GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,423
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, acheldarko1907
» Online Users: 2,691
0 members and 2,691 guests
No Members online

Old 10-04-2006, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Fraternity Alumni Initation?

Does your Fraternity persue After Graduate Intiation how or why?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-05-2006, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Our chapter seeks out outstanding men who had some affiliation with the fraternity but who were never initiated, and invited them to become officially initiated at one of the two annual alumni reunions (fall and spring). Last year we initiated the baseball coach (older brother was a Pike at N.C. State), a well as members of the "Firemen", a group of uniniated colony members and sub-rosa affiliates from 1994. We reach out to pledges who were never initiated and try to close that circle.
Generally, we would not invite someone to be initiated who had no previous affiliation with Pi Kappa Alpha.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc., performs membership intake on the alumni level.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

In Alpha Phi Alpha, do the alumni new members have to serve any sort of probationary period before initiation?
Old 10-06-2006, 12:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehouse View Post
In Alpha Phi Alpha, do the alumni new members have to serve any sort of probationary period before initiation?
Yes. The intake process is identical for both alumni and undergraduates. All aspirants strive to prove themselves worthy, no matter how old they are or how far removed from college.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Very interesting. I've noticed that the black fraternities seem to benefit from the support of exceptionally loyal alumni. Impressive. You must place a great deal of emphasis on alumni relations.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehouse View Post
Very interesting. I've noticed that the black fraternities seem to benefit from the support of exceptionally loyal alumni. Impressive. You must place a great deal of emphasis on alumni relations.
Our organizations were established at a time when there were very few social and civic opportunities for educated black men and women. All we had was the Lodge and BGLOs, where our counterparts had many more opportunities for fraternal association.

Emphasis is therefore placed on a lifelong committment, and programming focuses on all phases of a member's life: collegiate, young alumni, married with children, and retirees.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
RE: Closing the circle.

My grandfather was initiated only a few years ago. He had been a social member of his fraternity in college, but could not afford the dues/initiation fee. It was special because my (bio) brother got to be there for it. I know initiation really made his year.
Old 10-06-2006, 04:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAzul View Post
RE: Closing the circle.

My grandfather was initiated only a few years ago. He had been a social member of his fraternity in college, but could not afford the dues/initiation fee. It was special because my (bio) brother got to be there for it. I know initiation really made his year.
Thank you for sharing. It is a special story.

Would you mind saying the Fraternity?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-18-2007, 01:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Kevlar281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
Does your Fraternity persue After Graduate Intiation how or why?
We do.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:13 AM
GreekChat Member

A recent alumni of one of the fraternities at my school passed away from leukemia last December. After a memorial service for him at school, the guys initiated his younger brother (not in college) to the fraternity so that he could have that in common with his brother.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

(Posted with the disclaimer that this is not official Kappa Sig policy, merely my understanding of what has been done in the past)

Kappa Sig in the past has initiated alumni/those out of college, but I believe it is only in very special circumstances. It is by no means something that is advertised. I'm not sure of the exact process.

Personally, I would only be in favor of alumni initiation in VERY special/specific circumstances. Personally, the simple fact that someone wanted to join would not be enough to extend membership to an alum.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:14 AM
Guest1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunatartare View Post
A recent alumni of one of the fraternities at my school passed away from leukemia last December. After a memorial service for him at school, the guys initiated his younger brother (not in college) to the fraternity so that he could have that in common with his brother.

That is so sweet
Old 01-18-2007, 11:15 AM

Sigma Chi also does it under special circumstances. The alumni initiate has to be approached about it, they cannot ask to be initiated.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 01-18-2007, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

It is done under special circumstances. It requires a vote of our high council.

That said, I've directly participated in the process twice.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma