GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Chi > Chi Omega
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,504
2 members and 2,502 guests
navane, PGD-GRAD

Old 02-07-2012, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I know this is probably a long shot but...

So long story short, my little deactivated last year on bad terms. She didn't give anything I gave her back to me, and actually threw it all away. I didn't think I would get another little, because I am in a position that usually does not take a little in our house. But with the way things worked out, I have a new little. Next week is big/little week, and I barely have anything to give her. I've bought her four or five things today, in hopes that they will arrive on time, but my chapter usually does a pretty huge big/little week, and the littles receive a lot. As a broke college student, I am doing my best with making her stuff, but I am not crafty at all.

So here is my question. I was wondering if any of you all would be willing to donate some old shirts or anything Chi O to me. I can try to reimburse you for shipping and all that, and I would really, really appreciate it. I'm so excited about having a new little. She is such an amazing girl and I cried when I found out I was lucky enough to get her.

Just thought I would ask, because it never hurts to!

Thanks girls! XO love and all mine!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-07-2012, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Perhaps one of your chapter advisors can help you... or a local alum chapter?
Old 02-07-2012, 02:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
In my chapter, the bigs would contact the little's real life parents to see if they wanted to send flowers. A congratulatory bouquet can take up a lot of room on a gift table :-)
Old 02-07-2012, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XOcarnation View Post
I would talk to your GM and ask for help. I know our chapter has a whole bunch of stuff in storage left over from bid days past and t-shirt orders where there were extras. It is possible yours does too. Also, I would ask your sisters who are also getting littles if they have extras. I know I had extra stuff (balloons and streamers and stuff like that). As for gear, ask some of the seniors. Our chapter does something called Senior Wills in which seniors give away stuff they dont think they will use in post-grad life to the remaining members. It is possible that senior has some neon crop tops she doesnt really want forever. Also, reach out to the rest of your lin (ask ur big/ grandbig).

Another thing is that a lot of the best big/little stuff that we do on campus has very little monetary value. Have a guy friend that can sing? Have him serenade her in the dining hall at lunch and bring her flowers. Get sidewalk chalk and write obnoxious messages about how great your little is all around her dorm and near her classes. Creative things like that really go a long way. Good luck!!
I raided all of our closets and only found a couple things. I've been using the extra stuff as prizes for the new members, and I used almost everything since I didn't think I would be able to take a little.

All these ideas are great, thanks. I asked my advisors and didn't have much luck there. I had my dad go to a university bookstore today in my hometown and buy her a couple things, and he's going to bring it to me this weekend. Hopefully I can find a few more things. I saw her today as I was walking to class and it was so hard not to jump up and down, haha.

Last edited by SweetCarolineXO; 02-07-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

The G.M. should not have a Little Sister.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
The G.M. should not have a Little Sister.
It was approved by my advisors, and actually was suggested by them that I take a little. I only have three or four days until big/little week starts, so I'm just looking for help-- not to discuss the rules. It's the way it worked out, and it's what's best for everyone involved. I'm not trying to sound rude or mean or disrespectful, but we got permission for it to happen. I've seen this sisterhood do something pretty amazing things, and I just thought I would ask.

Last edited by SweetCarolineXO; 02-07-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetCarolineXO View Post
I'm not trying to sound rude or mean or disrespectful, but we got permission for it to happen.
Really? Permission from your Regional Director at HQ? If so, okay then!
Old 02-07-2012, 03:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
Really? Permission from your Regional Director at HQ? If so, okay then!
I sent you a PM, but I don't know if it went through-- the campus internet is awful right now. But yes, I did.

Anyways, anyone else have any ideas? I really want to make this a great week for her.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Could your big, or anyone else in your big/little family pass things down?

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 02-07-2012, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
Could your big, or anyone else in your big/little family pass things down?
My big is abroad this semester, and we don't have any other family. I know it's quite a struggle, haha.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

My favorite gift from my big was a coupon for a Sister Bonding night. She and I went out for coffee and shopping one afternoon and then I came over to her apartment. We ordered Thai food, painted our nails, gossiped, and watched a really crappy chick flick. It was awesome and I still remember it really fondly.

I took twins and that was really expensive so I was in a similar situation. I used the following "cheap" gifts, in addition to a coupon like above:
  • I printed off a booklet of family traditions. I had the rest of my family help.
  • I went to the Dollar Store and got them things in our colors. Not everything needs to be covered in letters. I got Blue and White dove chocolates, coffee mugs, picture frames, ribbons, cups, notebooks, etc.
  • I had a bunch of people in the chapter write down things they loved about the girls on slips of paper and I put them in a "pick me up" box that I decorated with the letters.
Hope it helps!

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 02-07-2012, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Do the gifts have to be specifically about Chi Omega? You could take advantage of the current popularity of owls and find some cute things, especially if you're near an Urban Outfitters.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Or H&M. They had a TON of Owl jewelry the last time I was there

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 02-07-2012, 04:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Dollar. Store. Everything. Seriously. Do candles in your letters, decorate picture frames. Also I don't know if your campus does this but for our big/little decorations every day has a theme and you can really have fun with them. For ours' the last day is always Sigma day (and your 'family' day so my family is the Winnie the Pooh family so we always give Sigma and Pooh related stuff). But the first two days I've done Penn State day (so gifts centering around the theme of Penn State, so PSU homecoming shirts, white out shirts for a football game, dance maraTHON shirts, blue and white anything) and favorites day (which is super easy to customize to everything your little likes--i.e. favorite food, drink, music, movie, etc). This could definitely cut down on the amount of Chi Omega stuff that you would need.

You could also quickly make some letters with fabric and puffy paint. Or even press on letters (though they should really be stitched ASAP to keep them together). You could also do this on a plain tote bag. Another thing I did was make a tie blanket (directions can be found here) in our sorority's colors for my little, that was pretty easy and was a useful gift too. Also remember that you can decorate things (like mugs, cups, frames, headbands) to make them Chi O themed. Also things in your colors are also great. Balloons and streamers can also have a really 'wow' effect without much cost. Do you have a crafty sister that can help out? I was always recruited to streamer and decorate and puffy paint. Use your resources!

If all else fails though, write her an IOU. That's what I had to do with my first little because we got matched the semester after I initiated and I had literally one shirt to give her. So instead of getting them all that day I just bought her every shirt that we got for the next semester and gave them to her that way. It will work out. Remember, as a little you're going to love your big no matter what. Looking back my big did not really get me much stuff (and wasn't really the most creative) but I was just so thrilled that I was getting anything that I was blown away. And remember, your relationship will (and should) supersede the things you get her (although they're nice). Best of luck! Let us know what you decide to do!

Edited to add: Michael's/AC Moore's dollar section is also your best friend. I know for my other little I managed to find little pens and papers with her initials on them, purple and white travel coffee mugs, and also wooden letters that she could display in her room. You could also paint the letters cardinal and straw colored. Also magazines, candy, snacks, coloring books, and crayons are all fun presents that I know I'd love.

Last edited by psusue; 02-07-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Get Crafty!!

Decorate some Wooden Letters/Pinboard/Photo Frame!

I found this cute idea for covering flameless candles using printed napkins: directions here

You could also make your little her own candy jar, filling it with her favourite candy: directions here

Also check out: this website for some more ideas