GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,143
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, liscahvs8263
» Online Users: 1,444
0 members and 1,444 guests
No Members online

Old 07-25-2000, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to MaMaBuddha Send a message via AIM to MaMaBuddha Send a message via Yahoo to MaMaBuddha
Post hair racism...locs or not....

hey my people...

i was reading this internet article called "Rastafarian Officer Fights for Dreadlocks" here are a few excepts...

A Rastafarian police officer recently taken off Baltimore`s streets because of his dreadlocks may soon be fighting in court to walk his beat.
A six-year veteran of the force, Antoine Chambers was reassigned from his beat as a uniformed officer to desk duty after telling police officials that he would not obey a new division regulation barring officers from wearing dreadlocks, cornrows and braids

Chambers argued that cutting his dreadlocks would violate his religious beliefs as a Rastafarian, who grow their hair long and believe their long locks are supported by the Bible.

"They wanted me to cut off my locks completely," says Chambers. "I told my supervisor that the policy violated my religious and spiritual beliefs and that I would not obey a policy just because the department wanted everyone to look the same.

Chambers argues that his dreadlocks are well-kept and that he told his supervisors that they were not noticeable underneath his police cap. The Baltimore Police Department cannot prove that there is any compelling reason that Chambers dreadlocks would prevent him from doing his job effectively.

In addition, Sullivan argues that the policy is racist.

"Of course, we recognize that people other than African-Americans wear this hairstyle," Sullivan said. "But it is most commonly associated with African-Americans. I have no doubt in my mind, no doubt at all, that if this was a Jewish officer asking for his right to wear a yarmulke on the job the department would honor his religious right. This case is no different. A Rastafarian officer`s religious right to wear his dreadlocks is no different than a Jewish officers right to wear his yarmulke.....

now of course this got me to thinking about corporate america. the stiff suit, short hair cut and the so-call proper sway of speaking.

none of that applies to me. i am a beautiful african american woman with locs(i find nothing dreadful about locs) , piercings and tattoos for years and years, my parents have always told me think i must conform to the white man's corporate world because that is the only way i was going to get a good paying job. and for years i thought this way and then one day i woke up and said i've had enough. i am going to be me and make me happy.

there has been several times that i haven't gotten a job because of my hair, i am sure. and i must say i find that ridiculous because my hair has nothing to do with my performance. But the way of the world today "THE OLDER WHITE MAN'S" that is not appropriate in the corporate environment.

the funny thing is i even get rude and mean comments from my own race, i am not making with a race topic.

i currently work in a corporate atmosphere and even when i walked in the door i demanded respect and i let them know that i was well qualified. my hair and everything else had nothing to do with anything.

as i write this is...this article related to hair...but i want YOU..my fellow greeks and interests to let me know in what other ways you feel you have been discriminated against, ex...skin color, facial hair, piercings, tattoos...etc...

tell me what you think.....

peace and love and shay-butta

------------------
"the ORIGINAL soror from the dirtiest part of the south"
(cheese grits, hogmahs and fatback)

MaMaBuddha
Delta Alpha/Epsilon Tau
Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Innnnnncorporated.
Spring 94
the 24th Diva of Perfection

Alpha Phi Omega, Fraternity, Incorporated
Alpha Gamma Gamma
Fall '98

Order of Eastern Star
Prince Hall Affilated
Prince Hall #27
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-25-2000, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry

This has absolutely nothing to do with greek life........
Old 07-25-2000, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by preppie:
This has absolutely nothing to do with greek life........
So what. We have absolutely nothing better to do than to post on a message board. Lighten up, preppie.

Hey MaMaBuddha. I see you're keeping it rolling as usual. I saw this article on blackplanet, too. We just have too many battles to fight. What good reason could they possibly have for asking that man to cut his hair? It's not like he works in fast food! He's a police officer. They need as many good people as they can get. And you know that the 'no braids or dreads' rule only applies to ONE type of people. Hmm.. Some people never cease to amaze me.

Oh, and doesn't shea butter work miracles?! I love that stuff.

[This message has been edited by thatgirl (edited July 25, 2000).]
Old 07-25-2000, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

It just doesn't look that great to people who might actually come here looking for info on Greek life.
Old 07-25-2000, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thatgirl:
What good reason could they possibly have for asking that man to cut his hair? It's not like he works in fast food! He's a police officer. They need as many good people as they can get. And you know that the 'no braids or dreads' rule only applies to ONE type of people. Hmm.. Some people never cease to amaze me.
Without knowing how long these dreads are, I'd say it's the same reason they don't allow long hair whatever that reason is. yes, it does only apply to one type of people, the type that think their hair looks good in dreadlocks.

------------------
Steve Corbin
Lambda Chi Alpha
Theta Kappa Chapter
Rose-Hulman Inst. of Tech.
Old 07-25-2000, 05:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It just doesn't look that great to people who might actually come here looking for info on Greek life.
You know what? I'm sure that we aren't the only two people who have viewed this topic. The people who felt the same as you do probably just exited and found something that interested them more. It's no big deal. This is America, and there is more going on than Greek business, whether we like it or not.
Old 07-25-2000, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry

Exactly that girl, and there are other sites that are devoted to such topics.
Old 07-25-2000, 06:08 PM
Guy

There's nothing wrong with wearing dreadlocks to do your job. Bob Marley had dreadlocks, and he's regarded as the greatest reggae artist of all time!
Old 07-25-2000, 06:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Bob Marley was also in a profession where the wilder you look, the better. That's not the case when it comes to police officers. They want someone who is aesthetically pleasing that people feel safe patrolling their streets. Not that it's right, but a lot of people might find it unnerving to see someone with dreadlocks, long hair, a mohawk, tattoos all over their body, multiple body piercings, or what have you in a police uniform.

------------------
Steve Corbin
Lambda Chi Alpha
Theta Kappa Chapter
Rose-Hulman Inst. of Tech.
Old 07-25-2000, 07:49 PM
Kitten 22

I will say this, that if Rastafarian is his chosen religion, doesn't he have a right to practice it freely. The Constitution does guarantee freedom of religion. Does anyone think that his right to wear dreadlocks is protected under this law?
Old 07-25-2000, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MaMaBuddha:
Chambers argues that his dreadlocks are well-kept and that he told his supervisors that they were not noticeable underneath his police cap. The Baltimore Police Department cannot prove that there is any compelling reason that Chambers dreadlocks would prevent him from doing his job effectively.
Doesn't that just say it all? Forget about aesthetically pleasing. It seems to me that people think that conformity is the only way that we can coexist. It's not. But I see that some people are still threatened by the sheer presence of a black man. Some things never change.

Old 07-25-2000, 09:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Exactly that girl, and there are other sites that are devoted to such topics.
Get over it. The TOPIC should have told you enough. If you didn't want to read about it, then why did you come in? Geez. Run and tell one of the moderators if you think it's that doggone bad.

Old 07-25-2000, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

So locs are wild and compared to mohawks? I wear my hair in locs and it really gets to me that when we choose not to wear our hair straightened and permed but in it's naturally coiled state, then we're wild. I understand that police and military officers are supposed to wear their hair short, but the man said that his boss told him to cut them off completely. Why?? Why can't he wear locs at all?

It makes me so upset that some believe, in order for African Americans to make it in this world, they must assimilate and conform to the White "majority." That's bull. It is not my intention to make this a race issue, but my hair is beautiful and will be beautiful whether I am in a reggae band or in corporate America.

Quote:
Originally posted by Corbin Dallas:
Bob Marley was also in a profession where the wilder you look, the better. That's not the case when it comes to police officers. They want someone who is aesthetically pleasing that people feel safe patrolling their streets. Not that it's right, but a lot of people might find it unnerving to see someone with dreadlocks, long hair, a mohawk, tattoos all over their body, multiple body piercings, or what have you in a police uniform.

Old 07-25-2000, 11:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Hey, I just noticed I graduated to Senior status!
Old 07-25-2000, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tickledpink
I also work in a corporate atmosphere & I have seen coworkers as well as supervisors that have locs & braids and I think they look very professional (as for me -- I'm going with cornrows as soon as I can find a good braider). As far as the policeman is concerned, I am torn. I happen to think that well kept locs are very aesthetically pleasing. However, I can understand why the police force would want to be uniformed as far as hairstyle is concerned, and I do not believe it is a race issue. If they were to change their policy, then that would open the door for more than just locs (i.e. people with multicolored hairdo's, 1/2 shaved heads, pierced noses...). Yes, someone with locs can look very professional, and having locs does not impact one's ability to perform a job, but at what point would the line be drawn in permitting other hairstyles? I understand that this brother is saying that this is part of his religion, but someone else may be able to present the same argument.