GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 951
1 members and 950 guests
KDKells

Old 07-17-2002, 01:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Greek Life Producers Contacted My Sorority

Hey everyone. This is my one message that I write once in a blue moon when something strange, yet exciting happens. I was recently contacted by the producers of MTV's Sorority Life. Our President is out of town this summer on vacay, and so our Rush Chair has been the one talking to them (the President does know about this).

Just curious if some of you other locals have been contacted since they apparently are only interested in the local sororities. Also, I haven't seen the show yet, but will today -- what do you think about us or even your org doing this? Would it bring more harm than good?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-17-2002, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

oops --- the heading should read "sorority life producers . . ."
it's a wednesday!
Old 07-17-2002, 01:52 PM

Just. Say. No.
Old 07-17-2002, 01:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to EagleChick19
I agree with 33girl!!! Don't do it!!!
Old 07-17-2002, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

You know, if I were in a local, I might talk to MTV, just to see what they would offer us... not do it, but I want to know how far they would go to get a sorority to do it...

TG
Old 07-17-2002, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to phisigbrookie
Unless you want to worry about women joining your sorority just to be on TV, pledges being portrayed as shallow party girls, and MTV editing everything that goes on to try and make an entertaining show, I would strongly advise against it.
Old 07-17-2002, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I would say not to do the show just becuse I do not think it is bringing a positive image of the Greek System. Also, from what I have been told from my brother who is in a Fraternity at Davis, MTV switched around a lot of things in the sosority to make it look more "MTV" like adding a pledge house. I do not think MTV is even showing the Sigma house for what it really is, but instead hey are causing problems in the house.

But if you do, or any other local groups do decide to do a season of sorority life do not let MTV change how you always have done things. It does not matter if your organization has been around for 5 years or 125 years, tradition is still tradition, and the only way to continue to grow is by keeping that tradition and not letting an outsider tell you what to do. If you really want MTV to spot light your house thell them you want your house depiced how it really is, as a group of girls/guys who share a common bond! But that is just my opinion, I do nt think that the Sigma house did anyhig wrong for having MTV spend a semester with them, however as I look at the show and hear wht my brother says I feel like MTV tried to manipulate a group of girls who are still trying to figure out how everything in their house should work.
Old 07-17-2002, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

don't do it. don't even give them the time of day. they'll try to woo you with fancy stuff, but they're just going to destroy you, your house, and your reputation. If you don't believe me, check out the sorority life message board on MTV (if it's still up, i heard a rumor that MTV took it down)
Old 07-17-2002, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down

Take time out of your week and watch the show.

(edited to add)

The message board is down temporarily.

Last edited by XiLovin; 07-17-2002 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-17-2002, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Well . . . do it if you want to . . . just be aware that you won't control the complete outcome as in the final show.

I wouldn't let the well-meaning advice of the people on here dissauade you from assessing the pros and cons of the situation as applied to you.

The opionion that the "sky is falling" that seems to have been expressed time and time again on here in regards to the MTV sorority show doesn't seem to be bearing out.

If anything the show isn't that exciting because it isn't going out of its way to be unrealistic, and the drama from something like the real world isn't there, where MTV got to pick the most conflicted cast possible. Puck is still a poster child for the Real World.

But by all means see what kind of negotiations MTV will let you do. For example, would they be willing to rent a house big enough for all the pledges? Or even the pledges and the actives? Maybe ask them to include whatever philanthropy you actually do as a stipulation int he contract .. . etc. Maybe even call the Sigmas lol and see what they might have done differently.
Old 07-17-2002, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Very good advice.
Old 07-17-2002, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall just to hear some of the
early conversations the producers must have had with the NPC
sororities (or with NPC itself - I can just imagine).

The bad news is that this is a sign that the show is a hit and they
are trying to do another season. Nothing is more reliable in the
media biz than this: If something is a hit people will want to clone
it and milk it for as long as possible.

On the other hand, we haven't heard anything from the handful of Sigma
AEPi's who use this message board saying that opening up to MTV was
all that bad of a thing. I mean, take a look at this:

http://www.pbase.com/betastar/crew

Seems like the girls got kind of chummy with the MTV staff. So for
all the drama it ends up being just another college memory... No harm
done.
Old 07-17-2002, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard(SNU)
The bad news is that this is a sign that the show is a hit and they are trying to do another season. Nothing is more reliable in the media biz than this: If something is a hit people will want to clone it and milk it for as long as possible.
"Hit" is a relative term in the reality show biz. These shows are so cheap to produce that it doesn't have to be a top 10 show to make money. They don't need to hire actors, writers, makeup people etc.

Even with buying the pledge house and paying the girls for "story rights" (which I believe is a very nominal sum) the cost of this show is a FRACTION of what it costs to put on a regular drama or comedy. Plus look at all the product placement - MTV's raking in the $$$ from that.

To prove my point: Big Brother 3. Who the hell even watched BB1 or BB2? But it's super cheap, and the network can pass it off as new summer programming.
Old 07-17-2002, 04:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
Along the lines of what James said, if you guys have a philanthropy, make a stipulation of your group doing the show that MTV will donate some cash to your philanthropy! I'd definitely talk to them...no harm in that.
Old 07-17-2002, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Before you even call the MTV Producers back I would contact SigmaAEPi and see what their reaction is. I would contact them again after the series has completed and they are through with fall rush. Has this series helped or hurt them? May be it helped them to expand to another campus, or maybe they can’t get any girls that are serious about their sorority to rush. Only they will be able to tell you what has happened.
If you keep contacting MTV and eventually decide to do the show make sure you have a lawyer go over everything with you as well as your Greek advisor. And I wouldn’t ask for larger pledge house for all the pledges. If MTV wants to call the series sorority life it should focus on the sisters in the sorority and not the pledges who are learning about it. But thats just my opinion.