ethics and Student Conflict Resolution and the Cliff Alexander Office of Fraternal Life by Dec. 3, 2010.

• Upon the fraternity’s return to Miami . . . the fraternity will be placed on disciplinary probation from Jan. 1 to Aug. 23, 2011. The chapter is not permitted to host, co-host, or sponsor any functions with alcohol on its property or elsewhere during the period of probation.

• The chapter will be required to host three alcohol educational programs with at least 80 percent chapter attendance required at all programs . . . .

Last edited by exlurker; 04-02-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-02-2010, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, the Alpha Chapter?
Old 04-02-2010, 05:24 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305 Send a message via Skype™ to sigtau305
That's a shame.

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!
Old 04-02-2010, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

It looks like the school's Administration is trying to make it hard for the house to get new members for the next 2 years.

For this to happen to an Alpha chapter is painful for everyone in Greek life. I'm sure that everyone hopes that the reorganization will be successful.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
Wow, the Alpha Chapter?
Yes and in Sigma Chi's case it really is the school where they were founded. Some GLOs assign it differently, for Chi Omega for example, the founding chapter is Psi.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Yes and in Sigma Chi's case it really is the school where they were founded. Some GLOs assign it differently, for Chi Omega for example, the founding chapter is Psi.
swerve

And for us it is Theta

/swerve
Old 12-16-2010, 09:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Has there been any info on whether they are recolonizing? Their suspension ends on 12/31/10.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostwriter View Post
Has there been any info on whether they are recolonizing? Their suspension ends on 12/31/10.

I know that Sammy is recolonizing next semester, but haven't heard anything about Sigman Chi.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:58 PM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. (Like that wouldn't happen anyway.)

When Miami suspends a chapter, it does not mean that they are closed. The suspension means that the fraternity or sorority cannot participate in certain campus events, hold socials, even take pledge classes for a certain time. Sigma Chi (and the sororities that were recently suspended) did not lose its charter, so it will not be recolonizing. It will simply be taken off of its suspension critieria and allowed to participate fully in campus activities.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 12-20-2010, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong. (Like that wouldn't happen anyway.)

When Miami suspends a chapter, it does not mean that they are closed. The suspension means that the fraternity or sorority cannot participate in certain campus events, hold socials, even take pledge classes for a certain time. Sigma Chi (and the sororities that were recently suspended) did not lose its charter, so it will not be recolonizing. It will simply be taken off of its suspension critieria and allowed to participate fully in campus activities.
I think you are correct in that is usually the case but the way the article is written says:

Upon the fraternity’s return to Miami . . . the fraternity will be placed on disciplinary probation from Jan. 1 to Aug. 23, 2011. The chapter is not permitted to host, co-host, or sponsor any functions with alcohol on its property or elsewhere during the period of probation.

So I just don't know if they have been there all along and/or the writer of the column just does not know what they are talking about.