GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,576
2 members and 1,574 guests
MethrenLusia, PGD-GRAD

Old 08-25-2008, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow. I had no idea that we had contemporary people considered as royalty. I knew about the kings and queens from the days of old but had not heard about this modern phenom. Excellent. Thanks for posting.
SC
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-25-2008, 12:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Surely you knew that Europe (and some other places) still has royal families, SummerChild. It's the only thing that many Americans know about that part of the world a la Queen Elizabeth II 'n dem.

What's been kept more of a secret is African Diasporic royalty in Europe and other parts of the world.

Last edited by DSTCHAOS; 08-25-2008 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

That's exactly what I was talking about. It never even dawned on me that someone would think that I was saying that I didn't know that there were royal families in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
Surely you knew that Europe (and some other places) still has royal families, SummerChild. It's the only thing that many Americans know about that part of the world a la Queen Elizabeth II 'n dem.

What's been kept more of a secret is African Diasporic royalty in Europe and other parts of the world.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerChild View Post
That's exactly what I was talking about. It never even dawned on me that someone would think that I was saying that I didn't know that there were royal families in the world.
LOL. Oh, you meant "we" as in black folkseseseses. I was hoping I missed something.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
A recent pic of Princess Angela (at right)

From NYSD.com:

Old 02-12-2009, 01:31 AM
GreekChat Member

There are French Royals???

Guess so...

Quote:
Yes, only a "pretender" King. A pretender is a claimant to an abolished throne or to a throne already occupied by somebody else. The English word pretend comes from the French word prétendre, meaning "to put forward, to profess or claim". The term pretender is also applied to those persons on whose behalf a claim to a throne is advanced, regardless of whether that person himself actually makes an active claim.

There are currently three "pretenders" to the French throne.
1. Louis Alphonse, Duke of Anjou (born in 1974) is considered to be the head of the French Royal House by legitimists who consider the renunciation of Philip V of Spain as invalid. They call him Prince Louis de Bourbon, and accord him the title duc d'Anjou (Duke of Anjou). As king, he would be Louis XX of France.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Alpho...

2. Prince Henri Philippe Pierre Marie d'Orléans, comte de Paris, duc de France (born June 14, 1933) is a claimant to the French throne. If he were king, he would be Henry VII. For the Orléanists, he is the heir of Louis-Philippe, King of the French; for unionists, the heir of Henri, comte de Chambord, and so of Charles X, King of France. He is also the 76th in the Legitimist line of succession to the French throne.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henri,_comt...

3. Napoléon VII, Prince Imperial (Charles Marie Jérôme Victor Napoléon) (born 19 October 1950) is a French politician, and claims to be the current head of the Imperial House of France as male heir to the rights and legacy established by his great-great-grand-uncle, Emperor Napoléon I.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Nap...

Note: As a "pretender" King they are only recognized as heads of the "French Royal House" or a certain branch, however, they are not recognized nationwide, or do they have "authorized power" granted by the French government as in a constitutional monarchy.
Apparently, an antique car was illegally sold that belonged to a "French Royal" and the French government wants it back. I thought the royals were all murdered by the guillotine... But they are also calling Napoleon a royal since he a Josephine were Emperor and Empress... Then that all changed... And Napoleon moved to the Canary Islands.

I just found this interesting...

If France has a monarchy here would be it's King...

The house Legitimists... I think from actually the dispose Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette... However there is plenty of Spanish royal involvement...

The house Bonaparte (Yeah like Napoleon)

Then the Orleanists--but there is drama involved there, too... I cannot find any pictures... And I think there are old laws against introducing royalty in the Republic of France...

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana

Last edited by AKA_Monet; 02-12-2009 at 01:44 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_Monet View Post
There are French Royals???
... And I think there are old laws against introducing royalty in the Republic of France...
You are correct about the laws. It is set up so that France would not even have a constitutional monarchy. French royals still exist by right of birth and/or marriage. Pre-Napoleon they were a bit more liberal in the application the term "royal". The title "Prince(ss) of the Blood" was used for a child, grandchild, great-grandchild etc...directly descended from a French monarch and was given at birth and considered royal. The title "Prince" was used by male spouses of a daughter, etc... only if the male came to the marriage with the title and considered royal. The title "Princess" was used by female spouses of sons, etc...automatically upon marriage and considered royal. Peerage titles that belong to the Royal Family like Duc d'Orleans or Duc d'Anjou pass along to heirs according to the Letters Patent for those titles. It is a tradition now since the French gov. no longer recognizes a monarchy or peerage. (A monarch or royal can be a peer, but a peer is not necessarily a monarch or a royal.)

To make this even more longwinded, Greece's Royal family was deposed beginning in the mid-20th century. Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh was Prince Philip of Greece before marriage as he was a lower son/grandson of a Greek monarch. When Greece finally abolished the monarchy altogether in the 1970's, the royals were/are still considered royals by other Royal Houses but usually the term "in exile" is used after their names. ie: His Royal Highness King Constantine of Greece, in exile.

Last edited by aopirose; 02-12-2009 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Thanks MC!
Old 02-12-2009, 09:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aopirose View Post
Prince Philip, Duke of Edinboro (sp? too early in the morning for me)
Edinburgh (but pronounced ed-n-buhr-uh or ed-n-bruh).
Old 02-12-2009, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

This thread is like a history lesson! Loves it!
Old 11-20-2010, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

It's been awhile for this thread but I came across this recent article I thought was interesting.

Dear World: Black Princesses DO Exist
THURSDAY NOV 18, 2010 – BY BRITNI DANIELLE

With the world clamoring over the engagement of Prince William and Kate Middleton, you’d think White, European women had a lock on Royal weddings, but you’d be wrong.

While many wonder what IS up with America’s obsession with the British royal family (I mean, didn’t we revolt against Monarchies?), others are looking forward to getting all of the details about their nuptials and tuning into the festivities like it’s 1981 all over again.
Read the rest here
Old 11-21-2010, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LikeASista
THANK YOU FOR THIS!! I'm posting it on my Facebook page right now!
#1 - Spring 2000

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." - Mother Teresa
Old 11-21-2010, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeASista View Post
"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." - Mother Teresa
I'm going to post this on my FB!
Old 11-21-2010, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeASista View Post
THANK YOU FOR THIS!! I'm posting it on my Facebook page right now!
YW
Old 12-08-2010, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle View Post
It's been awhile for this thread but I came across this recent article I thought was interesting.

Dear World: Black Princesses DO Exist
THURSDAY NOV 18, 2010 – BY BRITNI DANIELLE

With the world clamoring over the engagement of Prince William and Kate Middleton, you’d think White, European women had a lock on Royal weddings, but you’d be wrong.

While many wonder what IS up with America’s obsession with the British royal family (I mean, didn’t we revolt against Monarchies?), others are looking forward to getting all of the details about their nuptials and tuning into the festivities like it’s 1981 all over again.
Read the rest here
This was a GREAT article! I never knew "the pantene girl" was a princess (Princess Keisha).

Off to post this on FB!
Old 12-08-2010, 11:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle View Post
I'm going to post this on my FB!
I posted this to my FB too