GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,563
0 members and 2,563 guests
No Members online

Old 09-08-2008, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry Being micro-managed? Come join me...

Seriously, how do you deal with this? In my department, it comes from the VP and trickles on down. It seems that the general rule is to push everything off on the analysts, have them work 55 plus hours (while your manager barely scrapes in 40) to get it done AND to make sure it get's down, have the managers and the director constantly ask you about it (in addition to the weekly updates every monday via email, the weekly one-on-one meeting with your manager, and the bi weekly staff meeting).

It's to the point to where I will only communicate with anyone via email (for proof) and I save copies of every email i receive no matter how trivial. Top it off with a manager that doesn't know SQUAT, it really sucks....

Anyone else has this issue or any I just lucky? Share your stories
Old 09-09-2008, 12:38 AM

The best way to deal is to watch Office Space a lot with your favorite beverage.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:56 AM
GC Member

Send a message via AIM to OneTimeSBX Send a message via Yahoo to OneTimeSBX
i can deal with being underpaid better than i can being micro-managed...it is a major peeve of mines. you hired me to do my job. let me do it! if you have a problem, by all means, let me know. but dont walk past my desk to tell someone else to ask me about it! LAZY A**ES!

and yes, an Office Space/vodka session works well. but it works even better when you download them onto your ipod and watch it on your lunch break at the Applebee's bar lol!
Old 09-09-2008, 05:38 AM
GreekChat Member

The family that owns the business I work for has trust issues. They used to micromanage the crap out of me and my ex-coworker. Then, when my ex-coworker left, all of a sudden, it all stopped. I really think the problem was with my ex-coworker, but I can't put my finger on what exactly it was. Maybe something to do with the giant mountain of sticky notes on her desk that pretty much served as her personal "handbook and how-to".
Old 09-09-2008, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm fairly lucky - the attorneys I work for give me projects, and I'm left alone to get them done. They're available as resources if I have problems with the research, or if I'm confused as to a certain issue, but they aren't looking over my shoulder at all. They're generally too busy to worry about how I'm doing my job, as long as I do it well.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

One of my former bosses used to be so laid back. He was on top of it enough to know what was going on, but didn't need to know every minut detail.

That all changed when his boss changed.

It got ridiculous, so I flat out told him, "I know you're doing this b/c your boss micromanages you, but really, you're driving me crazy" and it stopped right then and there. I'm guessing he didn't realize he was driving his team to the very edge of their sanity until I brought it up.

I think it helps if you bring it out in the open instead of secretly hating him/her for it. Depending on the kind of relationship you have with your mgr. you might want to "soften" the way I put it
Old 09-11-2008, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas*princess View Post
One of my former bosses used to be so laid back. He was on top of it enough to know what was going on, but didn't need to know every minut detail.

That all changed when his boss changed.

It got ridiculous, so I flat out told him, "I know you're doing this b/c your boss micromanages you, but really, you're driving me crazy" and it stopped right then and there. I'm guessing he didn't realize he was driving his team to the very edge of their sanity until I brought it up.

I think it helps if you bring it out in the open instead of secretly hating him/her for it. Depending on the kind of relationship you have with your mgr. you might want to "soften" the way I put it
Hmmm, good idea. Similiarly, before it wasn't like this - until my director was promoted and relocated to another system. I think our VP has always been a micro-manager, but the old director deflected most of it from his staff since it wasn't like this until he left. Maybe our new director hasn't learned the "deflection" technique or something. lol
Old 12-13-2008, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
If any of the bosses try to micro-managed my team or my portfolio, I threaten to leave the firm and take all the business to another firm. Did it once, and they never did it again.