GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,234
2 members and 2,232 guests
bmaimusmaarleya, Xidelt

Old 06-16-2002, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Honorary membership

I knew a guy that was a Sigma Nu, but when he came to my campus we didnt have that chapter- he became an honorary member of AKL. He even served on IFC if I remember correctly. He was very involved with AkL helped with sober driver etc.
So I am wondering how honorary membership works -can any chapter do this? I'm going to be attending University of West Florida and there is no ASA chapter there so am I able to become an honorary member of a house there?
I'm confused!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-16-2002, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

One other thing I thought of...
In regards to that Sigma Nu serving on IFC, he might have been able to as a sit-in rep. from Sigma Nu however as a AKL I highly doubt it.
Likewise, a lot of the time Panhellenic will only allow recognized sororities to be on that campus's Panhellenic Council. I knew a girl who was an AGD and they never invited her to sit on the Council...then again once she left her origional school she was considered an Alumn cuz my school didn't have her chapter.
You might want to discuss Alumn possibilities with your advisors.
Hootie
Old 06-16-2002, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Honorary Memberships

We occasionally confer honorary membership on someone who is not a regularly initiated undergraduate but this is usually for some distinguished service to the chapter, the fraternity, the university, or perhaps a person who has done something really significant, like the Governor of New York after 9/11. (I believe the Mayor was already an initiated Greek).
My Dad tells me that when he was an undergrad there used to be a category of membership where someone who got along well with the chapter but for some reason could not join in the regular way could become a Social Affiliate or Social Associate (slight differences from house to house). Anyway, they were called "Soch-A's" or "S.A.'s" and were considered if not like a brother then like a first cousin. They paid partial dues, contributed to the social fund and attended just about all the functions, but could not sit in/vote in chapter. They did not wear the badge but could wear slightly differenced letters like on sweat shirts or jerseys.
I understand this would happen if two shcools were located close by in the same area but only one had a chapter and the schools did not allow cross-over memberships. Sometimes a Social Affiliate would be initiated (with permission from International HQ) right after graduation and sometimes the work around was to have the SA enroll for a course during summer session and run them through the process then. A lot of SA's were never initiated but just hung out with the chapter. I never saw this as an undergrad but I hear that a number of houses still do this as a means to involve good candidates who for some reason can't come in through the usual means. I don't see how this could be available to an initiated member of another National but it might apply to members of locals. Also, I'm sure that if a member of XYZ transferred to a school where his house was not present he could hook up with the guys in another house that he got along with well and simply be accepted as a regular guest without being an actual part of the membership. Anybody else heard about this? Please join in. My info is second-hand and possibly out of date.
Old 06-16-2002, 01:34 PM

Re: Honorary membership

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaSigLana
I'm going to be attending University of West Florida and there is no ASA chapter there so am I able to become an honorary member of a house there?
Hmmm...I think when you get to University of West Florida, if you are spending a lot of time with one group, say Alpha Phi's or something...they might take you under their wing and sort of "unofficially adopt" you, but I don't think they can offer you honorary membership, since you already are an initiated member of one NPC.

You wouldn't be able to attend rituals or weekly meetings, since you have already been initiated into your own NPC. But you might be able to hang out at the house between classes, watch TV, etc. (Not sure about doing exchanges though).

That's how I see it.
Old 06-16-2002, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think that any sorority can do anything official in terms of membership since you are already a member of an NPC group.. . however as has been said if you find a chapter you get along with and cna hang out with, even though you cant do meetings and such they could still invite you to their events... and I think even if you do have to take alum status you can still serve in some capacity on panhel on your new campus... if not a direct delegate, maybe some sort of advisor. I would suggest contacting them and letting them know you're interested in being involved in greek life even though you don't have a chapter. I know there is a girl at my school who was an ADPI, and we don't have a chapter, so she is giong to be a rho Chi (talk about being impartial!) and she helps out alot with our panhel.
Old 06-16-2002, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

According to the governing documents of Sigma Nu one cannot have dual membership. That being -- another IFC type organization. Honorary being one thing, being a true, initiated member is completely another thing.

Also, Sigma Nu does not have "honorary" membership. We can, however fully initiate someone who is not a matriculate. The process involves an appeal to the highest governing body of Sigma Nu. We did that when we recieved our charter. Our faculty advisor who during his time in college had never been involved in Greek Life was initiated as a full brother of Sigma Nu (I handled the application process).
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma

Last edited by Kevin; 06-16-2002 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-16-2002, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

thanks guys.I don't intend on asking any house to make me an honorary member. I was just curious on how an NPC member could be involved with a different chapter than their own.
I may see if I can atleast be involved with panhellenic.
Old 06-16-2002, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaSigLana
thanks guys. I don't intend on asking any house to make me an honorary member. I was just curious on how an NPC member could be involved with a different chapter than their own.
I may see if I can atleast be involved with panhellenic.
Lana,
I think you could definitely be a Panhellenic advisor.
What's more, the fact that ASA doesn't have a chapter at your new campus, makes you very desirable, as you can be totally impartial/unbiased.

For example, NeonPi, GCer on this board is an advisor at the U of Manitoba (they have AGD, ADPi and APhi there) NeonPi is an AOII so she is an advisor, and she can impartial as AOII is not represented there.

Another example is at U of Toronto. There is no Phi Sigma Sigma there, and the U of Toronto Panhellenic Advirsor is a PhiSigSig. It helps, since she can be impartial!

Have fun at your new school!

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 06-16-2002 at 10:33 PM.
Old 06-16-2002, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
AlphaSigLana, I know that sometimes transfer students help colonize new chapters at their new schools. I suggest that you contact the Panhel at the University of West Florida. Maybe you can work as an advisor or affiliate with an Alumni Association in the area. Good luck!
Old 06-16-2002, 10:32 PM

Lana -

I agree with Cutie Pie - they would probably love to have you help with bid matching and such, since you would be impartial.

I have heard of guys being "social" members but even though there were girls who might hang out a lot with a sorority other than their own, they would never put anything resembling a label on it.