GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 1,497
1 members and 1,496 guests
Phrozen Sands

Old 03-31-2014, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Anyone care to share why eating solo bothers you? Is it the need to be doing something like talking to someone, watching the restaurant TV, or on your phone or laptop?
I don't mind eating alone if I'm sitting at a bar, but eating alone at a table is weird to me (if I don't have a laptop or a book or something) because I don't know where to look. LOL. Take a bite, look up, stare at the couple at the table in front of me. I guess part of it is not wanting to freak other people out. Haha.

@~/~~~~
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-31-2014, 10:18 PM
Banned

LOL, ASTalumna06, that makes sense. You don't want to be the creepy solo person staring at other tables. I like certain restaurants because they have something to keep me occupied. If I go to a restaurant that has nothing to keep me occupied I will bring my phone.

Yes, being alone and lonely aren't the same. But, being solo is different than both being alone and being lonely. When I enjoyed my seafood risotto this evening, I was eating solo but I wasn't alone. And I definitely wasn't lonely. There are times when I go out solo such as to a walking park. That is more alone but I damn sure make sure there are people somewhere in the vicinity so I don't end up with a bear attack.

I wasn't thinking of alone time in the bathroom or at home when I created this thread. LOL. I was more thinking about whether GCers go out solo.

Last edited by DrPhil; 03-31-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Anyone care to share why eating solo bothers you? Is it the need to be doing something like talking to someone, watching the restaurant TV, or on your phone or laptop?

I noticed that when I don't bring my phone with me or there is no restaurant TV in my vicinity, the bartender or server (if I don't sit at the bar) wants to talk more. LOL. I know I'm solo. It is intentional.
I've really tried to disconnect in public when solo. It is HARD. If I'm reading a book or magazine, easy. Incessantly checking my phone is harder. This was a few years ago, but I didn't enjoy my own company then. Now, I can go to a restaurant, order, drink and just savor the moment. I do get a bit sad if I realize I'm the only one dining alone, but then I remind myself it was intential.

A lot of times, rolling solo is a matter of distance - if I dont feel like travelling to meet up with folks, I go alone. I really enjoy pedicures alone. Museums I almost prefer to go alone. I've yet to muster up going to a movie alone (I always say I will, then I don't).

As far as being at a bar... I definitely need something (TV, conversation, a game). If I sit there in my thoughts, (positive) solo time turns into (negative) lonely time.

OTOH, I do enjoy borderline creepy people watching, but I think that's the inquisitive writer in me.

Last edited by tld221; 04-01-2014 at 01:39 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:06 AM
GreekChat Member

I have a wonderful husband, but I really do like my alone time, I'll shop, visit the cinema, take myself into London for the day, drive a couple of hours to the coast. I also have a great social & professional life.

Before I was married, I travelled on vacations alone (Mexico, Spain, Germany) and I love the freedom it brings me, being able to take a day trip here, or go visit that museum, without having to worry that my travel companions want to hit the beach and lay out.

I have no issues with eating out alone, I always carry my kindle/book and have my phone to keep me entertained.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The solo/non-solo thing has never been a big deal for me so maybe I'm missing the import of the question. I was divorced 9 years before remarrying, so I just did what I felt. Was cool doing things solo, and had dates/company whenever I wanted them.

I highlighted the above quote/question because for some reason, seeing people eating alone does bother me. Always has. I always feel like they're alone, and have no one--knowing it's very possible that there are 18 folk back at the house aggravating the fire out of them and they just want to get away.

But still, seeing single diners in restaurants, particulary elderly people, gives me an unexplainable twinge of sadness.
~ Luke 19:10
Old 04-01-2014, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Tony, may I use your phrase "18 folk back home aggravating the fire out of them?". : )

I can see it being handy today.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinksequins View Post
Tony, may I use your phrase "18 folk back home aggravating the fire out of them?". : )

I can see it being handy today.
feel free.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB06 View Post
The solo/non-solo thing has never been a big deal for me....

I highlighted the above quote/question because for some reason, seeing people eating alone does bother me. Always has. I always feel like they're alone, and have no one--knowing it's very possible that there are 18 folk back at the house aggravating the fire out of them and they just want to get away.

But still, seeing single diners in restaurants, particulary elderly people, gives me an unexplainable twinge of sadness.
Then the solo/non-solo thing is kind of a big deal to you.

I don't understand some people's need to find a "plus one" for everything. There are people who won't do anything (non-work related) if they don't have someone to accompany them. Going out "on the town", attending religious services, etc. It is one thing to want someone to accompany you but to absolutely need someone to accompany you is different.

It's fine if some people cringe when seeing someone dining solo but I think those people need to spend time paying attention to their "plus one." What's the point of a "plus one" if you're staring at the next table (or checking your IPhone----cringe).
Old 04-01-2014, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Then the solo/non-solo thing is kind of a big deal to you.
No, really, it's not. Beyond the fleeting, if consistent, momentary thought in the restautant, it has no bearing on the rest of my day.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB06 View Post
No, really, it's not. Beyond the fleeting, if consistent, momentary thought in the restautant, it has no bearing on the rest of my day.
Good.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Maybe I'm not getting it. Then I thought, oh! I know - it's because I meditate. I have, for decades. I can go to a happy place or space, with a quiet mind, very easily and quickly. It results in a peaceful expression, a calm serenity; and then people want to talk to me because I look so happy or whatever. So, damn it, I'm not solo and I have to interact with others. Gah!

My friends tell me how they envy me. It's there, for the taking. A quiet mind is a gift.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 04-01-2014, 10:50 AM

One of the good things about being an only child is you get used to doing things alone and even more, give off an air of being comfortable doing so. I have no problem eating alone, anywhere from McDonald's to the fanciest place in town. There used to be a time when a single diner would be asked if they minded having another single diner join them, or always forced to the bar, but those days are pretty much gone, thank God.

The other activity I love doing alone is shopping. I've never understood why some people feel this always has to be done in a team/group and I actually usually drive people crazy when I do shop with them because I dart from place to place.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Eating solo bothered me a lot during college. I felt very lonely when I had to eat alone because everyone else was in class or where ever. I slowly got used to it and now enjoy it when I chose to eat solo. The choice meant a lot to me. When I choose to go out alone, it is more enjoyable for me.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 04-01-2014, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

my preference is actually to roll solo. i'm an only child, and there is no one's company i enjoy more than myself. LOL. this can be aggravating to my partner but oh well, he will deal. or i'll date until i find someone who does.

oddly enough, i am the planner / program manager in my group of friends. although i create opportunities to socialize, my plan is ALWAYS to pick something that i'll enjoy in a group or solo.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenidallas View Post

I think solo time makes me a more complete and fulfilled person.
I agree. ^^

I'm a solo also. I enjoy the company of others but really prefer being by myself. I've always been like that. Mr. Ninjapoodle is like that also.