GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,199
3 members and 1,196 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 10-28-2008, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

All Semester Rush

Hey all,

I am a new member at GC. I am a founding father of Sigma Pi at Georgia Tech and since we are a colony, we can recruit all semester long. Me and my brothers are having a hard time finding potential members because Georgia Tech is a medium sized school with more than 30 well established fraternities on campus. Currently we have about 37 members and we need to recruit 20 more guys in order to charter. Since some of you are experienced greeks, would you give me some advice on the type of rush events that could attract more prespectives.

Kairav

FOUNDING FATHER
SIGMA PI
GEORGIA TECH COLONY est. 2007
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-28-2008, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

First, ask yourself a few questions:
1.) What differentiates us from the other fraternities on campus?
2.) What kind of members are we looking for?
3.) What do college students like to do?
4.) What attracts students to organizations?

1.) Plan an activity that is different from what the other chapters are doing. Or, if you notice something that they’re doing right, work with that, but add your own personal touches to it.

2.) Are you looking for guys who are service-oriented? Plan a philanthropy that all students on campus can participate in. Do you want guys who strive for academic excellence? Offer study groups, or head to the library and strike up a conversation with a student who is working there. Are you looking for people who are interested in sports? Start an intramural team with the members you have, and interact with the other teams that you play against. Or ask some potential new members to join your team. Or play a pick-up game of football, and have everyone go around campus for 10-20 minutes asking guys to join you.

3.) You’re trying to appeal to college students. Think about what they like to do. I can tell you that one thing that guys love to do is eat. On my campus, one of the fraternities has a spaghetti dinner every semester, and all students are welcome, girls included. They have it on a Sunday, and in the fall semseter, it usually turns into a casual dinner/football party.

4.) Students are attracted to organizations for many reasons. Leadership opportunities are a major one, along with assistance in advancing their future careers. When a student is looking to join an organization, they’re looking for involvement and activities to keep them busy in between classes, as well as a way to increase their knowledge and experience in a variety of areas. Have an informational session throughout an entire day, scheduling 3 or 4 different times to have a short 10-15 minute presentation by a few of the brothers. Present to potential new members what your organization does, the benefits that are available to new members and brothers, and the life-long connections they will make that will last long after college.

And use the fact that you’re new to your advantage. Like I just mentioned, leadership opportunities are a big plus to joining an organization, and starting a chapter provides a lot of room for growth, and for a myriad of new ideas. Go find the high-quality students who are looking to have a large impact on an organization, and present the idea of Sigma Pi to them by saying that their motivation, creativity, and willingness to create something great is exactly what you’re looking for.

And first and foremost, be a potential new member’s friend. Don’t feel like you have to hold huge, extravagant events to attract people. If you currently have the manpower and money to do that, then go for it if you think it will work. But chances are, if you play a friendly game of football, for example, it will probably be a more effective way of interacting with people on a more personal basis, than if you were, to say, host a large concert.

@~/~~~~
Old 10-28-2008, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for your help. We are doing most of the stuff that you mentioned in your post. The problem for us us that people who wanted to be greek, have already joined greek organizations on campus. We are having a hard time convincing the non-greek personality guys to join Sigma Pi. But I shall keep in mind stuff that you said.

FOUNDING FATHER
SIGMA PI
Old 10-28-2008, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairav View Post
Thank you for your help. We are doing most of the stuff that you mentioned in your post. The problem for us us that people who wanted to be greek, have already joined greek organizations on campus. We are having a hard time convincing the non-greek personality guys to join Sigma Pi. But I shall keep in mind stuff that you said.
Not everyone who wanted to go greek did. That's why there is such a thing as spring rush basically everywhere, because not everyone that wanted a bid got one or even rushed. And don't try to convince the "non-greek personality guys" to join, or else you'll have to wait for all of those tool-bags to graduate before any "greek personality guys" will even think about joining.

At least that's my opinion, I'm in an established house and we rush on reputation so I don't have any first hand experience, but I would think that if you're just taking random losers to get numbers than you're going to have a hard time convincing good kids to join in the future, because they aren't the kind of kids that would want to hang out with your "numbers" pledges.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerBarrel View Post
Not everyone who wanted to go greek did.
True statement.

You MIGHT be able to say, "Everyone truly interested in Greek life has already rushed this semester," but I guarantee there are still guys out there who will be very good for your chapter. Honestly, some guys might have rushed but didn't receive bids from other fraternities, but they're still looking to be Greek. And that doesn't mean that they're all "losers" or that they shouldn't be Greek. It might just mean that they didn't fit in with a particular chapter, but that they'll fit in with yours.

And I know that I wasn't all about going Greek before I joined my chapter. The key is presenting to people what you're all about, because there could be many guys who simply have no clue as to what Greek organizations do. They didn't rush because they didn't know what they'd be rushing to do. Hence the reason why I said you should "make friends first." See what each potential member can offer your organization. After you've made nice with some great guys, having them join the fraternity will follow.

@~/~~~~
Old 10-28-2008, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerBarrel View Post
Not everyone who wanted to go greek did. That's why there is such a thing as spring rush basically everywhere, because not everyone that wanted a bid got one or even rushed. And don't try to convince the "non-greek personality guys" to join, or else you'll have to wait for all of those tool-bags to graduate before any "greek personality guys" will even think about joining.

At least that's my opinion, I'm in an established house and we rush on reputation so I don't have any first hand experience, but I would think that if you're just taking random losers to get numbers than you're going to have a hard time convincing good kids to join in the future, because they aren't the kind of kids that would want to hang out with your "numbers" pledges.
Ditto. I have a hard time buying that everyone that wanted a bid at Georgia Tech received one this past fall. It sounds like you have about 2/3rds of your memebership in place and you are just what, 2/3rds of the way through the fall semester? I will bet that you will be able to find the other 20 guys before the end of spring semester and then participate in recruitment with the rest of the university next scholastic year. It's tough work but don't get discouraged so soon.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:26 PM
GreekChat Member

We are not taking in people just to reach our chartering number quota. We started out with 9 and now, a year later, we are 36. Its our third semester recruiting and we are very careful of who we let in because they are going to represent the fraternity and build its core foundations for years to come. We do not want to start off with a 'losers' rep.

FOUNDING FATHER
SIGMA PI
Old 10-28-2008, 09:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOEforme View Post
We do our informal rush after the sororities on our campus do formal rush.

Yeah, I know sorority rush and fraternity rush are different but here are some things we do that help:

*Advertise EVERYWHERE.
*We really work on our image: we wear letters out as much as possible, especially to class, All-Greek, events, philanthropies, etc.
* Go for your non-Greek friends that you think would make a great addition or people you've meet through classes. Invite them to check out what you're doing.
*Advertise (like ASTalumna06 said) what makes you different. There are people who may want to be Greek, but just don't like the current system and love to see something different.

Good luck!
Thank you for your comments. Yeah, we put up flyers every week and hold info sessions too. The only problem for us is that we function on a very tight budget since we are saving money for chartering which costs a lot. We try our level best but the response is not that great.

FOUNDING FATHER
SIGMA PI
Old 10-28-2008, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

you've gotten some good advice thus far- you want to be careful with your advertising. Since you're about 2/3 of the way there numbers-wise, you're going to attract far more random weirdos with a bunch of flyer then you are if you have guys casually rushing the family friends and acquaintances they see as a good fit.
Also, the most important question of all has yet to be asked- is this you?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLAvhE4a_hI
Old 10-28-2008, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabella View Post
you've gotten some good advice thus far- you want to be careful with your advertising. Since you're about 2/3 of the way there numbers-wise, you're going to attract far more random weirdos with a bunch of flyer then you are if you have guys casually rushing the family friends and acquaintances they see as a good fit.
Also, the most important question of all has yet to be asked- is this you?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLAvhE4a_hI
We have had mixers and semi formals with a bunch of sororities. None of us have any problems with the infamous Tech ratio.

FOUNDING FATHER
SIGMA PI
Old 10-28-2008, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: somewhere in an area where we usually get all four seasons :)
Send a message via AIM to sceniczip
my boyfriend is a founding father of his fraternity at Ohio State and he said that he probably would have not have joined a fraternity if the option of being a founding father had not been available. He's not a typical fraternity guy but he liked the idea of being able to start something new, well a new chapter at least. So just because a guy might not seem like the fraternity type he might be just what you're looking for If any of your brothers are involved in other student organizations see if they can get one or two of the guys in that organization to come to an event. Talk to different guys in your class too, especially ones that you notice seem to be smart and level-headed. My sorority just did a social where we each tried to bring one non-greek affiliated girl so maybe you could do something like that. Really kind of play up the fact that these guys would have a chance to be a part of building the fraternity, instead of being part of one that's been around on campus for a long time. That might really interest some of the guys. Good luck!
Old 10-29-2008, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

As ASTalumna pointed out, try to cater to what college aged guys like and have lots of that

Make rush one big party, guys, especially freshmen guys, are looking to party. Buy lots of beer, lots of whiskey, have lots of food, and lots of girls around. If you take that advice, you will pull in decent guys, I promise.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by magichat View Post
As ASTalumna pointed out, try to cater to what college aged guys like and have lots of that

Make rush one big party, guys, especially freshmen guys, are looking to party. Buy lots of beer, lots of whiskey, have lots of food, and lots of girls around. If you take that advice, you will pull in decent guys, I promise.
We do not have a house, so having a decent party is kinda tough. We are however planning a big Halloween party with Delta Sigma Phi. That should help our publicity on campus. I am trying to get as many non greek guys out there as possible.

FOUNDING FATHER
SIGMA PI
Old 10-29-2008, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

[quote=AOEforme;1736854]*Advertise EVERYWHERE.
*We really work on our image: we wear letters out as much as possible, especially to class, All-Greek, events, philanthropies, etc.[quote]

Also, instead of just wearing letters, designate a certain day of the week, every week, to have all of your guys dress up and wear your badge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairav View Post
We do not have a house, so having a decent party is kinda tough.
Parties are always great, but they might not be bringing in all the guys that you want.

One of the fraternities at my school, even though they have a house, still host some parties on campus (as the few fraternity houses that exist are at least a 5 minute drive away). They reserve a large room on campus which is usually used for formal dinners, guest speakers, large events and/or presentations, and they use it for a recruitment event. They open it to all students, and on a HUGE projector screen, they show a Monday night football game. And this year they held a raffle at the event and the winner received a Steelers jersey. They do the same thing in the spring but they have people sign up, and they have a video game challenge. They offer free food at both events, and they have it all funded by the school because the event is open to all students.

And I know that people have said to advertise, but sometimes NOT advertising for your organization will work to your benefit. For some, seeing a poster that says “Rush Sigma Pi” will push them away. But if you hosted an event like the one I just mentioned, and a poster said, “Come watch Monday night football in the Student Union on the big screen! Free food! $1 raffle for a Steelers jersey!” students who THINK that they’re not interested in Greek life will still show up. And once they see that you’re not as bad as they originally thought, you might be able to talk them into coming to another event.

@~/~~~~
Old 10-29-2008, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

[quote=ASTalumna06;1737259][quote=AOEforme;1736854]*Advertise EVERYWHERE.
*We really work on our image: we wear letters out as much as possible, especially to class, All-Greek, events, philanthropies, etc.
Quote:

Also, instead of just wearing letters, designate a certain day of the week, every week, to have all of your guys dress up and wear your badge.

Parties are always great, but they might not be bringing in all the guys that you want.

One of the fraternities at my school, even though they have a house, still host some parties on campus (as the few fraternity houses that exist are at least a 5 minute drive away). They reserve a large room on campus which is usually used for formal dinners, guest speakers, large events and/or presentations, and they use it for a recruitment event. They open it to all students, and on a HUGE projector screen, they show a Monday night football game. And this year they held a raffle at the event and the winner received a Steelers jersey. They do the same thing in the spring but they have people sign up, and they have a video game challenge. They offer free food at both events, and they have it all funded by the school because the event is open to all students.

And I know that people have said to advertise, but sometimes NOT advertising for your organization will work to your benefit. For some, seeing a poster that says “Rush Sigma Pi” will push them away. But if you hosted an event like the one I just mentioned, and a poster said, “Come watch Monday night football in the Student Union on the big screen! Free food! $1 raffle for a Steelers jersey!” students who THINK that they’re not interested in Greek life will still show up. And once they see that you’re not as bad as they originally thought, you might be able to talk them into coming to another event.
The Monday night football is a great idea. I will bring up a few points you guys told me in chapter. We were also thinking about calling a famous Atlanta band to perform in the student commons area.

FOUNDING FATHER
SIGMA PI