GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,398
0 members and 2,398 guests
No Members online

Old 12-04-2008, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Want to re-activate a dormant chapter

I have been doing internet research about my idea and google led me to you fine people so I hope you can help. I am in my mid-thirties and was in a sorority in college. A few years after I graduated my chapter closed for alcohol violations/hazing. I continue to do some volunteer work for my org on the National level and have since I graduated.
After my company downsized I was laid off so I decided to change careers. I am going to get my Masters in Student Affairs and I start the program in August.
It's been close to 15 years or so that the chapter closed. I would like to see it re-opened. Would that be the same as colonizing? Would I have to form an interest group? Since I will be working in student affairs I think this would be great experience for me to really get inside the operations of expansion, plus I would love to see my chapter re-open. So the question I have is this- is the process the same, or since I am already a member and there is a closed chapter at my school, would the process be easier/different? I am not looking for an easy way out and I know this will be challenging I am just looking for the best way to go about this.
PS- I have already talked to council members about this and they said if the campus is open for expansion they would like to see the chapter active once again.
Thank you.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-04-2008, 11:43 PM

The process would be the same as for bringing on a brand new chapter. The school would first have to be open for expansion in order for any new Panhellenic sorority to colonize. Determine via the proper authority that the school is open for sorority expansion. That would be where you would start.

General explanation: If the school is open for expansion, they would then accept interest materials from sororities who are interested in colonizing there. From those materials, they would then select a few sororities to come and make expansion presentations to the school's Panhellenic Council. The council would then vote on which sorority they would like to colonize there. So even if the school is open, there is no guarantee that your sorority will be interested in returning OR that they'll be selected to present.

A group of women COULD form an interest group, and contact your sorority about wanting to become a chapter. But whether that group would successfully become a chapter of your sorority depends on whether the sorority is interested in returning there.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 12-04-2008 at 11:52 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:49 PM
GreekChat Member

So, let's just say they are open for expansion (I am not 100% about this, but I think they are, and I plan on contacting Greek Life to see) Would I have to find a group of 30 some girls in order for this to work? Since I will be a grad student and not living there, I don't see that happening. Has anyone ever run into this? Perhaps I could attempt to organize an interest group and assist in the process. What are all of your thoughts?
Old 12-04-2008, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeverse View Post
So, let's just say they are open for expansion (I am not 100% about this, but I think they are, and I plan on contacting Greek Life to see) Would I have to find a group of 30 some girls in order for this to work? Since I will be a grad student and not living there, I don't see that happening. Has anyone ever run into this? Perhaps I could attempt to organize an interest group and assist in the process. What are all of your thoughts?
If the school is open for expansion, they will let all 26 NPC sororities know. The sororities who are interested in forming a chapter there will submit interest materials.

From these materials, they'll pick 2 or 3 sororities to come and make expansion presentations. Then the Panhellenic Council will take a vote and select ONE of the sororities to officially colonize.

If selected, the sorority will conduct the colonization effort. They will plan and host colony recruitment events to recruit women for the colony.

So IF your sorority were selected to return to campus, you wouldn't need to worry about "finding an interest group."

Theoretically, if your school were open, an existing interest group could contact your sorority about becoming a colony. But whether that would be successful depends on whether your sorority is interested in returning there.

Your sorority most likely has expansion proceedures outlined on its website. I'd look there.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 12-05-2008 at 12:03 AM.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

Your sorority most likely has expansion proceedures outlined on its website. I'd look there.

Exactly. More detailed information about the process is usually on the private side. Good luck!
Old 12-05-2008, 10:47 AM
GreekChat Member

slight hijack...

How does this process differ if a group has been told they will be allowed to return after x number of years, or other similar situations of which I have heard? Do those chapters get to automatically return/recolonize after that number of years if their NHQ would like, or is it that they have "first dibs" if the campus opens for expansion after that said amount of years?
Old 12-05-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHeartOneWay View Post
How does this process differ if a group has been told they will be allowed to return after x number of years, or other similar situations of which I have heard? Do those chapters get to automatically return/recolonize after that number of years if their NHQ would like, or is it that they have "first dibs" if the campus opens for expansion after that said amount of years?
They have first dibs.

Even if they could override the normal NPC expansion rules, no group is going to want to recolonize if the campus conditions are sucky.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I contacted the university's greek life office and I was told that "although they are not against expansion at this time, some of the current sororities have low numbers." I followed up on whether or not it would be worth a try. So we shall see. If she says I can give it a try would I just contact someone at our HQ to send a packet? Or, would i approach Panhell first?
The only info I can find on my org's website is about interest groups trying to go NPC. I have an alumnae event coming up so I will ask the ladies what they think.
Thanks for your help. I am just trying to have a strong arguement and do all of my homework first so I don't end up looking like a fool.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
I contacted the university's greek life office and I was told that "although they are not against expansion at this time, some of the current sororities have low numbers." I followed up on whether or not it would be worth a try. So we shall see. If she says I can give it a try would I just contact someone at our HQ to send a packet? Or, would i approach Panhell first?
If they are not open for expansion, asking your HQ to submit a packet will do no good because they just aren't ready for it right now. If the sororities have low numbers, they aren't looking to expand at this time (all sororities generally need to be at campus total before a school will look at expansion). The Greek Life advisor is pretty much the authority on it. Expansion has to be approved by Greek Life before Panhellenic can vote on it, so talking to Panhellenic right now won't accomplish anything.

In a nutshell, it seems like they aren't looking to add a new sorority at this time. Talking to HQ or Panhellenic is not going to make them change their minds.

Lakers Nation.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:23 PM
Unregistered-

You know, this thread got me thinking. Ideally, we'd all like to see our closed/dormant chapters re-opened again.

Obviously you can't re-open a chapter whose campus has closed or gotten rid of Greek Life. But what about chapters that only lasted a few years? Chapters that got the sorority in heaps of trouble? I can't help but wonder if I/HQs intentionally stay away from certain campuses (either "ok, that might have not been the best idea then...maybe now's not a good time to try again" OR "yeah, we're never going back") where they had former chapters, even if that campus has opened up for expansion.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Also, sororities could have a "bad taste in their mouth" about how they were treated by the Panhellenic community and do not wish to return to a campus because of that reputation. I personally always love to see former chapters re-established if at all possible but sometimes it's not possible.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Still have questions

Maybe you misunderstood. She didn't say yes to expansion nor did she say no. She said they are not against it. She said some have low numbers and I think I know which ones she is talking about. There are two groups that come to mind that just want to stay very exclusive and small, while the other 5 are at or near total. So I am not giving up. If she says they can't expand at this time then so be it. I will let it go. But I am not sure that is what she said. Once she gets back to me I will assess the situation and go from there.
There are tons of alums from that chapter that I am friends with through volunteer opportunities, facebook (older alums mainly), and my alum network. They all want to see the chapter re-opened as well. It's been nearly 15 years so we are all older and wiser. I do think this is possible, and a new sorority is just what that campus needs to unite the greek community.
I just don't know where to go from here. Like I said, I want this to work so I want to seem like I know what i am talking about. I have emailed others weeks and months ago to get this rolling but email is slow at times that is why I decided to do more research on my own.
So- please help me here. Let's just say the college is interested in expanding. What is the next step? Do I approach Panhell with the idea or do I immediately notify the person at HQ to do this?
Again, thanks so much!!!
Old 12-05-2008, 11:08 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Maybe you misunderstood. She didn't say yes to expansion nor did she say no. She said they are not against it. She said some have low numbers and I think I know which ones she is talking about. There are two groups that come to mind that just want to stay very exclusive and small, while the other 5 are at or near total. So I am not giving up. If she says they can't expand at this time then so be it. I will let it go. But I am not sure that is what she said. Once she gets back to me I will assess the situation and go from there.
There are tons of alums from that chapter that I am friends with through volunteer opportunities, facebook (older alums mainly), and my alum network. They all want to see the chapter re-opened as well. It's been nearly 15 years so we are all older and wiser. I do think this is possible, and a new sorority is just what that campus needs to unite the greek community.
I just don't know where to go from here. Like I said, I want this to work so I want to seem like I know what i am talking about. I have emailed others weeks and months ago to get this rolling but email is slow at times that is why I decided to do more research on my own.
So- please help me here. Let's just say the college is interested in expanding. What is the next step? Do I approach Panhell with the idea or do I immediately notify the person at HQ to do this?
Again, thanks so much!!!
KSUViolet's post was very right on, so I think you're the one who might've misunderstood.

If the campus is ready to expand, I'm afraid there's nothing you can do. The proper procedures must be followed, regardless of support for one particular sorority formerly on campus.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
KSUViolet's post was very right on, so I think you're the one who might've misunderstood.

If the campus is ready to expand, I'm afraid there's nothing you can do. The proper procedures must be followed, regardless of support for one particular sorority formerly on campus.
Right. I think she's missing the point.

What I am saying is that there is NO next step if the school is not in favor of expanding. You can't talk to Panhellenic because they aren't the ones who make expansion decisions for the school, Greek Life does.

You can't talk to your HQ because it doesn't matter if they send packets and express interest.

As much as you may want this chapter back at this school, if they are not open, it can't happen. You can talk to them until you're blue in the face. You can call, email, whatever, all you want but it most likely won't make them change their minds. The current sororities are not at a size where they feel comfortable with adding a new sorority. If they are not ready to expand at this time, there's nothing for you to do.

The procedure states that a new chapter can't be started unless the proper authority says the campus is open and it's not. So in a nutshell there is nothing further for you to do. There are policies that need to be followed and talking to your HQ or Panhellenic can't change that.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 12-05-2008 at 11:39 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Plus, there's a difference between "We are open for expansion" and "Although we are not against expansion, some of the chapters have low numbers." That would indicate that although the Greek Advisor and Panhellenic Council are not against expansion, they can not open to expansion at this time.

It sounds like they might like to but they can not open yet.