GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen

Old 12-29-2002, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

well when I rushed this past fall, I was in the XYZ suite sitting down and having a nice conversation with a sister with my purse in my lap. They told us to turn our cell phones off but I just figured i'd put mine on vibrate and keep it in my purse. in the middle of our conversation I felt the phone vibrate and I sort of jumped a little bit and the girl just looked at me kind of funny thinking I had just passed gas! I couldn't explain what happened since my cell phone wasn't even supposed to be on so I just had to sit there letting this girl think I was really rude! Yup...I got cut.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-29-2002, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AlphaSigLana
Yeah this thread has really taken off. Soon we will have more stories from Winter rush!!!
I hope not from me! It's my first time on the other side and a LOT of girls I know are rushing us and and I am totally worried I am going to screw up!
Old 12-29-2002, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlphaGamGirlAY
Why we think we got cut, huh? Interesting what everyone so far has thought about that subject.
Here's my input:

I went through formal rush so I went to all the houses on my campus. At the ZTA house, they were talking about their philanthropy, which put plainly is Breast Cancer Foundation...I started bawling my eyes out b/c I have a great-aunt who is sorta dying of cancer that started in the breast and has spread rapidly and I have a few breast cancer survivors in my family as well as quite a few relatives dead because of various cancers. I think by crying, I was cut. (Don't get me wrong, the Zetas on my campus are nice gals...but you just don't cry during Rush).

I think for a few of our sororities who are a bit older both nationally and on my campus, I think I was too spontaneous and spirited for them...I'm wild and crazy at times and even my sisters think I'm a bit much! On bid day, the rushees jumped off a low stage after announcing who they got their bid from...I screamed "Make some noise Alpha Gamma Delta, I'm yours!"

But the funny thing is, where I thought I "messed up" was in fact at the sorority I am a part of. The first day of Rush I tripped over an active's legs passing by on my way into a room. I joked that "boy that'll make you guys cut me" and we all laughed and the girl (now my sister) was like, "don't worry, we're all klutzy here."
Old 12-30-2002, 03:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DG515 Send a message via Yahoo to DG515
Cool hmmmm

Well, I'm on a small commuter campus and we only have to NPC sororities and no locals so rush week really wasn't all that stressful for me. We all made it through all the parties and were all invited back to both pref nights. Both groups of girls are really awesome and it was a hard choice between the two and i switched mentally between the two all week. One day i was deadset the one and then the next, the other. It got to pref night and both ceremonies were great, but at the one, i just seemed to be there. I wasn't feeling it, ya know? I just went through the motions and when i went through the DG one, i looked around and knew i was home. I got my bid card, closed my eyes and saw the anchor. i haven't looked back since!
-Mandie
Old 01-07-2003, 05:35 AM
GreekChat Member

I have a couple stories:

My fresh year I tried informal....and I mean I TRIED... I went to about 4 of ABC's interest parties because I thought I loved some of the girls there....well I never got a bid...but the last party I went to my friend Michelle went with...only she had to come late, and when she did show up she didn't say much....but she is tall, blonde and has gorgeuos blue eyes...and she also got their bid that smae night (but refused b/c she thought it was stupid that she got a bid for being a barbie doll)....when I went though formal....all the girls I had liked in that house had grad. or deactivated anyway....

During formal (soph year), at the XYZ house I knew I didn't want I told the girl how horrible rush was because I couldn't see people's true personality...obviously people aren't going to act like themselves...WOW did she show me her true self....hmmm

Also I got invited back to Tri-Sigma (don't mind saying the name b/c this isn't a bad story)...and I was exstatic b/c I got paired with the same girl who rushed me first round...and she hadn't cut me first round so I thought i was good...well I made the mistake of gushing on about how I loves this soroity and how pretty the girl was who rushed me...I'm not sure if it was that or just that they had to cut half of the girls for pref

But I wouldn't trade my ASA's for anything in the world!!!
Old 04-19-2003, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Ok I loooove this thread so I'm bringing it back:

From my rush on the other side thread:

We were making little stuffed angels on philanthropy night and using this high powered fabric glue. Well, one of the PNMs made a comment about how good the glue smelled. I was like "hmmm" but I knew her from class so I racked it up to nervousness. She wasn't really talking well, she was nervous, so we checked out our lattices w/ photos of our philanthropy events and such. When we got back to our table she was like "I just love the smell of this glue". I was beginning to get a little weirded out. But then a few minutes later she picks up her angel and takes a HUGE WHIFF and is like "I LOVE this glue" and I got pretty freaked out. Luckily I started telling some story about paint pens, but it was so bizarre. hehe. She did pledge another group, but now I think she's transferring. She's a strange ranger.

A new one:

There was this freshman woman on my campus this year. She was very attractive, very athletic, and very friendly. Unfortunately, she didn't let herself be known for that. She had a website called "Jane Doe's Little Hole on the Web" which featured revealing bikini pictures of herself with suggestive captions. Then, she gave the site to some of her freshmen guy friends. Needless to say, on our 1700 person campus, the pictures were soon posted on guy's doors, computers, and being passed around through emails and IMs. She had articles written about her in the paper, as well as sorority members come up to her to tell her that she was balled from their house. Actually, I really liked the girl, aside from her completely poor judgement, which seemed pretty out of character for her. She's on hall with my little sister and they're good friends. She didn't even go through formal rush, but basically all fall term here is like rush... I think she's transferring to a big state school next year. I imagine she'll rush there.

Oh, and just to beat up myself, a little bit, too:

I think I was cut from one house on Pref Night because of the toolish sweater I worse the day before. Sort of a purple wool cardigan that you can imagine your mom wearing! Our third round, Sisterhood Night, is definately awkward overall... Oh well!

Last edited by breathesgelatin; 04-19-2003 at 12:47 AM.
Old 04-19-2003, 02:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MSSTCY1
I don't have a story on why I was cut, but I do have one on why we cut one girl out of rush.

I met this girl the first day of Informal rush and she was hanging all over every sister. At first I thought she was such an awesome rushee and really interested in getting to know everyone. She had overheard some sisters talking about where we were going out that night and showed up by herself to hang out with us. While it may seem like a nice gesture ( and there are no rules about hanging out with rushees during informal) it was a little strange. We really didn't want any other rushee to see her with us and think that we were giving her any kind of special treatment. Then after day 2, we were at a neighboring fraternity house where she had just left from and the guys were telling us how she told them that she was promised a bid and all this stuff ( which she was not)! That pissed me off a little b/c it was so presumptuous (sp?). The next day she showed up unanounced at our house and said she just wanted to say hi. She just seemed to wierd, and kinda pushy for us, so we cut her. After rush was over the guys in the fraternity told us they were so glad that we had cut her b/c apparently she was really heavy into a lot of drugs. They said they didn't want to tell us before b/c they would have felt bad.
Old 04-19-2003, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to OUlioness01
ok i don't kow if i've posted this already. i don't know if we cut this girl or not but one of my sisters likes to ask off-the-wall questions to see what the PNMs will say. one questions she asked was "if you could buy any country in the world, which one would you buy?" the PNM said "ummm, i don't know....Hawaii?" When we had about that after the party we almost died laughing.
Old 04-19-2003, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by OUlioness01
ok i don't kow if i've posted this already. i don't know if we cut this girl or not but one of my sisters likes to ask off-the-wall questions to see what the PNMs will say. one questions she asked was "if you could buy any country in the world, which one would you buy?" the PNM said "ummm, i don't know....Hawaii?" When we had about that after the party we almost died laughing.
Obviously a geography major?

honeychile
Old 04-19-2003, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Aquastar
Quote:
Originally posted by maggieaxid
I one other house i was cut from, i think the fact that i told the girl who was taking me around that i was petrified of snakes and anything to do with snakes (sorry all you sk's) and she gave me a really dirty look when i said that...i was oblivious that that was their local/national symbol. i thought their symbol was just a dove! but duh, they had snakes around their house!
Uhmm ... our symbol isnt a snake ... just a dove or heart ... :shrugs: maybe its a chapter thing. Oh well! At lest youre happy!
UMass
Amherst

"Its tradition ... and you don't monkey with tradition!"
Old 04-20-2003, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerStar Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerStar
snakes scare the daylights out of me too...i doubt i could have handled going through their house...most girls hate snakes too so its weird that they'd have that for their symbol...i dunno...maybe its just me...have a great day....
Old 04-20-2003, 12:32 AM

Recruitment began the 2nd weekend of school & I had just had a mole removed on my chest & there were stiches there. I used a band-aid to cover it up most of the time I believe, but either way it was visible I had a band-aid there....maybe I was cut b/c of that?!...lol

***note I've been on this board before...and for some reason I can log on my old username but I can not post...I've e-mailed but received to reply to this, so I created a new name...if I should not be posting this here let me know, thanks
Old 04-20-2003, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Aquastar
Uhmm ... our symbol isnt a snake ... just a dove or heart ... :shrugs: maybe its a chapter thing. Oh well! At lest youre happy!

I may be mistaken, but doesn't the snake figure prominently on the SK pledge pin? (I could be wrong, but I don't feel like checking the pledge pin thread!) If this is the case, the snake may not be a symbol , per se, but it must have some sort of meaning. Or maybe not, lol
Old 04-20-2003, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

The wierdest getting cut story

I think I got cut from a certain sorority b/c I told them that one of their members no longer had cancer and that she had gone into remission. The certain sister (at my school) was in chemotherapy with my mom (in the same city as the school) and she was so upset when she learned I wasn't invited back to pref. I am glad now though!
Old 04-20-2003, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by KillarneyRose
I may be mistaken, but doesn't the snake figure prominently on the SK pledge pin? (I could be wrong, but I don't feel like checking the pledge pin thread!) If this is the case, the snake may not be a symbol , per se, but it must have some sort of meaning. Or maybe not, lol
Yeah the snake is the "sigma" on our pledge pin, but it's definitely not a symbol! I know at my chapter...we don't have any pictures of snakes up, just hearts and doves everywhere, does anyone remember what chapter the girl went where Sigma Kappa had snakes everywhere?! (it's just a little strange to me)