GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,274
1 members and 1,273 guests
znathanhulzeo24

Old 09-23-2017, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
ETA: QueenD - what is a "fish chair"? I assume it does not have to do with actual fish.
hey 33 I went and looked, I bet it's a typo and it's supposed to be "rush chair".
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 09-23-2017, 11:17 AM

Well I know ZTA has something they call "FRED" so you never know.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Some schools, like TAMU, refer to their freshmen as Fish.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

FRED = FRaternity EDucation. Nothing fishy about that. ��
Old 09-23-2017, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDG View Post
Momoffour, I mean this gently and sincerely: you already had the experience of choosing your sorority and navigating your own collegiate and alumnae sorority experience.

Please allow your daughter the freedom to do the same. She selected this chapter and is thrilled to be a member. Her recruitment was just what we all dream of - a pnm who actually followed her heart instead of being swayed by campus gossip or family pressure. She may not have taken the path you wished for but it's not your role to "fix" the chapter. It's your role to love and support your daughter, and by support I mean be a sounding board should she come to you for advice. It's clear to me through your posts that you're disappointed with her choice and fearful for her sorority experience...I'm just a stranger on the internet so I can't imagine that your daughter hasn't picked up on the same vibes from you.
Yes! It's her sorority, her choice, her sisters, and her collegiate experience.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momoffour View Post
My daughter went through rush and pledged the chapter where she felt most comfortable. She is very happy with her new sisters and is looking forward to becoming a member. When going through rush, she knew that her chapter wasn't considered the popular group on campus, but that didn't matter to her because she really loved the girls that she had met.
I went through informal rush. I knew the minute I walked in the DDD house I was home. I liked the girls and felt so comfortable there. It was a chapter that struggled, improved, and then closed after I graduated.

If you gave me a do-over knowing everything I do now, I WOULD STILL CHOOSE THE SAME CHAPTER. Yes, even though it closed and has not reopened. I found my people and I'm still friends with them to this day, interacting on FB with several of them daily.

Please, please, please let it go and let your daughter enjoy her choice. You owe her that as her mom.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

"Please, please, please let it go and let your daughter enjoy her choice. You owe her that as her mom".

That is excellent advice! Not every legacy feels comfortable with the girls in Mom's GLO.
Why join if they do not click? Better to be happy than miserable isn't it?
As an example, one of my low # Brothers son joined an arch rival right across the street, S P E. He never looked back and was happy with his decesion.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-20-2017, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I know I'm a month late to this, and I didn't read any of the comments, but I was once part of a struggling chapter where half of each new member class would drop. They/we also let everybody join and weren't picky about it. During my junior year, we all got together and decided we needed to be more picky for the future of our chapter.
So the next formal recruitment, we only gave bids to SEVEN girls we really liked instead of 30 random girls. And you know what? None of them dropped!!
It really helped us and the chapter grew slowly year by year. I creep on them now and they are at full capacity. They're a "popular" sorority on campus now.
When I was there, we were required to live in the house for two years just to fill the rooms. Now, they have so many girls wanting to live in, they don't have that two-year requirement anymore.