GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Beta > Beta Sigma Phi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,370
1 members and 1,369 guests
LaneSig

Old 05-24-2016, 07:14 AM
GreekChat Member

I have no idea what I'm doing!

Alright so I'm very interested in joining the lovely women of Beta Sigma Phi. I've been reading about the organization all night but I can't really figure out what the process is. I have quite a few questions and if you can help me out please do!

1. I sent them my info over a little online form thing with my name, address, phone #, age range, and chapter preference. I didn't call them or email 'rushing-friendlyventure' or any direct administrators. Will it take too long this way? Should I email/call them anyway? There are a bunch of chapters in my area, how long will it take to get a response? (I also told them I'm open to online chapters)

2. On the website there's a button that says "Submit New Pledge Form" where you fill in your info and pay your initial fee. Do you submit this form and pay the fees before you meet with a chapter?

3. How long after meeting with a chapter do you become a pledge?

4. When do I officially become a member/sister? After I pay my initial fees? After being accepted as a pledge? After the 6 months of pledge training?

5. What if none of the chapters in my area want to take me? Can I just reapply for online membership or will they do it for me?

6. Can I still rush in the summer? Like, can I rush/become a member any time of year? Or does the whole process have to be put on hold until fall because that's usually when sorority recruitment/rushing is?

Last edited by hopeful_betasig; 05-24-2016 at 07:50 AM.
Old 05-24-2016, 08:31 AM

Not a Beta Sig but re #6, I really don't think it has anything to do with collegiate NPC sorority recruitment as they are 2 entirely different things.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Not a Beta Sig but re #6, I really don't think it has anything to do with collegiate NPC sorority recruitment as they are 2 entirely different things.
Oddly enough, her concern is valid for Beta. Many chapters operate on a August/September-May schedule and don't hold meetings or rush in Summer. Some chapters operate all year round, and *might* choose to rush in Summer. Not being a member of a chapter, she wouldn't know what schedule the chapters in her area might follow. In my area for example, chapters don't rush in Summer.

Hopeful, I'm pleased to answer your questions:

1. Please contact the phone number listed on the prospective member page of the Beta Sigma Phi website. They are there to help you. They will let other chapters in your area know that you're interested in the sorority and it is up to those chapters to contact you. Sometimes it takes a while to hear back, and if you don't hear anything within the next two or three months.....just give that number a call again.

2. Please don't fill out the form before joining a chapter. The form on the website is meant for women who have been invited to join who prefer to submit their paperwork electronically.

3. It varies. It doesn't take very long but every chapter is different.

4. This is treading slightly into private member information: essentially, once a sister always a sister, and it happens once you become a pledge.

5. If you're not able to find a land chapter then you can start your own along with six like minded friends. Online chapters are also really good way for interested women to join our sorority, but as always, not all chapters are accepting new members.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by misscherrypie; 05-24-2016 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Corrected something I was unclear about.