GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,268
2 members and 1,266 guests
Cookiez17, Phrozen Sands

Old 05-24-2007, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
The truth of the matter is, you accept anyone of any race who acts like your group into your group. A typical, white bread girl wouldn't join a NPHC group because in the end she'd likely have little in common even if she believed in the goals of the group.
I disagree. I believe that we look for women who are comfortable with themselves and their surroundings. If, what you call a "typical, white bread girl" is comfortable around women of color, and doesn't let herself get bullied into feeling like she doesn't belong, she'll be fine. However, that's not the case usually.

Quote:
The same for the typical NPHC woman.
There is no such thing.

But this is the fraternity recruitment forum...
Old 05-24-2007, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Can someone summarize this for me? lol.

Get in where you fit in.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar08 View Post
I disagree. I believe that we look for women who are comfortable with themselves and their surroundings. If, what you call a "typical, white bread girl" is comfortable around women of color, and doesn't let herself get bullied into feeling like she doesn't belong, she'll be fine. However, that's not the case usually.

There is no such thing.

But this is the fraternity recruitment forum...
I don't think it has to all be on the rushee. The organization is what it is. You may feel comfortable with members of another race, but the goals, ideals, format of the organization may not mesh with the individual. That's okay. That's why we have so many types of organizations around to fit the individual. Being comfortable with who you are and those around you is why most women have close friends like themselves. I personally feel very comfortable around women of color having gone to a predominantly african american high school and having worked extensively with african american men and women in my line of work as well as treating predominantly african american patients in my hospital. That being said, on a cultural level I am much different than my african american friends. I don't think I'd personally feel as comfortable in an NPHC group as in my own group. Culturally we are different. We have very different ideas on how a sorority should operate,etc. But...that's me. I think this is what most people are trying to say when they object to white people in NPHC groups. It's okay if you want to be there, but for most people they'd want to know the specific reasons behind the member's decision to join a group of a different culture. And what I meant by a "typical wheat bread sorority girl" is that the average NPC sorority member is caucasian, raised in a caucasian community with limited exposure to african american culture. This girl isn't going to join a group of another culture because she knows nothing about it. I don't think you can argue that, it's human nature.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 05-24-2007, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
And what I meant by a "typical wheat bread sorority girl" is that the average NPC sorority member is caucasian, raised in a caucasian community with limited exposure to african american culture.
Maybe at your school, but certainly not at mine.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mulattogyrl Send a message via Yahoo to mulattogyrl
Quote:
The same for the typical NPHC woman.
There aren't any 'typical' NPHC women. We're all very different. Having similar colored skin doesn't make us anything alike. Believe me, lol. What we do have in common are education & the goals of our orgs.

It's a jungle out there.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulattogyrl View Post
There aren't any 'typical' NPHC women. We're all very different. Having similar colored skin doesn't make us anything alike. Believe me, lol. What we do have in common are education & the goals of our orgs.
Well said, sistergreek.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Sure, we're all different but some generalizations that aren't stereotyping can be made. For instance, Delta's national website breaks down some demographics from which someone could somewhat accurately deduce a "typical Delta."

So many of us have education, goals of our orgs, and things like occupations and region of initiation/activity in common.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
Sure, we're all different but some generalizations that aren't stereotyping can be made. For instance, Delta's national website breaks down some demographics from which someone could somewhat accurately deduce a "typical Delta."

So many of us have education, goals of our orgs, and things like occupations and region of initiation/activity in common.

So, what are you saying?

If you Black or white one has to join a certain GLO?

If your religious prefrence is different one can only join a certain GLO?

Of course we are all different but some seem to have a more racist idea of who can join or not!

So, where does that leave us? Oh, US as You and I and many others!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 05-24-2007, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
So, what are you saying?

Of course we are all different but some seem to have a more racist idea of who can join or not!

Go spend a few hours in Cabrini Green. Make sure to use the N-word a lot.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
So, what are you saying?

All hail, Tom Earp, king of the idiots.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Go spend a few hours in Cabrini Green. Make sure to use the N-word a lot.

He would even make the N-word nontranslatable.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
So, what are you saying?

Good Lord you are an idiot.

I hope the power steering goes out on your car..........soon.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Reds6 Send a message via Yahoo to Reds6
Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25 View Post
Good Lord you are an idiot.

I hope the power steering goes out on your car..........soon.
BWAH! That is so true!
Old 05-25-2007, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

I think you are misunderstanding "typical." Of course there is a "typical" everything...that being said, every group is filled with individuals who are joined by a common bond. (Did I just plagerize from the AOII website?) My point is that humans naturally gravitate to groups like them. That does not mean that every white person would feel most comfortable in a "white" group. I know many people who actually feel more comfortable around those of an opposite race. Using race to decide whether or not someone is a good fit for your group is stupid, but the experiences and culture of that person because of the racial group they were raised in may make them a poor fit for the group. I personally think that's okay. Do we really need to have one big melded culture where no group's culture is preserved?
Okay ....I'll butt out now since the original post is should a white guy pledge a black fraternity! If you want to, more power to you!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 05-25-2007, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mulattogyrl Send a message via Yahoo to mulattogyrl
Quote:
I think you are misunderstanding "typical." Of course there is a "typical" everything...that being said, every group is filled with individuals who are joined by a common bond. (Did I just plagerize from the AOII website?) My point is that humans naturally gravitate to groups like them. That does not mean that every white person would feel most comfortable in a "white" group. I know many people who actually feel more comfortable around those of an opposite race. Using race to decide whether or not someone is a good fit for your group is stupid, but the experiences and culture of that person because of the racial group they were raised in may make them a poor fit for the group. I personally think that's okay. Do we really need to have one big melded culture where no group's culture is preserved?
Okay ....I'll butt out now since the original post is should a white guy pledge a black fraternity! If you want to, more power to you!
I understand what you're saying, and my response wasn't actually directed toward just you. I just wanted people in general to understand that just because they see the 'typical' NPHC female - African American, educated, etc., it doesn't mean we're the 'same'. I'm on the inside looking out, so I was just speaking from that perspective. Even in the chapters I've been in, we are so different, even though we may appear 'typical'. That's all I was saying though.

It's a jungle out there.