GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,298
4 members and 2,294 guests
flirt5721, FSUZeta, PKT4LIFE

Old 07-10-2001, 09:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb THE NAACP

is holding its 92nd Conference here in New Orleans this week. As I was listening to Tom Joyner earlier, Tavis gave his report from the convention.

Tavis addressed the fact that many are there for the convention, but a group of our community was missing, THE YOUNG BLACK PROFESSIONAL.

What is your opinion of the NAACP in the 21st Century? Is it making an impact in our country? Has it lost its purpose? Is it needed now? Is it a force to be reckoned with?

Is anyone a member of the NAACP? Has anyone been a member in years past?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-10-2001, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

I think the NAACP has always had to walk a tight line between addressing the needs of the Black community, and working w/in the system. Sadly, I think the NAACP has lost sight of the fact that the needs of the Black community are in direct conflict with the system that they work within. Here's an example:
When I was at Penn state, the NAACP chapter was inactive since the end of my freshman year, SP 96. That fact is still debated, but according to NAACP regional people, it's true. Anyway, when we were going through that hellish experience at PSU, the Pres of the university refused to meet w/ us. This is after a racist death threat told us that a Black man had been killed and 1 week later the body of a Black man was found. So the Regional NAACP folks came to help out. Well the university wouldn't meet w/ us, but they would meet w/ the NAACP who they wanted to represent our needs to the school, provided that none of us came.
When we asked them why they felt they could fully represent our needs after having met w/ us for less than 1/2 an hour, they explained that they felt strongly that they could. They went on to say, that as the local chapter has been inactive for nearly 5 years for the low, low fee of $10 a head, we could reactiveate it right now, and the next time something like this happened, we would be better prepared.
Now here we are, members of the Black Caucus, and Sankofa (active and organized Black organizations on campus), with thousands of student protestors of all races supporting us, all locked in a building, with the body of a dead Black male that the university is trying to cover up, and these people--after 45 minutes--want to speak for us, and chastise us by saying had we been affiliated w/ thier group, we would have been ok. We told them that while we appreciated their help, we were sure they could understand that due to the war-like nature of the present situation, we would not be passing around an NAACP signup sheet in the immediate future. But when the PSU sh!t got national, the NAACP came back with the national big boys, we even had Kweisi speak to an audience of a few hundred through cell phone.
Within 2, yes TWO days, the NAACP had re-activated the PSU chapter, had an executive board, an agenda (the main point of which was getting metal dectors at graduation), and an attitude at the fact that we did not allow them to take control of the situation. They would not, or were unable to address the very severe issues that we were addressing, as the university had told them that most of what we wanted was not negotiable.
Even though days later, we ended up getting exactly what we wanted, point is that the NAACP had come to negotiate with the PSU system. The needs of that system were in direct conflict with the needs of the Black community, but the NAACP felt like they could accomplish more by negotiating, and we believe(d) that our freedom was not negotiable. I believe that there is a place for the NAACP, but only once they realize that begging for scraps from the massa's table is not an option. This is just one example, but it has helped to sharply alter my once high regard for this organization.
Old 07-10-2001, 01:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to The Original Ape
Cool

Years ago I was a member. It tried very hard to serve our needs, but our own people would sell out, and the organization overall didn't appear to be effective. With Mfume in charge, it could be a very powerful organization.
Old 07-10-2001, 07:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Alias_01
I am a member of the NAACP..but i'm not real active here in my city. I'm thinking of getting more involved when I go to school.
Old 07-10-2001, 08:16 PM
GreekChat Member

I am not a member of the NAACP, but I feel that in recent years their membership has not attracted people of lower socio-economic means. Yes they try and mobilize young blacks, but mainly it's on a collegiate level. Why not try and reach all instead of the black bougiouse (sp?). Kwesi Mfume and the rest of the leadership in the NAACP, I feel are not reaching out to the very people they claim to represent. The NAACP could be a useful tool in civil equality, but are they now? NO. Just because a few of us get beyond the glass ceiling or others hang around somewhere near the top, doesn't mean the struggle for civil rights is over. After reading what 1 Woman of Virtue had to say about her experience at Penn, I was reminded of the quote that talks about feeding a man as opposed to teaching him how to fish. They need to go out in the communities and teach seminars on economic and political empowerment. That would be the best way to help Black America.

------------------
KAPPA ALPHA PSI FRATERNITY, INC.
SPR 97
XI LAMBDA
Old 07-11-2001, 09:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

I serve as VP of the Raleigh/Apex Branch. I see first hand how this historic organization continues to meet the needs of many. Younger Brothers and Sisters have forgot much of the struggle. Many only see and receive
benefits from the struggle. While I'm glad that we have made progress, the NAACP continues to be the most powerful civil rights organization in the country. For those that are not members, let something happen to you at work or some undeserving assault by a non-black - the first thing blacks do is call the NAACP!
Old 07-11-2001, 08:03 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305 Send a message via Skype™ to sigtau305
Smile

I have been a member of the college chapter here at cleveland state for a while before the organization was disbanded. I feel that the NAACP will grow even stronger than ever. just as it was needed in the past, The NAACP is needed now more than ever. as long as Kwesi Mfume continues to lead the way, the organization will remain known as the biggest civil rights organization in the U.S.

------------------
Garth J. Lampkin
Sigma Tau Gamma Fraternity,Inc.
Beta Upsilon Chapter
Cleveland State University
Cleveland,Ohio
Old 07-11-2001, 09:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Professor:
For those that are not members, let something happen to you at work or some undeserving assault by a non-black - the first thing blacks do is call the NAACP!
And what does the NAACP do then?

Has anyone seen the TV America's Black Forum with James Brown (not that one), Armstrong Todd, and sometimes Julian Bond? Well once they were discussing the NAACP's role and Todd made a very poignant statement. He mentioned that the NAACP does not, in this day, do as much for the smaller, less public cases of discrimination that take place. They do not offer comprehensive legal help on the local level. They do not stretch out the hand of resources to those whose cases will not make the headlines or result in large settlements, although it touts itself as such in their mailings.

How do I know? Shortly after the broadcast my mother had on-going incidents of discrimination at work and someone suggested she contact the local NAACP. They told her that although they sympathized with her situation, they could not help her because it was an isloated incident-meaning, she was the only one experiencing it. But of course they were nice enough to put us on their mailing list so that they could beg us for money.

The NAACP is not attractive to most because it seems like the last fire truck to arrive nowadays. It's like everything has to go wrong before the NAACP will even acknowledge that there is a problem. If they were more active in putting out the smaller fires in the community, it would show Blacks that they are working for them at all levels. But when they only show up when there is an audience, you can feel as though they are there more for what the situation can do for them, and not what they can do for the situation.

Old 07-11-2001, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

1Woman of Virtue,

Dam! When I read the topic, I wanted to provide hope for all of us by (hoping to)inspiring Greeks to join and take leadership of it. I believe in organization, but I can't hang with any organization that lives by a "sellout" strategy. I wish all African-American and other members of the NAACP could hear your story about the PSU incident. After reading your account, I've lost all respect I had for it. It makes me wonder if we have any organization that isn't driven by someone else's politics, or by self enrichment.
Old 07-11-2001, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

PHUCK THE NAACP!!! LET'S START OUR OWN SHYT!!! Okay; all those in favor of startin' our own shyt say hey, eh!!!
Old 07-12-2001, 01:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Original Ape:
PHUCK THE NAACP!!! LET'S START OUR OWN SHYT!!! Okay; all those in favor of startin' our own shyt say hey, eh!!!
Yeah, but even a new org. will soon follow the NAACP's path because its the path of least resistance. I say, do for self. Thats what my moms had to do, and it worked out for her in the end.

Thats what the Blacks @ NU did.
Old 07-12-2001, 10:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

I will agree that it has become increasingly difficult for the NAACP to fund programs that assist our community. However, we need to consider that this organization primarily consists of volunteers and has very few paid staff. While many state they are non-members but call upon the org. for assistance, I suggest that we encourage others to support the NAACP financially and in volunteerism in hopes that funding of programs will be restored. I'm saddened to learn that GCers are not supporting an organization that helped pave the way for us. How soon we forget!

------------------
"The World Belongs to Those Who Care Deeply,
Who Dream Broadly, and Who Work Steadfastly."
Old 07-12-2001, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Hey! Eh!!

Does anyone listen to Dead Prez? They have a song (Police State) on there where one of them says, "I've come to one conclusion, N****s ain't ready for revolution."

I think that this is very true. How far are our people really willing to go. My personal opinion, Caucasion allies are cool, but we can do without them and their system and their help. Like 1Woman said, the system and our needs and demands are always in conflict with one another. But our people are STILL and will probably ALWAYS try to right wrongs within the confines of this jacked up system. That includes the NAACP. It's as though we are afraid to rock the boat. Or we are afraid to take a stand, because we feel as though we have too much at stake, we stand to lose too much? We don't want to lose our jobs. We don't want the white people to think we are militants. We don't want to scare them. But what do we really stand to lose? Do we stand to lose more than we stand to gain in up coming years? Why do we never think back to the civil rights movement (why did it end???) and what they lost so that we could gain. ARGH!!! Don't get me started... I'm just gonna stop right now.

Courtesy of DeadPrez...

"...N****s ain't ready for revolution...
The average Black male
lives a third of his life in a jail cell
and the world is controlled by the white male
and the people don't never get justice
and the women don't never get respected
and the problems don't never get solved
and the jobs don't never pay enough
that's why the rent always be late
Can you relate?
We livin' in a Police state..."

Old 07-12-2001, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to novella000
Quote:
ROTFL
EH!

TOA, you are too silly!
Old 07-12-2001, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Wink

It is always disappointing to have lost trust or hope in a leader or organization that you once held at such a high standard. That is why it is so important for us who do realiza and understnad this situation to do something about it. We cannot forget the hundreds of people and organizations out there in the communities that are making a difference. As we put so much energy in criticizing the NAACP we need to be giving as much attention to the local organizations. THEY NEED OUR HELP. As college educated people we have alot of power in our hands. We can volunteer our time and help these organizations build better managerial strategies, web pages etc. We can go back to school and talk about what these groups do. We can give them an extra voice and attention.
I am not a memeber of the NAACP, but I would like to get involved with them. At the same time I plan to be more involved with my loca community. It seems that teh NAACP strategy is to work from the high end and hope that theri work will trickle down to those at the "bottom". It seems to be the way to accomplish goals these days. My idea is to work from all ends in hope of achieving out goals and objectives sooner. The bottom line is that it is going to take out individual drive to get us where we want to go. That is just my immediate opinion.

Happy4Eva