GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Community Service / Philanthropy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,166
2 members and 2,164 guests
No Members online

Old 09-30-2005, 03:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Up Till Dawn

Has anyone ever heard of this program or done it at their school? It's a program to benefit the St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital. We're bringing it to my school for the first time next month and I'm on eboard for that. I'm the morale chair so I wanted to ask the people who've had experience with that in the past what's helped and what hasn't and suggestions and whatnot. Thanx.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-30-2005, 05:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
we're doing it right now!! although, it seems like information on what we're actually *doing* didn't really get disseminated to your average Joe and Jane member.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PhoenixAzul
we're doing it right now!! although, it seems like information on what we're actually *doing* didn't really get disseminated to your average Joe and Jane member.
It's a new program here and I feel like people are going to be having the same problem. There's a lot of flyers and things for it everywhere, but I just don't think that people get how it works and whatnot.
Old 09-30-2005, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

We have this program at my old school. You have to really have people committed to fundraising because it is a long process. We had letter-writing campaigns, rockathons to raise money, etc. A lot you can do is raising awareness of what the Hospital is all about. Many people don't know. The hospital is a fabulous one for kids' cancer treatment, a great cause to support.

[Side Story]: A good friend of mine from college was a patient at St. Jude's. She had several brain tumors and was operated on and treated there. It's a great place to be treated; wonderful treatment for children. Although Somer is no longer with us, I know that she was given the best care at St. Jude's and I will always support their organization. [/end story]
Old 09-30-2005, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Our school does this around Greek Week since the funds from that week go to St. Jude's. They do a letter writting campaign. It's for points for the week though. But each house ends up with about 500-600 letters written because everyone tries to get the max number of points.

They also do a kid's carnival. I'm not sure if they actually bring kids from the hospital to it, but kids show up and play.

I don't know too much about it because it started after I graduated.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to goldendelta
My school is doing it this year. The ladies in the chapter I advise are helping our local St. Jude's rep orgainze the whole event. They're really excited about it. They also participated in Sincerely Yours (which it like Tri Delta's version of Up Til Dawn) last spring and raised about $5000.

Life Loyal
Old 09-30-2005, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you to everyone for your responses. We are having this program in about 3 weeks. I don't know how many teams have registered as of yet because I just got my eboard stuff for it last night. I know that a lot of people are aware of it, but right now my worry is that people aren't really clear on what it is and how it works. We've dne Relay for Life at Marist for the past two years also, and I think that some people may assume that it works in the same way as Relay. What has worked on your campuses about getting the word out about it and getting people excited for it.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Long-distance information, give me Memphis, Tennessee!
Hey! We have Up 'Til Dawn at Christian Brothers University (of course! It is in Memphis along with Saint Jude ). Actually I think the old Greek Advisor at CBU was one of the founders of the whole program (at University of Memphis).

We had teams of 5-6 for letter-writing parties, and we had a 5K. Teams were also encouraged to do individual fundraising, ie canning or a date auction.

Good luck! As Morale Chair, maybe you could paint banners and put em up on campus, or put a nice note (mini-flyer) of thanks in the mailboxes of all who register.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

We do it @ my school alot too such a good time
Old 01-26-2006, 08:33 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305 Send a message via Skype™ to sigtau305
I got the information. I'm trying to have it as part of This year's Greek Fest.

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!
Old 02-02-2006, 02:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to xogirl27 Send a message via Yahoo to xogirl27
We have Up Til Dawn at my school. We are, currently, the smallest school to do this program. Last year we raised $12,000 and this year, so far, we have raised $18,000. It is possible to get people involved, it just takes a bit of work. I suggest keeping in contact with all the people who are interested and involved, and start looking for sponsorships and donations EARLY. It is hard to do in the crunch.

If you have the chance, go to the convention in Memphis during the summer. It is an absolutely fabulous experience that you will not want to pass up... and you will come away with such a different perspective and awesome ideas. You also get to meet patients one on one.

We always bring in a patient from the area when we hold events. It really brings up people's emotions - to know there are actually kids who benefitting from the things that they do.

Good luck!

Last edited by xogirl27; 02-02-2006 at 11:37 AM.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:57 AM
GreekChat Member

I participated in Up Til Dawn this fall. It was the 2nd year we've done it on campus. I really enjoyed it because they had really good entertainment. They also got Olive Garden to provide salads and breadsticks, and those were a big hit! Good Luck!
Old 04-29-2006, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

exec board help is here!

i've been an active member of UTD going on 3 years now. i was on exec board last year as the patient relations chair and i am the public relations chair for this coming year. UTD at christian brothers university is awesome. we raised more money this year than we have in the past 3 combined!

ok enough bragging about our awesome program ...for the morale chair with the question:

our morale chair this year kept the morale captains organized. each captain had about 3 teams and they were to report to the chair on a regular basis. if there was an event (5k, finale event, fundraising party) the captains became the primary volunteers. being the patient relations chair and living in memphis, i used the morale chair to contact the captains about head counts for the hospital tours.

at cbu, the morale captains keep the show running by attending every event and set up/clean up. the morale chair keeps them informed and organized.

hope this helps!

whit

if anyone else needs help with other positions, just ask!

* Z T A *