GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 828
0 members and 828 guests
No Members online

Old 12-27-2001, 02:41 AM
GreekChat Member

robbed

What a night. I guess you can call me a statistic tonight. I am in a pretty bad mood. I left my family to come home to St. Louis to go out with one of my best friends downtown. I was so excited to go out. After meeting her up at work and getting in her car, we leave to go get gas. At the gas station, both of us notice a man who looked pretty shady staring over at us, we however both agree that we shouldn't be so judgemental. As she comes back from prepaying for gas and putting the pump in the car, she is sitting half in and out of her car and I am in the passengers seat. This man who we had noticed before pulls open the passenger door where I am, looks at me and says "give me your purse or I'll pop you." He grabs my friends purse in the cars console and again looks at me wanting my purse, which is a small black knit coin purse wrapped around my shoulder. I tell him no, because theres no way I am able to get my purse off of me. I yell at my friend to call 911, and the thug runs off. I am sitting her, four hours after it happened replaying the event over and over in my mind. We called the cops and filed a complaint. But were both safe and there was some humor in it. I was talking with my friend right after it happened trying to see what type of cards or checks she had, and the first thing that popped out of her mouth was "Damn, my makeup!" So she also is happy that she still has her cell phone and a state id and a car full o gas. So we went to the club, but it was no where near fun and I am still in shock I think. Bottom line: Please lock you car wherever you go. And it makes me think twice about wanting to by a handbag that costs hundreds of dollars. I like my dinky little coin purse. Okay, I am better now.

(Other stories about crime are relavent in this thread too!)
Old 12-27-2001, 02:54 AM
Banned

Re: robbed

Well, I am glad that you and your friend are okay.
What part of St. Louis were you all in?
Kingshighway? Grand? Central West End?
Quote:
Originally posted by alphachiohmy

(Other stories about crime are relavent in this thread too!)
Some crackhead bastard tried to break into my house recently!

Last edited by curiouss; 12-27-2001 at 02:57 AM.
Old 12-27-2001, 03:03 AM

Thank goodness your assailant wasn't really intent on getting your purse. You were fortunate. Some "people" can be much more violent. I'm glad this turned out no worse than it did for you.
Old 12-27-2001, 03:18 AM

Exclamation Thank goodness you were left physically unharmed!

Quote:
Originally posted by alphachiohmy
At the gas station, both of us notice a man who looked pretty shady staring over at us, we however both agree that we shouldn't be so judgemental.
alphachiohmy: I am very relieved that you and your friend were not beaten up, raped or murdered. Be grateful that you were left unharmed.

I've taken a number of self-defence courses and one thing that stands out to me is that you and your friend dismissed the very warnings that your instincts were giving you!

Please people, if your instincts are giving you that heeby-jeeby feeling, listen to your instincts. Who cares if you feel foolish? Do you want to stick around to find out or prove to yourself that your instincts were warning you for a very good reason?

One of the best courses that I ever took was "Model Mugging", and I would highly recommend it to all the women (and even men) out there as one of the best things I ever did for myself!
Old 12-27-2001, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with Cutie Pie 2000. You should ALWAYS trust your instincts. I am glad that you are both ok, thank God. It could have been worse. If it comes down to it, you NEVER argue with the assailant. That just makes it worse.
Old 12-27-2001, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Serenity

Glad you're safe!
Old 12-27-2001, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I am so glad you and your friend are safe - I am also proud of you for yelling! In the self defense classes I have been in, the first thing you are supposed to do in any situation in a PUBLIC place is YELL - Yell loud, use vulgar language...it catches them off guard and usually they will run away, like in your case. All though I know he didnt try to take you away from the situation, this is good advice to everyone. If you are ever in the position where someone wants to take you away from the place you are in - do everything in your power to get away - scream, fight, anything to draw attention to yourself and get the people around you to notice. Most likely they will leave you alone, because they dont want to shoot someone right there in public...and besides think of it this way...you dont want to be taken away because your chances of escaping then, unharmed or even alive are very slim. Again, I am so glad you both are safe!!!

Last edited by volgirl2376; 12-27-2001 at 08:41 PM.
Old 12-27-2001, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I am very glad you are OK. Remember material objects can be replaced, people can't.
Old 12-27-2001, 08:14 PM
GreekChat Member

AlphaChiohmy, I am very happy that you are okay, that your friend is okay and that no one got hurt during your encounter. As Aphigal said, it is important to remember that material objects can be replaced while human life cannot.

I have to get on my little soap box now, and remind you, and all other GC'ers that while yelling is a good thing, you should ALWAYS comply with robbers. In your situation it might have been difficult to get your purse off of your body, but telling a robber "no" is the best way to get yourself killed.

This story struck very close to home for me. About a year and a half ago, someone tried to carjack one of my friends when she was driving alone at night. She was able to step on the accelerator and run the red light she was at to get away and was okay. When she called to talk to me about what had happened, we had a long talk about how unsafe it is to drive with your windows down at night and the need to lock your doors.

My friend was a little stubborn, as am I, and she was very care free while I, having worked at the DA's office for several years, am a little conservative on safety issues.

Three months after we had the conversation, that same friend went to pick up some other friends (the driver had too much to drink) at the club we always used to hang out at, and they stopped by another friend's house to see if he could drive the other car home. He didn't answer his phone so they were sitting out in front trying to figure out what to do next. My friend had her window down a bit. A car pulled up behind them and someone got out of the passenger seat. They didn't really think much of it at the time. A young woman went up to my friend's window and pulled a gun and said "Give me your money." All three young women complied and were trying to talk to the woman and calm her down. They told her they would give her everything that they had and that there was no need for the gun or to hurt anyone. My friend was reaching for her purse and the woman shot her in the back of the head.

After something so tragic happens, it is really easy to say things like, "if only they had done this," or "if only they had done that." In all truth, none of it probably would have made any difference, or that's what I always tell myself to get out of one of those funks.

I sat through the preliminary hearing (in California we usually plead by information rather than indictment) a few months ago. It turns out that the woman who killed my friend and the man who drove the car had been on a robbery spree the whole night. They had enough evidence to charge them with three robberies other than the one where my friend was murdered. The police believe that they may have committed several more. What's really interesting though, is that every one of their victims had their windows down a bit, and the defendants used the cracked windows to get their gun in close to the victims' heads. It really made me stop and think about just how dangerous driving with your windows down or your doors unlocked is.
Old 12-27-2001, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

AlphaChiOhMy, let me echo everyone's sentiments and tell you how happy I am that you are safe! This could have turned out much worse and I am thankful it didn't. Thanks your sharing your story.

LauraDav - I'm very sorry about what happened to your friend. I hope her attackers were punished to the full extent of the law for what they did to her and to all those who cared about her. Thank you, too, for a wake up call.
Old 12-28-2001, 02:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for all of your kind words. I know that I should have trusted my instincts and we should have had the doors locked. There are alot of should've, couldve and would'ves. I really don't have much else to say about the ordeal, but that I do want to look in to going to a self-defense class myself.

Please keep safe this holiday season and always!
Old 12-28-2001, 01:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to Sue_XO Send a message via Yahoo to Sue_XO
I'm glad you are o.k. too!

My parent's house got robbed and I hate to say but I always have felt my ex-roommate did it. We had gotten into a huge fight because she was stealing my clothes so I moved out of the apartment back home to my parents.

A month later- my house is robbed but my room was the only room touched! A lap top was on my sister's desk- in plain view- and not taken.

The worse part was they stole my grandmother's sorority pin. So- needless to say, I invest in a safe deposit box. I don't wear any jewelry except my wedding ring - it is all in the safe!

Again, I'm so thankful you and your friend are safe!
Old 12-28-2001, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Dear Sister AlphaChiOhMy -- I am so glad that you are safe -- my hubby calls me paranoid because my doors are locked morning, noon, and night. Whether I'm in the car or sitting around at home -- its just not worth it when a locked door could buy you a few extra seconds. God Bless!

Lauradav - I am so sorry for your loss - that is a terrible thing to go through to say the least, and I am glad that you are able to use such a tragedy to help others. God Bless!
Old 12-28-2001, 04:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dzsaigirl
Always always ALWAYS give them your purse. Give them what they want so that they don't have to take it and you don't piss them off and make them want to hurt you.

Yeah, and gas stations are bad places too, my gas card got stolen there! The people charged 400 bucks before I could cancel it!
Old 12-29-2001, 01:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SigmaChiCard Send a message via Skype™ to SigmaChiCard
Alphachiohmy

I woud have been abslutely pissed had you let something happen to you! No more of this missy! hehe. Nah, I'm glad you could make liht of it, that the assailant was no more determind, and had just mistakenly figured he'd picked easy targets. Glad to see he was wrong..

Glad to see you're doing well

Visit: BackSeat SandBar & MySpace