GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 317,202
Threads: 115,883
Posts: 2,176,712
Welcome to our newest member, Jgrady1990
» Online Users: 540
5 members and 535 guests
bagslvndhand, Jgrady1990, LaneSig, naraht
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-07-2020, 11:22 PM
Ronaldo9 Ronaldo9 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 152
Theta Chi House Attacked by Organized Mob

Terrible stuff. One of the hospitalized Theta Chi members sustained injuries delivered by a golf club to the head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLWT-TV
Members and friends of Miami University's Theta Chi fraternity are calling what happened at the frat house Saturday night a "full-on ambush."

Fraternity members said it had have been a premeditated attack.

"You don't just have 40 people come up out of nowhere," a member said.

https://www.wlwt.com/article/miami-f...ttack/34305218
Video of a portion of the assault: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV_hgJz44jE
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-08-2020, 08:42 PM
Kevin Kevin is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Posts: 18,539
Wouldn't rule out another fraternity. I'm pretty sure someone in my dad's fraternity burned down a rival chapter's house back in the day.
__________________
SN -SINCE 1869-
"EXCELLING WITH HONOR"
S N E T T
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-08-2020, 11:27 PM
Ronaldo9 Ronaldo9 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Wouldn't rule out another fraternity. I'm pretty sure someone in my dad's fraternity burned down a rival chapter's house back in the day.
Good call.

One of the reports said it was someone denied access to the house who came back with a group of friends. But not sure where you'd get 40 friends on that short notice if not another house.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-08-2020, 11:48 PM
AnchorAlum AnchorAlum is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Back home in FLA
Posts: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Wouldn't rule out another fraternity. I'm pretty sure someone in my dad's fraternity burned down a rival chapter's house back in the day.
The KA's at Florida State set the ATO house on fire in the early 80's. Understandable, though. I think the County Health Department probably sent the KA's a congratulatory note.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-09-2020, 07:33 AM
FSUZeta FSUZeta is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: naples, florida
Posts: 16,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlum View Post
The KA's at Florida State set the ATO house on fire in the early 80's. Understandable, though. I think the County Health Department probably sent the KA's a congratulatory note.
Those three houses.....SAE, KA, and ATO...ugh.
__________________
I live in Fantasyland and I have waterfront property.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-09-2020, 07:55 AM
Benzgirl Benzgirl is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Out in Left Field
Posts: 7,316
There are still a lot of questions as to who the "organized mob" (OP's words, not in the article) might be and all are pure speculation until an investigation is done. My neighbor's son is in a MU fraternity and said he has heard everything along the spectrum from former members to "rival" fraternities (of which he knew of none) to the football team to ANTIFA to a white supremacy groups. While it is not a laughing matter, he said because so many falsehoods are spreading, people yesterday were even joking that it was a gang of flies off Mike Pence's head or sororities.

Bottom line is not to speculate. I spent one semester at Miami; Oxford is very small without the University. It won't take long to find the suspects.
__________________
When did GC become Twitter?

Last edited by Benzgirl; 10-09-2020 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Clarification of words in quotation
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-09-2020, 10:02 AM
AnchorAlum AnchorAlum is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Back home in FLA
Posts: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Those three houses.....SAE, KA, and ATO...ugh.
Long gone and much needed dorms are there now. Those "houses" were owned by the University and were used to entice fraternities to come to FSU in the late 40's and early 50's so that more men would enroll when the University returned to its original coed status it was forced to give up in 1905.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-09-2020, 11:37 AM
ASTalumna06 ASTalumna06 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 6,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo9 View Post
Good call.

One of the reports said it was someone denied access to the house who came back with a group of friends. But not sure where you'd get 40 friends on that short notice if not another house.
Back in the day, a fraternity on my campus was attacked while they were sleeping by numerous members of the baseball team. One member of the team was upset about something that happened at a party, so they all came back in the middle of the night and hit the fraternity members with baseball bats and balls. And if I remember correctly, a couple members of the baseball team were members of a different fraternity.

On a college campus, it's probably pretty easy to "rally the troops", especially these days with social media and smartphones.
__________________
I believe in the values of friendship and fidelity to purpose

@~/~~~~
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-09-2020, 11:58 AM
fraternitynik fraternitynik is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 43
I believe on reddit (not a source, just saying), a student attributed it to football players?

In any case - I'm at hopeful (strange word choice) that it was just a one-off event due to that removal from the party. A worse scenario is the targeting of a fraternity because they're a fraternity. I only say that because of the size of the group and the fact that many were - according to the news article - wearing masks. (I couldn't tell if they meant regular face masks or a mask which covers their whole face)
__________________
ΔΣΦ

FraternityMan.com
Twitter
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-09-2020, 12:08 PM
Benzgirl Benzgirl is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Out in Left Field
Posts: 7,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraternitynik View Post
In any case - I'm at hopeful (strange word choice) that it was just a one-off event due to that removal from the party. A worse scenario is the targeting of a fraternity because they're a fraternity. I only say that because of the size of the group and the fact that many were - according to the news article - wearing masks. (I couldn't tell if they meant regular face masks or a mask which covers their whole face)
I agree that it was a 100% one-off event and someone (or multiple people) were targeted. Based on what the student told me, the most common rumor was this was an act of revenge.
__________________
When did GC become Twitter?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-09-2020, 01:25 PM
Ronaldo9 Ronaldo9 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraternitynik View Post
I believe on reddit (not a source, just saying), a student attributed it to football players?
Good find. In the Oxford Observer they're now noting ...

Quote:
A post containing comments about the incident captioned “The Return of the Bash Bros” was uploaded to the football team’s official Instagram account on Sunday.

https://oxfordobserver.org/2918/miam...s-to-hospital/
Looking at the video the assailants certainly don't look big enough to be American Football players to me. But then I forgot this is at a Mid-American Conference school so it's possible they are.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-09-2020, 01:49 PM
shadokat shadokat is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Reading, PA
Posts: 3,594
Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Something sort of similar happened to Bloomsburg's Zeta Psi fraternity several years ago. Sadly, a kid almost died. Unfortunately, when people choose to act crazy, this is the consequence.

https://www.pennlive.com/midstate/20...loomsburg.html
__________________
Be a leader; Be Yourself; Be DPhiE - Esse Quam Videri
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-09-2020, 01:50 PM
Ronaldo9 Ronaldo9 is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokat View Post
Something sort of similar happened to Bloomsburg's Zeta Psi fraternity several years ago. Sadly, a kid almost died. Unfortunately, when people choose to act crazy, this is the consequence.

https://www.pennlive.com/midstate/20...loomsburg.html
An awful story but you're right, it is the consequence of bad behavior. Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-09-2020, 05:15 PM
FSUZeta FSUZeta is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: naples, florida
Posts: 16,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlum View Post
Long gone and much needed dorms are there now. Those "houses" were owned by the University and were used to entice fraternities to come to FSU in the late 40's and early 50's so that more men would enroll when the University returned to its original coed status it was forced to give up in 1905.
Yes. My father was in the 2nd graduating class after the war. I grew up going to the football games and shopping in Tallahassee ( lived in a nearby small town). And of course, went there myself. Go Noles!
__________________
I live in Fantasyland and I have waterfront property.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Phi Delta Theta AZ Beta House Photos TKESunDevil Greek Life 0 09-19-2013 05:09 PM
New Theta Chi House Planned at U of Alabama exlurker Theta Chi 0 09-16-2011 06:42 PM
Dry Theta Chi: no animal house hoosier Risk Management - Hazing & etc. 1 08-17-2002 09:31 PM
Phi Kappa Theta Loses House, Member AlphaGamMI Greek Life 3 08-14-2002 11:48 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.