GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,419
0 members and 1,419 guests
No Members online

Old 02-27-2012, 01:23 AM
GreekChat Member

venting

I haven’t posted in awhile, but that’s because I’ve been busy with school work and sorority stuff. However, someone said something the other day that I can’t get out my head and since I’m a non-confrontational person I figured I’d say it here.

They claimed because I am in a local sorority, my sorority isn’t real. I’m sorry, but how is that true? Just because in 1969 we broke away from our national organization, doesn’t mean we’re not real. We have a deeply meaningful and moving ritual. We have amazing bonds. We’re also the strongest house on our campus. We were the only house close to total before panhel decided to lower total. In fact, our national has tried to have us re-affiliate many times over the past decades, but we have chosen not to because we love our ritual and sisterhood so much, we couldn’t bear to give it up. I think that shows how much of a “real sorority” we are. In fact, I think that your comment stems from jealousy. We are an amazing group of incredible and influential women. Our sisters are involved in so many different organizations and honorary societies and our alums are amazing women who have accomplished so much. During an alumnae weekend we had this past October, I had the fortune to talk to a group of alums. One alum graduated in 1963 and still called me her sister despite the fact she was technically a XY alum. It was amazing talking to all of them because despite the age differences it was wholly clear that we all had the same feisty spirit. One of the alums graduated in 1970 and talked about how heartbreaking it was to break away from our national, but it was something the sisters felt they had to do because they disagreed so with the membership policies. I don’t want to point fingers or call names, so I won’t disclose the national organization we broke away from since I do have immense respect and admiration for the organization. I just disagree with how they handled things 43 years ago. I am so proud to be a sister of XYZ. Even though the total number of sisters past and present is smaller than a national organization, I believe we still have the same amount of heart and strength as one, so don’t you dare tell me I don’t belong to a real sorority.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-27-2012, 08:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Wait. What?
Old 02-27-2012, 08:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
Wait. What?
I think: The above is what she wished she could say to the person who told her recently her sorority was not "real".
Old 02-27-2012, 08:57 AM
GreekChat Member

yup. That's what I wanted to say to her, but didn't.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:08 AM
GreekChat Member

I will admit to thinking the above about some locals because so many girls come on here all sour grapes about a bad rush and want to start a new local. However, I have been on GC long enough to learn there are some campuses that have very strong traditions in their locals AND the lifelong sisterhood we commonly associate with the inter/national sororities.

It's probably best that you vented it here because you probably wouldn't have accomplished anything by vomiting that out to the person who doesn't know the facts. Don't let the doubters get you down!
Old 02-27-2012, 09:53 PM

If you are where I think you are, and in the group I think you're in, you have NOTHING to explain to anyone, except maybe explaining to the person who said this why they are an idiot.

Some people just think Greek life that is ANYTHING different than theirs can't be real. As in, I must not have been in a real sorority because our house wasn't a mansion....or because we only had 50 members...or because my sorority doesn't have a chapter at their school...blah blah blah.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:05 AM

Don't be offended. I've had people call mine "fake" because there weren't any chapters in their state and they'd never heard of us. I've also heard it called "fake" because "there's no chapter of it at *insert SEC school here.*"

Not everyone has the chance to get out of the Greek Life bubble of their own school.

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Not everyone has the chance to get out of the Greek Life bubble of their own school.
Or the Greek life bubble of their council.