GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,386
2 members and 2,384 guests
navane

Old 06-02-2010, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

This may sound dumb, but we didn't have NPHC where I went to school, so what I know about those orgs is limited to what I learn here on GC. What exactly is a "probate?"
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-02-2010, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrLaf-pjaBs <---- the audio is not the best, but you get the gist.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
What say you, NPCers?
I believe that our new member period is about education and dedication. I don't see "hard work" as a goal of our organizations. Striving to be the best person you can be, especially in the areas of scholarship, leadership and philanthropy, yes.. but, that doesn't have to be "hard work". We are, first and foremost, social organizations based on sisterhood.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Holy... why have I never before seen the "Similar threads" box at the bottom of the pages???? I'm so oblivious sometimes...

Thanks for the links!
Old 06-02-2010, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

The closest thing that I can think of in the NPC world is formal bid. Apparently it was a big tradition at my school a few years ago. From what I've gathered, it's a night that is chosen somewhat into the new member period in which a sorority brings their new member class to a fraternity house to formally announce their new women. Then typically the new member class's bigs watch over them for the night. So... not very much like what I can gather about a probate at all, but again, the NPC and the NPHC operate so differently that that's not really a surprise.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
I believe that our new member period is about education and dedication. I don't see "hard work" as a goal of our organizations. Striving to be the best person you can be, especially in the areas of scholarship, leadership and philanthropy, yes.. but, that doesn't have to be "hard work". We are, first and foremost, social organizations based on sisterhood.
Thanks for the insight. Some would characterize what you describe as "hard work" so I guess it could be a matter of semantics.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
Holy... why have I never before seen the "Similar threads" box at the bottom of the pages???? I'm so oblivious sometimes...

Thanks for the links!
LOL. It is alllllll the way at the bottom so it's easily overlooked. I found it by accident a long time ago.

There are a lot of coming out shows on youtube for all of the NPHC orgs. You don't have to watch them all to get the gist of the basic format. Some shows are better than others, but the dedication and love for the organization is what coming out shows are to exude.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

Probate is the name for the procedure the courts use to oversee the administration of the estates of the deceased. It's loads of fun.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 06-02-2010, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
What say you, NPCers?
thanks for the invite; I'm learning something new this evening. When I first saw "probates", I thought of something entirely different and not nearly as pleasant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
As far as "presents" goes for NPCs, that is primarily a west coast thing. I have seen very few schools outside of CA, WA, etc. having them. After you are initiated, there is a very formal reception for you and your parents where you are "presented" to the rest of the chapter. It's cute.

Probates should be left to the NPHCs, you know, since we would just be jacking their swag. It originated with them, let's leave it there.

I personally don't get why some chapters are so eager to attempt what NPHC orgs do tradition-wise. Most of what NPC orgs take from NPHCs tends to just look dumb when they attempt it, not like you're paying homage at all. lol.
I belonged to a West Coast chapter; we had "pledge presents" where we wore white dresses, our parents came, and we were "introduced" to the Greek community. This, interestingly, was BEFORE initiation. I believe ellebud wrote about something similar occurring at her daughter's school fall '09, and I recall pictures of the Tri Delta house, particularly, that were in that thread.

agree with the remainder of KSUViolet06's post.

Quote:
Thanks for the insight. Some would characterize what you describe as "hard work" so I guess it could be a matter of semantics.
I have a very good friend and colleague who is a DST; although we don't talk specifics regarding recruitment or membership, I will say that she is WAY more involved with community than most NPC alums that I know, including me, and it's primarily sorority-based philanthropic work. This isn't to say that there aren't NPC women who are involved. The contrast is that her involvement is closely tied to her membership and sisterhood.

Much of what AGDee wrote is true of my own pledging/new member period. Many NPC organizations were founded during a time when women were in the minority on college and university campuses; scholarship was also a founding principle, in addition to sisterhood and social organization purposes.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 06-02-2010, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

It has been so long that I didn't really remember this until reading this thread but we did have a night called Pledge Presentation the day after Bid Night where all the Panhellenic groups got together in the ballroom of the student union and each "pledge"(that's what we were then, so that's the term I will use here) had her name read aloud. Then each sorority sang a few of their sorority songs for the others (as a whole, not just the pledges) and Panhellenic as a whole sang the Greek alphabet song. Funny that I'd forgotten all about it until just now. It was mainly a way to see who went to which chapter. I don't know if they still do that on my old campus or not.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I just watched a bunch of Probate/Coming Outs on youtube... damn impressive!!!!! While I love it, and can appreciate the togetherness those sisters have... I do not think it's something NPC group should try to imitate, I think it would be insulting to the NPHC. But I am WOWED!
Old 06-02-2010, 11:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
thanks for the invite; I'm learning something new this evening. When I first saw "probates", I thought of something entirely different and not nearly as pleasant.
*whispering* Most of us weren't supposed to be in this thread, anyway.

Depending on what you thought of, you may not be too off base. You have me curious. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
I have a very good friend and colleague who is a DST; although we don't talk specifics regarding recruitment or membership, I will say that she is WAY more involved with community than most NPC alums that I know, including me, and it's primarily sorority-based philanthropic work. This isn't to say that there aren't NPC women who are involved. The contrast is that her involvement is closely tied to her membership and sisterhood.

Much of what AGDee wrote is true of my own pledging/new member period. Many NPC organizations were founded during a time when women were in the minority on college and university campuses; scholarship was also a founding principle, in addition to sisterhood and social organization purposes.
Yes, we stress being financial and active at some level until the day we die.

I may be missing what you're saying, so pardon me if I am:
I understand the NPC founding contexts and purposes. It seems that would be even more reason to stress the lifelong involvement. There are similarities and differences between the NPHC and NPC founding contexts and purposes. We all stress scholarship, empowerment, address minority status, sisterhood, social, and service. But, it's about more than our founding principles and purposes. Not every NPHC org was founded at an HBCU and we were founded by Black men and women in the early 1900s and Civil Rights Era. We were minorities on campus and/or in society. Our relevance continues 47-104 years later and we stress duly initiated members' role in doing so long after initiation.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ very well said, DrPhil. Thank you. uh-huh, yep, indeed. You are speaking my thoughts and I appreciate it. (maybe I should quote it?)

(not gonna talk about what I thought when I saw probates *blush*)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 06-02-2010, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Probate is the name for the procedure the courts use to oversee the administration of the estates of the deceased. It's loads of fun.
HAHA! this made me laugh.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
As far as "presents" goes for NPCs, that is primarily a west coast thing. I have seen very few schools outside of CA, WA, etc. having them. After you are initiated, there is a very formal reception for you and your parents where you are "presented" to the rest of the chapter. It's cute.

Probates should be left to the NPHCs, you know, since we would just be jacking their swag. It originated with them, let's leave it there.

I personally don't get why some chapters are so eager to attempt what NPHC orgs do tradition-wise. Most of what NPC orgs take from NPHCs tends to just look dumb when they attempt it, not like you're paying homage at all. lol.
Especially since probating comes from our former pledge tradition and history. Much of what you see is a reflection of our former pledge process, so if you have no clue as to what was involved, you can't truly appreciate the probate. Now coming out shows (true coming out shows) are a different story although still a reflection of our pledge history.

Last edited by rhoyaltempest; 06-03-2010 at 12:06 AM. Reason: to clarify