GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,442
3 members and 1,439 guests
Roses78, Titchou

Old 10-21-2018, 09:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Sophomore rushing?

How hard it is to rush as a sophomore? I am transferring to a new school and plan to rush, but I want to know how hard it will be for me?
Old 10-21-2018, 10:29 PM

This all depends on the school.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:18 PM
GreekChat Member

do you know anything about Washington States rush process? Or how do I find out how difficult it will be?
Old 10-21-2018, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgirl320987 View Post
do you know anything about Washington States rush process? Or how do I find out how difficult it will be?
Another thread with the same question? You certainly are persistent!

Quote:
Hey guys!!
I'm currently a freshman and I am going to transfer schools next year. I was planning on going to either Washington State or Oregon. I really want to rush but I'm going to be a sophomore. I'm wondering if it is weird or if its going to be extra hard for me to rush?
Why would it be weird?? Plenty of young women rush as sophomores at all universities. Your grades will have to be really, really good.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

sorry i just didnt want to bother you by asking again but I'm really curious! I have always wanted to join a sorority and I am trying to decide if I should stay at baylor or transfer to a different school. I am trying to get as much info as i can haha
Old 10-22-2018, 01:44 AM
GreekChat Member

It’s pretty normal at some schools. And not that unusual at Baylor, either. Why are you transferring? (As in, grade issues, etc?) That could be more of a challenge than being a sophomore.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Some schools have an upperclassman quota. If your school has this, you have a better chance as a Sophomore than as a Junior. To answer this question, I would call the Greek Life office at your potential new school.

Grades are of primo importance.

Another option, since Baylor has a Spring Rush is to go through recruitment there. If you decide to accept a bid, it may change your mind regarding transferring—unless you are transferring this spring and not next fall. If you accept a bid and initiate, you could possibly affiliate with that group on your new campus. That being said, you may not click with them at the new school so that is a risky gamble. What is not a risky gamble, is to go through recruitment at Baylor just for the experience. This will really help your confidence going through recruitment at your new school. If you do this, and don’t intend to accept a bid, please remove yourself from the process after the first few rounds so you don’t take a bid that might go to a girl who really wants it. Does this make sense?

Re: how competitive is recruitment? Spend some time looking at recruitment stories. I believe I’ve seen several from both schools you mentioned. That might help you form your opinions.

Best wishes for whichever route you decide.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I can answer questions you have about Washington State, more than happy to do so.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:51 AM
GreekChat Member

omg thank you!! how competitive there? And also do you know which ones are the harder ones to get a bid from?
Old 10-23-2018, 08:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
omg thank you!! how competitive there? And also do you know which ones are the harder ones to get a bid from?
Hi! May I suggest that you not worry about this now? Instead you should be focused on getting the best grades you possibly can in your classes now. In future, you should also be thinking about "what is the best fit for me?" and "where do I feel most at home?". And you can't do that until you get to WSU and you actually go through recruitment.

Don't fall into the trap of "what house is the hottest?" or "what house is top tier" because that's not what lifetime membership is about. Trust me.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 10-23-2018, 08:58 AM
GreekChat Member

AZTheta is 110% correct, the houses are all wonderful, and honestly looking back I could have fit in successfully to over 1/2 the houses, and the other 1/2 I still have complete respect for. And to answer your question, I personally feel that any recruitment is competitive, especially the more focus you place on specific chapters. The more open you are to all houses each day the better. Take your list each day and make the houses on it, your "top" chapters regardless of what you felt the day before. Focus on your grades, any time recruitment is the size it is at WSU will be really evaluating grades. WSU never has had a secondary quota, but I will say, it has been a year or two since I went through "rush" at WSU. Sophomores DO get bids to the houses on campus, but you will want to have your grades on point. Please feel free to continue to ask questions, Washington State is a wonderful place, and holds a special place in my heart (and my husbands, who was a Delta Sig!)

Last edited by wsucalsigmakapp; 10-23-2018 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

thanks, wsucalsigmakapp, that is high praise coming from you. All your advice to this pnm as well as elsewhere is spot on. Would that we could make these pnms listen and understand, right?

Oh, fwiw - I big time love cougar cheese. YUM. Can only order it about six months of the year, they won't ship to the desert when it's hot!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 10-23-2018, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

AZTheta- the cheese is amazing, the ice cream, even better!!! =) .

One last piece of random advice, chapters at WSU are approx. 165-190 or more women, you will meet 5-15 through recruitment. You will find a group of lovely, wonderful, supportive women, IF you allow it to happen. Do not judge a house by the first 5 women you meet in a chapter, if you can't make it work with 170 women, it isn't them......
Old 10-23-2018, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow, didn't realize the houses there were that big!
Old 10-24-2018, 09:09 AM
GreekChat Member

@winter- they have really grown since I was there and campus total was 90!! I believe campus total is now in the 190's! I believe that WSU could really benefit from expansion, but I am not sure space is available to make that happen.