GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Beta > Beta Sigma Phi
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 2,506
4 members and 2,502 guests
babobygooglet93, Cookiez17, SilverTurtle

Old 09-10-2007, 04:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy Saying Goodbye to Beta Sigma Phi

Well, ladies, I am sorry to say that this month, my member ship renewal is due, and I will not be renewing it. I have been a member in good standing since 2002, have been with 3 different chapters, and have a great respect for BSP. However, when the last chapter I was in folded at the end of the 2005-2006 sorority year (and I was put into member-at-large status), I was never contacted to join another in my area, despite the fact that National HQ sent my contact info out at least 3 times to the area city council. I know that there are multiple chapters in this area (northern VA), but most have "radius restrictions", which I guess I fall out of. Others are "older lady" chapters (I don't mean that in a negative way ), I guess they don't want someone who is only 29 and just a RoJ member. I am very saddened by this, BSP is a wonderful organization, and I've had very good times in my previous chapters. However, I want to be INVOLVED, be doing service projects and enjoy the social aspect of sisterhood. I am currently looking at some service organizations in my area that seem to be very active. I still have great respect for Beta, however at this time and location it's just not the organization for me.

I hope that my story does not discourage any potential new members to Beta; Beta is wonderful and definately worth pursuing! I guess my location/age/etc. just is working against me right now.

Take care, ladies! I will still be on GreekChat surfing the forums!

Nicole
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-11-2007, 09:33 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow, I'm sorry to hear this. Have you thought about joining an online chapter?

Best of luck whatever you ultimately decide.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Nicole,
I know that you have done great work as a part of our sorority. You will certainly be missed. But please remember...once a Beta Sigma Phi, always a Beta Sigma Phi. Even if you are not in good financial standing with the organization, you are still a sister. You are welcome here! It was a hard decision for me to give up my land chapter membership in favor of online membership, but like you said, at this time land chapter membership is not for me. I understand how difficult these decisions can be.

Take care.
Erica
Order of the Rose recipient
Old 09-13-2007, 12:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Post I cant believe it!! What are they all thinking??

That is just awful ! Go to your City Council and write what you just wrote to us!!!
Old 09-15-2007, 02:39 PM

I would write to city council. I probably wouldnt to international though. They would most likely tell you to friendly venture
Old 09-17-2007, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AngelPhiSig
Nicole,

Maybe in the future you and I can get something started in NoVa. Manassas CC had a "younger" chapter fold recently and they were supposed to get in touch with me about keeping it going... but that hasnt happened.

Do you still have my email? We should get together anyway, since we are STILL sisters. I forget where you live in the crazy land that is NoVa... but we should def. hang out!
Old 09-27-2007, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSP_Nicole View Post
I know that there are multiple chapters in this area (northern VA), but most have "radius restrictions", which I guess I fall out of. Others are "older lady" chapters (I don't mean that in a negative way ), I guess they don't want someone who is only 29 and just a RoJ member.
Oh no! I just decided to log onto here after reading a few posts on the Rosies group. This saddens me. I will be moving from Orlando to Northern Virginia in November. I'm just a bit older than you (34) and had hoped to attend a rush event in the area.

Do you ladies have any advice on what I should do? I was going to contact Nationals once I got settled in. Are online chapters an option for PNMs?

I do hope you find a chapter, Nicole.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi. Some online chapters do accept new pledges. Others do not. International allows each chapter to make its own decision. It is a nice option for women who do not have access to land chapters. But keep your options open!

Erica
Order of the Rose recipient