GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,293
1 members and 1,292 guests
znathanhulzeo24

Old 09-28-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
Wow, I didn't realize it was that soon. I think I lost a couple months this summer. I'm kind of a planner for the apocalypse, so here's my suggestion:

Since you're near the Nordstrom Mecca, do you think you would want to find some dresses they carry and get them collected in the event the dresses don't show up? I can't remember if you're attendants are wearing matching dresses but at least you would have something on hand. I know there are even seamstresses in store so you could have the dresses there and bring your ladies down if things are cut close, with the same day turn around.

Yay for customer service and a generous return policy!
If I remember correctly, I think Peppy said her maids are all wearing a different dress in the same color and designer. Either way, it's good to at least think of an appropriate back-up for them.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
Where is a good place to go and try on dresses? We can't really buy online because somoe of us have unique physical shapes. We all need dresses in the same color except the MOH and David's left us more than wanting. Are there any other chains or stors people can recommend? We live in a ginormous metropolitan area. Thanks.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:45 PM

Department stores are good if the bride isn't dead-set on everyone lookind identical.

Ex: she could just say "any halter black cocktail dress in cotton" and you could all find something on your own at Nord/Neiman/etc.

Other than that, where to try on depends on whether she's interested in certain designers, what's close to you, what you all can afford, etc.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
Just out of curiosity, when did you tell the store that the wedding was? One of the first things I learned while my friends & I were getting married was to tell the store that your wedding is at least three weeks prior to the real date!
We found out today that one of the dresses will be in next week. But the other store can't get a status update from the manufacturer, they say. The dresses were ordered in the beginning of June, and we were told they'd be in within 12 weeks. That has come and gone. The dress that is still MIA was ordered just two days after three of the other maids ordered theirs, and they got theirs a month ago. We're wondering whether the store really ordered the dress.

My bridesmaids are wearing three different styles of dresses, but same designer, fabric and color. There's no way we'd be able to find any dress in a dept. store that would match, plus the one dress that is MIA is in a larger size, which complicates things. This bridesmaid is in Tallahassee, so they don't even have the same department stores there that they do here. At this point we're all just keeping our fingers crossed that the dress comes in!
Old 09-29-2010, 12:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPiNK_FL View Post
Where is a good place to go and try on dresses? We can't really buy online because somoe of us have unique physical shapes. We all need dresses in the same color except the MOH and David's left us more than wanting. Are there any other chains or stors people can recommend? We live in a ginormous metropolitan area. Thanks.

If you have a Jessica McClintock store by your house, they usually carry bridesmaid's type dresses and the quality is good. Also, Talbot's and Laura Ashley are usually good. Depending on the color needed, Target carries bridesmaid dresses but I don't know how good the selction there is.
Old 09-29-2010, 02:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
We found out today that one of the dresses will be in next week. But the other store can't get a status update from the manufacturer, they say. The dresses were ordered in the beginning of June, and we were told they'd be in within 12 weeks. That has come and gone. The dress that is still MIA was ordered just two days after three of the other maids ordered theirs, and they got theirs a month ago. We're wondering whether the store really ordered the dress.

My bridesmaids are wearing three different styles of dresses, but same designer, fabric and color. There's no way we'd be able to find any dress in a dept. store that would match, plus the one dress that is MIA is in a larger size, which complicates things. This bridesmaid is in Tallahassee, so they don't even have the same department stores there that they do here. At this point we're all just keeping our fingers crossed that the dress comes in!
As a back up plan I'd call the manufacturer/designer and see if a dress in the right size, fabric, and color existed anywhere and get the name of that store in the event of emergency. The brand is carried at a store in Coeur d'Alene and two stores in the Portland area, where I will be in less than two weeks. If they have it there I will go personally pick it up and get it in the mail or brought to you via someone who is headed to the west side in time for the wedding.

If they foul this up I am sure KSUViolet and I can cut them and knock them out with a zucchini.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamfulSpirit View Post

Impression Bridesmaids

I'm thinking about the dress on the left, in either that purple color or another shade (if available) for my bridal party.
I LOVE the dress on the left. I want one! Like the other one, too!
Old 09-30-2010, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
As a back up plan I'd call the manufacturer/designer and see if a dress in the right size, fabric, and color existed anywhere and get the name of that store in the event of emergency. The brand is carried at a store in Coeur d'Alene and two stores in the Portland area, where I will be in less than two weeks. If they have it there I will go personally pick it up and get it in the mail or brought to you via someone who is headed to the west side in time for the wedding.

If they foul this up I am sure KSUViolet and I can cut them and knock them out with a zucchini.
Well, when they say the store "carries it" they really only mean they have sample sizes there to try on, then they'll order the dress for you. You can't buy it off the rack. Two of my girls ordered their dresses from a local store here. But there's no way a store will have one of these dresses in stock or even as a sample in the bridesmaid's size.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyPiNK_FL View Post
My fiance found a store that somewhat specializes in planning a wedding. They pretty much could tell her all the stores in the area that do dresses. You may want to see if there is a place like that in your area.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm really hoping we can incorporate a shade of brown into our colors. I so am loving tan or chocolate suits. Season dependent of course.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:58 PM

Like this kind of a thing?

(Suit is by Ralph Lauren)

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-30-2010, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Like this kind of a thing?

(Suit is by Ralph Lauren)

I'll take two of him, please.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
Well, when they say the store "carries it" they really only mean they have sample sizes there to try on, then they'll order the dress for you. You can't buy it off the rack. Two of my girls ordered their dresses from a local store here. But there's no way a store will have one of these dresses in stock or even as a sample in the bridesmaid's size.
I am well aware dresses are usually made on an order basis, but some stores do have samples for sale, an order was wrong, never picked up, wedding canceled and so on. You could get lucky and get what you need.
Old 09-30-2010, 10:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animate View Post
I'm really hoping we can incorporate a shade of brown into our colors. I so am loving tan or chocolate suits. Season dependent of course.
Our (November) wedding was almost exclusively brown. The girls carried bouquets of wheat. The guys had black and brown ties, black suits. The girls had brown dresses too. Getting married in the almost-winter time was hard to pick "colors"...while I love the bright pinks and the blues and what have you, they look summery and gardeny to me and more appropriate for a wedding in the summer/spring, not almost winter in PA.

Last edited by PhoenixAzul; 09-30-2010 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Bridesmaid dress update

I am soooooooo pissed right now. The dress boutique - The New Image, in Thomasville, GA - says the manufacturer cannot ship the dress until 10/14 at the earliest...for my 10/16 wedding. So, too late.

The only solution they're offering is to 1. Get our money back; or 2. Have fabric shipped from the manufacturer to arrive Monday, at which time a local tailor can make a dress for my bridesmaid. But even in that case they aren't giving a full refund. We are going with option 2 for now, but you can bet we are going to get our money back. I don't think the Jim Hjelm folks would be happy to hear that one of their retailers has offered to make a copy of their dress.

Again, none of us believe that the store ordered the dress when it was supposed to have. If any of you can track down a phone number for Jim Hjelm corporate, I'd love it. I've tried looking but haven't been able to find the right number.

ETA: Found a customer service number, but they can't disclose order info. due to contracts they sign with retailers. But the rep told me, "I'll just say this...there's no reason why the dress would take that long. It would not take that long to get one of our dresses."

Last edited by PeppyGPhiB; 10-01-2010 at 03:14 PM.