GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,143
0 members and 1,143 guests
No Members online

Old 11-13-2017, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Are extension students allowed to affiliate/participate in greek life?

Asking about a student who is going from one school where she was a full time student in good standing with her chapter to another school where she will be an extension student (taking 3 or 4 on-campus classes per semester) for the next 2 semesters.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-13-2017, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you mean "guest student?" I'm familiar with that term, but not extension student.

If there is a chapter of her sorority at the other campus, she should check directly with her organization to see what her sorority's policies are.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
Do you mean "guest student?" I'm familiar with that term, but not extension student.

If there is a chapter of her sorority at the other campus, she should check directly with her organization to see what her sorority's policies are.
I told her to do that but am wondering in general with my question here. Ladies? Any experience on this? Extension student is a student signed up to take classes but did not go through the admit process (due to a missed deadline or whatever).
Old 11-14-2017, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbell1 View Post
I told her to do that but am wondering in general with my question here. Ladies? Any experience on this? Extension student is a student signed up to take classes but did not go through the admit process (due to a missed deadline or whatever).
Without knowing much about extension students (I've never heard the term in my admittedly short time in higher ed), generally a student has to be matriculated full-time at a university to be a member of that chapter. I suppose it would depend on how the university defines a matriculated student, but based on your description of a student who didn't go through the admissions process I would lean towards not fully matriculated and therefore not eligible to affiliate with a chapter. Put another way, if the woman could not sign up for recruitment at this university I don't think she could affiliate with a chapter there either.

edit: Googling says that extension programs are usually for continuing education adults and not for credit, but I'm guessing that's different than what this student is doing?
Old 11-14-2017, 04:45 PM
GreekChat Member

She really should talk with her own group, because every sorority is different as far as affiliation procedures, and returning to her original chapter/school next year complicates the matter more. She would need to work through her own group on any affiliation process or return to active status at the original chapter anyway, so she should contact the necessary "authorities" in her own sorority. Random guesses or answers from members of other groups could be completely different from her what her sorority does.

I've been a university professor for 16 years, and I've never heard the term extension student -- guest student and non-degree seeking student -- but never extension student. If she's "full time" she may still qualify for affiliation, but I still go back to talking with her own group because of the plans to go back to the original chapter. This situation seems quite individualized, so she should get the correct facts and procedures right from her group.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
Without knowing much about extension students (I've never heard the term in my admittedly short time in higher ed), generally a student has to be matriculated full-time at a university to be a member of that chapter. I suppose it would depend on how the university defines a matriculated student, but based on your description of a student who didn't go through the admissions process I would lean towards not fully matriculated and therefore not eligible to affiliate with a chapter. Put another way, if the woman could not sign up for recruitment at this university I don't think she could affiliate with a chapter there either.

edit: Googling says that extension programs are usually for continuing education adults and not for credit, but I'm guessing that's different than what this student is doing?
I'm thinking there's some wiggle room in that full-time matriculation requirement -- at least with some sororities. Texas A&M sororities have members who are part of what's known as the Blinn Team. This is a program where students who weren't able to gain immediate admission to TAMU are able to attend Blinn College (a local junior college) full-time and take one class at TAMU with the goal of maintaining a high enough college GPA to later gain full-time admission to TAMU. I believe UT also has a similar program with the local community college.

As others have said though, the sorority's international/national headquarters would be the best authority on this situation.