GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,365
0 members and 1,365 guests
No Members online

Old 10-08-2005, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

AI & their role with collegiate chapter

Just wonder what an AI's role with a collegiate chapter is? Is it any different than a traditional alumna/alumnus of a GLO? For example, an alum would usually not participate in chapter activities (such as parties, meetings) after graduation.

Should a AI be actively participating in the collegiate chapter's activities?

Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-08-2005, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm in the housing association and I helped out with recruitment this year.
Old 10-08-2005, 05:17 PM
Unregistered-

Once a member is initiated into Alpha Gamma Delta, she is a member with full privileges and expectations, regardless of what time in her life she joined our organization.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
What OTW said. Also, I personally don't think that alumnae -- regardless of when they were initiated -- should be partying with actives, but I know others feel differently.

In Alpha Phi, an alumna is an alumna, regardless of whether she was initiated as a collegian or as an AI. I'm an AI, and I'm the chapter adviser for one of our chapters in the Pacific Northwest.

Last edited by Sistermadly; 10-13-2005 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, an AI is just like any other alumnae.

And if I'm understanding your last question correctly, no she does not participate in the collegiate chapter's activities (parties, meetings, etc).

She assists the collegiate chapter just like any other alumna, but alumnae are not allowed to actively participate in the regular day to day events.

An AI is a member of the alumnae chapter, not the collegiate chapter.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:56 AM
GreekChat Member

My experience as a new AI has been wonderful, but may be a bit different than some AI's. I have the good fortune of working for the college (Florida Tech) where I am being initiated with the Fall 2005 new member class. A number of the sisters come by my office to say hello and chat and I was asked to attend the new member meetings with the rest of the NM's.

By going to the NM meetings, I have gotten to know them much better than I would have if I were just solely involved with the Alumnae Chapter. It's been through these NM meetings that I have learned more of the history, songs, interworkings of the chapter which in turn has led the sisters to recently ask me to be their campus advisor (each campus organization must have a faculty or staff member for an advisor). I'm thrilled, because not only does it allows me an opportunity to be involved on an alumnae level, but it really gives me a connection to my school where I was once a student, am a current employee and will be a soon initiated Gamma Phi Beta.

It's not like I'm going to start going to their mixers or anything (even at age 33, I do feel old sometimes), but the whole reason I want to be a Gamma Phi is to really celebrate our sisterhood and do as much as I can for them as an AI. My sponsor, Coleen, is the Chapter Advisor for the collegians (she was the former chapter President a number of years back), so it's great that I can learn from her and make her proud for sponsoring me!
Old 10-09-2005, 02:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: AI & their role with collegiate chapter

Quote:
Originally posted by WesternAlumn
Just wonder what an AI's role with a collegiate chapter is? Is it any different than a traditional alumna/alumnus of a GLO? For example, an alum would usually not participate in chapter activities (such as parties, meetings) after graduation.

In Alpha Phi alumnae initiates are able to participate in all alumnae activities as Sistermadley said, but alumnae are not allowed to attend chapter meetings unless they are advisors or they are invited for a specific reason.

Generally speaking, women who are eligible for collegiate membership cannot AI, and women who AI, cannot participate in general collegiate membership activities in the same manner in which collegiates do. Rather, they can provide support, advising, and all the other things that other alumnae do.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:36 PM

Re: AI & their role with collegiate chapter

Quote:
Originally posted by WesternAlumn

Thanks!
So what you're trying to say is...you have an AI who's trying to shove her way into collegiate chapter life?

She obviously AIed for the wrong reason - to have a collegiate experience she didn't get - and you need to call a district director (or whatever they are called in your sorority) and tell her to step off. If the collegians are asking for her presence, that's one thing - but if they don't want her there and she's giving the "I'm a sister and allowed to be here" spiel, that's quite another.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Are girls different than boys? Alumni are pretty welcome to chapter events, unless they are idiots, and even more welcome if they give money . . .

And special initiates are generally not treated differently than people that joined as undergrads, unless they are idiots.

Its not unusual to have alum come to a lot of chapter events 10 plus years post graduation. Its not unusual for some to bring their wives.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by James
Are girls different than boys? Alumni are pretty welcome to chapter events, unless they are idiots, and even more welcome if they give money . . .

And special initiates are generally not treated differently than people that joined as undergrads, unless they are idiots.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by James

Its not unusual to have alum come to a lot of chapter events 10 plus years post graduation. Its not unusual for some to bring their wives.

33girl, not really sure what You last Post was about?

James, maybe there is an actual difference between He and She and the thinking? Who knows?

But as many GLOs dont have AI and since this has gone into Alum area, I can tell all of you that if it were not for Alums, My Chapter would be gone.

While many Active Chapters want to be their own Bosses as it were, if there were NO Alums or Interested AIs, They could get in a lot of Trouble! Right?

While We as Alums dont try to run the day to day, It seems to be the Elders that they come to when In trouble.

I am A LXA and Any Initutiated Member of LXA is My Brother who can be of help when needed

So shunt off AI or Alums and put them in the back ground!:confused

Why? They can be of more usefull help other than poring Punch, serving finger food or washing dishes.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-11-2005, 05:10 PM

I was agreeing with James that girls usually welcome alums unless they are idiots (the same as guys).
Old 10-11-2005, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Works for Me!!!!

Dont You love a plan that comes together!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-11-2005, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dakareng
From the way the original question was worded, my thought was that she was asking if an AI could or should participate in chapter activities in a manner different from an alumni(ae) who initiated as a collegiate. For that, the answer would be 'no'. Certainly *any* alumnae member can visit the house, help service projects, serve as an advisor and be invited to chapter events. That does not mean attending formal or mixers on a regular basis or recruitment events unless in a supportive role. An AI is, above all, alumnae.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for all your feedback. I believe I understand the concept now - that an AI has all the benefits of an alum and should not act like an active member of the collegiate chapter and attend social events, parties, formals, etc. unless all alum are invited by the collegiate chapter.