GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,275
3 members and 1,272 guests
Titchou

Old 02-23-2018, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Parents who lost children to alleged hazing incidents call for change

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/News/paren...ry?id=53283945

Quote:
Two families who lost sons due to alleged hazing incidents at college fraternities have united to offer each other support as they both heal, and are together fighting for changes at the university and legislative level to make sure no other family has to suffer the same tragedy.

This weekend, the Piazzas and Gruvers are also banding together with other parents from across the country who have been impacted by hazing for a conference in Greenville, South Carolina.

“We're getting together with a group of other families that have lost children," Jim Piazza said of the event. "Our objective that we all share is to talk about stiffer legislation around the country."

He added that they hope to tackle: "How do we deal with national fraternities? How do we deal with universities throughout the country? And how to we provide a support group for others who are dealing with this?”

The Gruvers, who are also fighting for legislation reform around hazing incidents, said that while most states currently treat hazing as a misdemeanor, they are hoping to see it punishable with a felony charge.
I'd be interested to hear what they're proposing.

@~/~~~~
Old 02-23-2018, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

I hope that we identify real problematic behaviors in order to enhance misdemeanor charges to felony charges. Alcohol or drug use while engaging in otherwise problematic activity is something I could see being used to enhance misdemeanor charges to felony charges.

Let's hope though that we don't end up with kids charged with felonies because they ran a scavenger hunt.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 02-23-2018, 04:33 PM
GreekChat Member

From a few years ago:
http://www.hanknuwer.com/happy-birth...-of-c-h-u-c-k/

And this popped up from Wikipedia:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hazing_deaths_in_the_United_States

and also from Hank Nuwer:
www.hanknuwer.com/hazing-deaths/

Old 02-23-2018, 04:36 PM

Why is it never mentioned that the Piazzas had another older son who was in the same chapter of the same fraternity?
Old 02-24-2018, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Why is it never mentioned that the Piazzas had another older son who was in the same chapter of the same fraternity?
I didn't know this. Or maybe I did, but I've read so many stories about this, and it's so rarely mentioned that I simply forgot.

@~/~~~~
Old 02-26-2018, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Do you know this to be true? I heard the older brother say that he was never interested in a fraternity. And, since he was a junior when his brother would have accepted a bid, wouldn't he have been there on bid night himself? It would be very odd if he had been a member of this chapter and opted to skip bid night when his own brother was being welcomed into the chapter.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I just did a quick search and found a statement in a “Time” article that said “Michael, Tim’s older brother, who was not in a fraternity...”
I know I had read early on that he was also a Beta. I guess he could have depledged—or even deactivated.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGD-GRAD View Post
I know I had read early on that he was also a Beta. I guess he could have depledged—or even deactivated.
I know I’ve read it multiple times and in multiple places - and I would think that if he had depledged or deactivated he would have brought it up. The whole matter is sketchy IMO. I don’t think anyone would have claimed he was a member with nothing to back it up.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
From a few years ago:
http://www.hanknuwer.com/happy-birth...-of-c-h-u-c-k/

And this popped up from Wikipedia:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hazing_deaths_in_the_United_States

and also from Hank Nuwer:
www.hanknuwer.com/hazing-deaths/
🙄🙄🙄

The problem with Hank Nuwer (besides his being a big ole media whore) is that he lumps any death even remotely associated with a Greek letter org as “hazing.” Case in point: #49 or #50 on that list. A rushee fell down a set of stairs in a house during rush tours and died 2 days later. In what universe is that hazing??? He so calls his credibility into question that he’s done an incredible amount to damage his own cause.