GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Community Service / Philanthropy

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,649
0 members and 1,649 guests
No Members online

Old 01-05-2003, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ASUGPhiB
Lightbulb Greek Week Ideas??

I go to Arizona State University and I am in charge of the Greek Week Kick off Day. Greek Week is a week long event this year on other days we are doing, penny wars, greek god/goddess and a dance marathon.

Which means I get to come up with an idea of what do. I have a huge lawn reserved in the middle of our campus (huge traffic area!).

I need to have schuduled events from 10am-4pm. Does anyone have any bright ideas???????????

One idea was to get bands to come and play. Kind of like a battle-of-the-bands.

Any Suggestions???

Please help! I have nothing.
Old 01-05-2003, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AXOMarq
Greek Week

Hey ASUGPhiB,

Greek Week at our school is a week where all the sororities compete against each other and the fraternities do the same. We start off the week with Greek Awards on Sunday night- everyone gets dressed up. Then Monday through Saturday there are events such as volleyball, basketball, kickball, Scholastic bowl, water balloon toss, etc. Then on Saturday night, we have Airband, a lip-sync contest. It is a huge deal, especially for the sororities. The judges tally up our scores and we find out that night how we did. It's stressful to try to get to all the events but it is still very fun.

Mary
Old 01-18-2003, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Chi O Cutie
Our greek week last year was tons of fun. It lasted a week and we called it the "Greek Unity Games". Each NPC group was paired up with a male NPHC group, and each female NPHC group was paired up with an IFC group. This worked out very well for the most part and there were several activities.

We had traditional relay games such as tug of war, egg toss and three legged races, but the biggest and most fun attraction was an all-greek step show. Each of the paired teams put together a 3-5 minute traditional step routine. Everyone at the university was welcome to attend the show. It was a great success. Everyone had a blast and it was nice to get to know other greeks on campus we didn't know as well.

There was also a trivia session, that was played in the style of "Who wants to be a millionaire". Each house was given a list of history questions about the university and each greek organization (usually the answers were information that could be found on the national website of each organization).

These ideas may not work for your campus, but they may help you formulate some ideas of your own.

Good luck and have fun!

Chi O Cutie

BTW, Chi O was paired up with the awesome gentlemen of Alpha Phi Alpha and we had a blast! Our step routine was absolutely the best. We won the overall Greek Week Co-Championship and we hope that we get to work with them again this year!!!
Old 01-18-2003, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

We have an annual Mud Volleyball tournament on the last day of Greek Week. It's sooo much fun! All the PNMs are invited out to watch the fraternities compete & the sororities compete in a fun atmosphere. Here it's always held at the Sig Ep house b/c they have an off-campus house with a HUGE field, so they always set up the net there & hose the field until a giant mudhole is created. After the games, everyone runs into the mud, throws it at one another, and wrestles around. It's hilarious!
Old 01-22-2003, 08:39 PM

We have tug-of-war. It's fun because all the guys will round up their biggest and strongest guys. Can you imagine 10 guys who are about 215 pounds each falling on top of each other? It's definitely a memorable experience.
Old 01-31-2003, 04:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MSSTCY1
Mud Volleyball is an awesome idea. At my campus, a lot of the fraternity's get together and take turns beating in a car. I know it sounds wierd but alot of people participate ( a lot of non-greeks too).

They basically take a sledge hammer and literally take it to a random car that is taken from a junk yard. It's a lot of fun and draws a lot of attention..... which is the point of greek week!
Old 05-01-2003, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SAEParm22203
For our Greek Week kickoff at UT-Dallas we do a Greek Sing. Each organization does a song, skit, etc. to represent their group. This is a fun way to break the ice as well as a fun way to start Greek Week.
Old 07-01-2003, 12:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to butterfly2001nc
NCSU

ohhh, we had Lip Sync and Serenade (always entertaining). Plus tug-of-war, kickball, volleyball, etc. Always a great time! An award ceremony is always held at the end of the week. We get Greek Week T-shirts also!
Old 07-04-2003, 12:18 AM
GreekChat Member

just a suggestion

ok i know it's weird but you could have jello wrestling. it was something that my chapter of NHS tried to do in high school to raise money - but the school wouldn't let us.

anyway we were thinking we could get the local supermarket to donate a ton of jello...get a bunch of people to help you make the jello, dump it in a baby swimming pool, and charge people a buck to wrestle their friends or whatever. get some tunes going and you'd draw the people over...especially since you have that nice lawn space. you might be able to make some money that way...or just draw a crowd. i don't know...just a wee suggestion. and its nothing that expensive to pull off either.

good luck
Old 09-29-2009, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Need Help

i go to RIT in NY. Our greek system has been lacking for years and I would like advice from greeks in other schools. I want to throw the best greek week ever as that has nto been a strong point either. I need suggestions and help for what works at your schools and what brings out the most people. Please help. thank you
Old 09-29-2009, 01:19 PM

what are you doing presently that doesn't work?
Old 09-29-2009, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritgreek View Post
i go to RIT in NY. Our greek system has been lacking for years and I would like advice from greeks in other schools. I want to throw the best greek week ever as that has nto been a strong point either. I need suggestions and help for what works at your schools and what brings out the most people. Please help. thank you
We have done tons of different events in the past: relay races, human bowling, tug-of-war, sand volleyball, pie eating contests, etc. The fraternities compete against the fraternities, sororities compete against sororities.

On occasion, we've done two events each day, but we had each GLO "host" an event. For example, if we did human bowling, one of the fraternities would be in charge of getting the equipment and making sure everything was set up. If we did a pie eating contest after that, a sorority would be in charge of getting the pie plates, pudding, and whipped cream, and making the pies. It actually worked out well and didn't put all of the responsibility on a few people.

Our two larger events that never changed, and where other students always showed up to watch, are Greek Sing and the chariot races.

Greek Sing: Each organization was to put on a 10 minute skit, with many different clips of songs, and lip sync/dance/perform to all of them. They were usually funny, and very entertaining. This earned GLOs more points than any of the other events throughout the week, so everyone was very competitive, and themes of the skits were kept top secret until the performance. We would always find 3 faculty or staff members to judge the skits.

Chariot races: Each organization has their own chariot. Some have been using the same one for years and are VERY nice. Some show up to the event ready to use an office chair. It would sometimes be pretty hilarious.

Another thing that would help an organization... spirit points. You can get so many points for the percentage of your GLO that is present at an event, and also for how many posters you have and how decked out your members are (in your colors, facepaint, etc.)

Another thing that I've heard they added this year: a philanthropy project. Each chapter has to have some kind of small fundraiser that will raise money for the Children's Miracle Network. GLOs will earn points depending on how much money they raise.

The Greek Advisor keeps track of all of the points, tallies them up at the end of the week, and announces the winner.

Hope this helps!

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 09-29-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:16 PM

More "Greek Week ideas" threads:

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ght=greek+week

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ght=greek+week

Lakers Nation.