GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,466
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Angelow
» Online Users: 2,274
0 members and 2,274 guests
No Members online

Old 12-08-2004, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
DC and NoVA GCers -

Hey guys -

This weekend, for work, I'm heading to DC - same drill as before, I have no clue what the f- is in the area, so suggestions would be nice so my coworkers and I don't sit around looking like jerkoffs going, "well, i mean, this place looks ok . . . "

Cabbing is not out of the question, we'll bill it out or write it off, etc etc etc, so go nuts.

We're staying in the Pentagon area, in Alexandria - any decent bars/clubs/restaurants anyone wants to suggest?

We need two levels here - first, places to potentially go with the people paying for us to be there, and second, places to go get drunk. My coworkers range from very cool to exceptionally lame (and there's only 3 going, do the math), so middle-of-the-road places are best. I'm also the only guy, so that might shade your recommendations.

Also - Iowa/ISU basketball is on friday night, and the local UI fans watch games at the Crystal City Sports Pub (apparently) - does this place suck? Would I be better off following it on my cellphone? I'm going to be a wreck about the game no matter what, might as well be in a cool place.

Thanks guys, you're saving me hours of haggling that would shave years off my life.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-08-2004, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

http://www.washingtonian.com/inwashington/default.asp

http://www.dcsocialinsider.com/

Nas will be at Dream Nightclub on Friday night: http://www.digitalcity.com/washingto...p?evid=2003018

(Dream is a club frequented by Black folks - I'm not sure of the demographics of your trio, but wanted to make sure you didn't end up somewhere where any of you would be uncomfortable; I know I like to know beforehand what I'm walking into. AND Dream is expensive (cover and drinks). But it might be worth it for Nas. And it's not very middle of the road, either. Dress to impress if you go. I think it's overrated. But that's just me.)

You can look up other bars here: http://www.digitalcity.com/washington/bars/

Also, you will want to hit Adams Morgan (for the second level, to get drunk). ( http://www.adamsmorgan.net/ ) It is a strip of bars/clubs/restaurants. A lot of it is free, but a few places have covers. Tell the women to wear comfy shoes b/c it's a lot of walking. Go to the Jumbo slice pizza place at the end of the night. One slice is HUGEmungous. And there are ALWAYS characters to laugh at. I love laughing at drunk people at the end of the night. Now, there are actually two pizza places that say jumbo slice, but you want the one where people are walking out with one slice of pizza on two paper plates. Perfect food after a night of drinking.

Oh wait. There's also Ben's Chili Bowl. Another good spot for after clubbing/drinking eats. http://www.benschilibowl.com/

Ok, hope that helps. I know nothing about the VA area except for Pentagon City Mall.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't make it down to NOVA too often and when I do it's Arlington, so I don't know a ton about the area. Check out On Tap, which has info on some of the bars there in Alexandria. They don't update the drink specials too often so don't put too much stock in that, but the info about the type of crowd and general cost are accurate.

Also, I'd recommend taking the Metro if you're going farther than a few minute cab ride...in the DC area your fare is calculated by "zones" or some crap and they're such a ripoff.

If you'll be in town Saturday night and you've got some drinkers with you, hop on the Metro and go to My Brother's Place in the Capitol Hill area. You have to walk through a bit of a seedy area from the Metro to the bar, but they've got all you can drink beer for $12 and a lot of Catholic U students go there and stuff, so it's a young crowd.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:28 PM

Re: DC and NoVA GCers -

Quote:
Originally posted by KSig RC
We're staying in the Pentagon area, in Alexandria - any decent bars/clubs/restaurants anyone wants to suggest?

Don't quote me on this, but I am pretty sure the Pentagon is in Arlington. Not sure if that makes any difference in your plans, though, since Alexandria and Arlington are right next to each other
Old 12-08-2004, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Re: Re: DC and NoVA GCers -

Quote:
Originally posted by KillarneyRose
Don't quote me on this, but I am pretty sure the Pentagon is in Arlington. Not sure if that makes any difference in your plans, though, since Alexandria and Arlington are right next to each other
yeah i'm pretty sure we're on the cusp of that entire area - the hotel is the "pentagon/alexandria" but it's in alexandria. i obviously do results and not planning for studies, as I'm clueless past that. this post is currently useless, so . . . .

. . . big ups to the help so far, all sounds good - I'd be totally into Nas, too, but the crowd probably won't be, uh, jesus they'd never go. my loss, for sure.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

THe thing about the DC NoVA area is that things are pretty close in terms of distance...no traffice, thats another thing.

I live in Arlington..there are definately some fun bars/restaurants up on Wilson Blvd. There is a Cheesecake Factory, this place celled Whitlows on Wilson, The Galazy Hut has live music - and thats all right in the same place - its at the Clarendon Metro. As for nearer to Alexandria - Old Town is really fun. Can't think of anything off the top of my head ( I normally don't make plans there) but the whole area has great shopping/food, etc.

Another fun area to go to in terms of bars is M st. There is tons of stuff in Georgetown by Wisconson as well as many bars on M st and like 18, 19th and 20th. I personally like The Sign of the Whale and The Madhatter.

Those are just a few suggestions.....Hope that helps.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jess_pom
If you're into country music at all there's Nick's Nightclub in Alexandria. I've never been there but have heard good things about it! Nick's Nightclub