GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,935
0 members and 1,935 guests
No Members online

Old 09-11-2011, 02:44 PM
renlizabeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
If you didn't like a group you didn't like it. That's fine. But to blame it on their "Christian ideals" really isn't accurate in this day and age when all 26 NPCs have clauses forbidding discrimination based on religion.

If THAT CHAPTER has a lot of girls who are into going to church multiple times a week, Bible study, witnessing their faith etc etc, just please know that it is THAT CHAPTER, and not the national organization as a whole. The chapter at the school 5 miles down the road might be filled with Druids.

This may sound like nitpicking to you, but a lot of chapter vs. national misconceptions come up in rush and those conceptions can harm our groups as far as future colonizations and such.
I'm not really blaming it on their "Christian ideals;" that's just how they are and that's fine, but it isn't for me. I'm not putting any sororities down for it or making judgments that "oh they must all be that way." I'm sure that every chapter is unique in their own way. It just wasn't for me. If we don't go by how we feel, how else can we figure out what is right for us? If I was even confused about what to do I would have stuck it out. I really like the idea of helping start a new chapter at my school, it would be a great opportunity to start something great. No offense to the other sororities, but when my top choice didn't choose me, my heart wasn't even the least bit in it with the remaining sororities. It's hard when your school has only 4 compared to others that have as many as 16.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renlizabeth View Post
I'm not really blaming it on their "Christian ideals;" that's just how they are and that's fine, but it isn't for me. I'm not putting any sororities down for it or making judgments that "oh they must all be that way." I'm sure that every chapter is unique in their own way. It just wasn't for me. If we don't go by how we feel, how else can we figure out what is right for us? If I was even confused about what to do I would have stuck it out. I really like the idea of helping start a new chapter at my school, it would be a great opportunity to start something great. No offense to the other sororities, but when my top choice didn't choose me, my heart wasn't even the least bit in it with the remaining sororities. It's hard when your school has only 4 compared to others that have as many as 16.
But you didn't give the other three a fair chance. You didn't have enough information to make that decision.

How do you know you'll like the new chapter? You probably know as much (meaning as little, or less) as you do about the four on campus. But alas, what do I know?

So what kind of advice are you possibly asking for?

Old 09-11-2011, 04:39 PM
renlizabeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
But you didn't give the other three a fair chance. You didn't have enough information to make that decision.

How do you know you'll like the new chapter? You probably know as much (meaning as little, or less) as you do about the four on campus. But alas, what do I know?

So what kind of advice are you possibly asking for?
As I stated previously, I did hang out with the girls from the sororities before recruitment when they would gather all together. I didn't feel a connection to them in that way throughout the whole time. So it depends on what you mean by not having enough information. There is no guarantee with a new chapter, but if I get in then I can help start it and make it great. It's hard when you already have an established sorority and you're trying to get in as a junior and also try to get a position.

I guess the advice i was asking for was if going through the recruitment process with the new colony would be a good idea and also if I made the right decision by not going with sororities i felt absolutely NO connection to (and not just during recruitment). Not to mention one of them I haven't talked much about seemed absolutely BORED during recruitment.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:20 PM
renlizabeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
If you don't like any of the sororities, don't join. If you like the colony, try and join. If you don't, don't try and join.

What you're expecting us to tell you, aside from that, I don't know. We can't tell you whether you made a good decision for you or not. We can't tell you whether deciding to go for a colony or not is a good idea for you. You need to figure that out on your own, because we don't live your life.
I know this, I just wanted more insight on what it's like to be a part of colony. I don't know too much about that process.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
I guess the advice i was asking for was...also if I made the right decision by not going with sororities i felt absolutely NO connection to (and not just during recruitment). Not to mention one of them I haven't talked much about seemed absolutely BORED during recruitment.
If that's a question, no, you didn't make the right decision.

No one is saying you should have signed a bid with a group that you weren't feeling at all, but just going to the parties and trying to make conversation might have helped you a lot in getting over your shyness.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:47 PM
renlizabeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
If that's a question, no, you didn't make the right decision.

No one is saying you should have signed a bid with a group that you weren't feeling at all, but just going to the parties and trying to make conversation might have helped you a lot in getting over your shyness.
I went to most of them.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I doubt very seriously that you hung out with the sororities in a significant manner so that you actually know all the women enough to say that you wouldn't fit in with any of them. By all of your posts, you sound very much like someone who judges a book by its cover. Even in a campus with just 4 groups, there are generally enough women in each that you can't meet them all in just a few parties, and lord knows you can't get to know even one women well enough in 20 minutes to truly bond with her. If your going to make the colony thing work, your going to need a major attitude adjustment or an adjustment of your expectations. There are many things in life that you have to go on other than your "gut." You are in school to improve the function of your brain. Use it.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-11-2011, 10:15 PM
renlizabeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
I doubt very seriously that you hung out with the sororities in a significant manner so that you actually know all the women enough to say that you wouldn't fit in with any of them. By all of your posts, you sound very much like someone who judges a book by its cover. Even in a campus with just 4 groups, there are generally enough women in each that you can't meet them all in just a few parties, and lord knows you can't get to know even one women well enough in 20 minutes to truly bond with her. If your going to make the colony thing work, your going to need a major attitude adjustment or an adjustment of your expectations. There are many things in life that you have to go on other than your "gut." You are in school to improve the function of your brain. Use it.
The parties lasted about an hour with each sorority which I stuck through for a few days of recruitment and because my school is so small I was able to hang out with them in a significant manner. I have not judged anyone based on first impressions, these are my judgements after MANY tries at getting to know them. As far as I'm concerned choosing something like a sorority is not solely based on using someone's brain. If it is a mutual selection process and I am not in it because my instincts tell me otherwise, then I'm ignoring one of the most basic instincts. Your feelings and your brain are connected and I'm sure that you have not gone through with something because something inside of you wasn't making you feel right about it. I had no expectations going into recruitment except to enjoy myself and keep an open mind---which I did. But again if I'm not feeling good about something (let alone something that costs hundreds of dollars that no one is giving me) I want to feel as good about that decision as possible. Just because someone tells you "it might get better," what about all the girls who followed that advice and aren't happy at all. So this is my conclusion after I did USE MY BRAIN. So you can go and use your brain to stop making general assumptions about someone based on very little knowledge because right now you're judging a book by its cover.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The parties lasted about an hour with each sorority which I stuck through for a few days of recruitment and because my school is so small I was able to hang out with them in a significant manner. I have not judged anyone based on first impressions, these are my judgements after MANY tries at getting to know them. As far as I'm concerned choosing something like a sorority is not solely based on using someone's brain. If it is a mutual selection process and I am not in it because my instincts tell me otherwise, then I'm ignoring one of the most basic instincts. Your feelings and your brain are connected and I'm sure that you have not gone through with something because something inside of you wasn't making you feel right about it. I had no expectations going into recruitment except to enjoy myself and keep an open mind---which I did. But again if I'm not feeling good about something (let alone something that costs hundreds of dollars that no one is giving me) I want to feel as good about that decision as possible. Just because someone tells you "it might get better," what about all the girls who followed that advice and aren't happy at all. So this is my conclusion after I did USE MY BRAIN. So you can go and use your brain to stop making general assumptions about someone based on very little knowledge because right now you're judging a book by its cover.
As I've pointed out to you, recruitment is VERY fake, and you aren't experiencing a true picture. Your here on GC asking a lot of women with a lot more experience than you for advice, and we're telling you that you are being too closed minded. Maybe because we have seen this before. You didn't see it out to the end (which would not have cost you a penny, BTW). Go back and read threads about not getting your first choice. You're arguing with women with decades of experience. We've seen it all. The biggest mistakes are made by people who close their minds to the process, not the women who follow it through to the end. No one is saying you have to sign a bid card.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-13-2011, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Renlizabeth -- I don't think anyone at GC means to imply you should pledge and initiate into a sorority you don't feel a connection to. The advice most PNM's receive here is to stick out the recruitment week (or whatever the time frame is) and not drop as long as you still have options. As AOII Angel pointed out, you don't have to accept a bid, but many of us recommend hanging in through pref parties because we've just seen too many perceptions change as rush progresses. I know you said you've spent time with sorority members outside of recruitment, but have you gotten to know all of the sisters and learned about the key aspects of their sorority? You may think you have a good feel for a chapter, only to learn something new about them or talk to a couple of sisters you've never spent much time with before and -- bam-- you begin seeing things in a different light. That's why we say to stay in the process as long as you can, giving the sororities and yourself every opportunity to see what each other is about.

All that said, I encourage you to look into the chapter that is colonizing. From what I understand, colonizing chapters are usually open to accepting upperclassmen, especially those who bring leadership experience to the table. It is also my understanding that this type of recruitment process may include interviews with representatives from the national and/or regional levels. Be prepared to tell them why you want to be part of their organization, show that you have a good picture of your campus culture and highlight your strengths and talents, especially in regards to how they can help a new chapter take root, grow and thrive. Learn all you can at the information sessions and by visiting their national website. Learn about the causes they support, their mission and goals, their history, what their mascot represents -- and get excited about who these women are and what they're about. Enthusiasm is like a magnet and even helps with shyness. I've seen many on the shy, quiet side suddenly light up when the issue at hand is one they're interested in and excited about. Don't be discouraged if you don't feel a spark right away -- you may be charged with electricity by the end of the process, but you won't know unless you stay in recruitment until its time for bids. Good luck and I hope it all works out!