GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,163
1 members and 1,162 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 09-22-2005, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

2nd time around

Hi Girls!,
I rushed last year and am re-rushing this year, and was wondering if I should start a thread of how it goes. I figure that there seems to be people wondering how it goes for re-rushees, and Im going to dive into it head first, so I figured I might as well post how it goes to maybe help other girls decide whether or not they too should rerush. Hope this helps!

Heres a little background though:

I rushed and bid last year to a house I didnt like lets call them "blue" (and no blue is not one of their colors that would just be silly). Well I had my heart set on another house lets call them "Green" (again not a color) and after going on this site learned of sponsorship. Its not big at out school, infact there are girls in houses who have never heard of it. Anyways I called up a local alumni green chapter, told them my situation and eventually ended up with an absolutely AMAZING sponsor! So starting October 7th rush will begin and Ive never been so nervous in my life!. And here I am. About to go where very few have gone before. I would love to tell my story as to potentially help other girls who also want a second greek shot!

Here goes nothing!

(p.s. if there are people apposed to this thread, please PM me your concerns. Thanks)
Old 09-22-2005, 11:48 PM

When you say sponsor, do you mean someone to write you a recommendation?

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:49 PM
GreekChat Member

yup
Old 09-22-2005, 11:50 PM

Ok, now is this formal rush you're doing or informal for this particular chapter?

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Formal. We didnt start school until today. Yay for silly west coast schools.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
I added you to this list
Old 09-23-2005, 06:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Keep in mind that a rec doesn't guarantee you a bid or really guarantee much at all.

Why did you drop out of the other house? Why did you accept a bid from them in the first place if you did not want to be in that house?
Old 09-23-2005, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Quote:
Originally posted by kddani
Why did you drop out of the other house? Why did you accept a bid from them in the first place if you did not want to be in that house?
I've been thinking about this question because it seems to come up a lot in these types of threads. One thing I remember hearing a lot from girls who ended up depledging was that the houses they joined actually ended up being quite different from the image that they had projected during rush. There were two or three houses in particular that I heard this about, and these houses, according to the new members, put a lot of effort into making their house seem a lot "better" (more fun, I guess they meant?) during rush than they really were, and they also treated the rushees like royalty whereas when they pledged, they got a lot less attention. Maybe a similar sort of situation went on in this case, or in any other case where a girl chose to depledge. It sounds reasonable, because we all know how hard it is to get an accurate idea of what a house is like during rush just because everything is so hectic and fast. Or I could be wrong, I don't know...but maybe it's something to think about.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Quote:
Originally posted by kddani
Keep in mind that a rec doesn't guarantee you a bid or really guarantee much at all.

Since you are locked out of recruitment for a calendar year if you decline a bid during FR, many women will accept the bid and see if the group really does 'fit' them.

Many women do find out that the chapter is their home, after all. And some, like this woman, find out that their first impressions were accurate. I think it all depends.

However, I do agree that having a recommendation never guarantees you a bid and, as has been posted on other threads, since all the groups will know that you pledged, then broke your pledge, to another group, you shouldn't hold your expectation too high.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PenguinTrax
Since you are locked out of recruitment for a calendar year if you decline a bid during FR, many women will accept the bid and see if the group really does 'fit' them.

Many women do find out that the chapter is their home, after all. And some, like this woman, find out that their first impressions were accurate. I think it all depends.

However, I do agree that having a recommendation never guarantees you a bid and, as has been posted on other threads, since all the groups will know that you pledged, then broke your pledge, to another group, you shouldn't hold your expectation too high.
I understand the more common reasons why people join a chapter then drop. I was just curious as to her particular situation
Old 09-23-2005, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Hi hi hi,
So I swear on my life Im not trying to be a bitch or yell at anyone or anytihng like that here. Ok now that I am threw the disclaimer, Im not going to divulge the reasons i left my house, just understand that I did. I hope this doesnt seem like Im asking people if I should rush or not, because thats not my goal here either. I heading into this thing in a if-it-goes-well-it-goes-well-if-it-doesnt-it-doesnt type additude. I figured I would sacrafice myself for the good of others in that I can be the one to relay to re-rushees whether or not its a good idea. I feel that its really different hearing it from a girl going through it rather than a girl on the other side of recruitment.

Another thing i should mention is that with the rec I know its not a surefire, or even an extrodinary help, but thats why I wanted it. So that if in fact I dont get a bid I can relay the message that even with a rec, re-rushing isnt a good idea.

This thread is going to be documentary style than anything else, because I have to go into it with the state of mind that I could end up 15 dollars in the hole and making a complete fool of myself. But whatever, things could always be worse right?

One more thing I want to point out, Im at a california school, and they treat rush and sorority life MUCH differently than those of the midwest, south, east, basically everywhere. So thats another variable to added into this whole thing.

I hope this helps any of you who seem to be confused by my thread, this is really something that I think will be beneficial to many girls. I hope you girls can support me in this because it really means alot to me.

Thanks a ton!
Old 09-23-2005, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungBaby80
One thing I remember hearing a lot from girls who ended up depledging was that the houses they joined actually ended up being quite different from the image that they had projected during rush. There were two or three houses in particular that I heard this about, and these houses, according to the new members, put a lot of effort into making their house seem a lot "better" (more fun, I guess they meant?) during rush than they really were, and they also treated the rushees like royalty whereas when they pledged, they got a lot less attention. Maybe a similar sort of situation went on in this case, or in any other case where a girl chose to depledge. It sounds reasonable, because we all know how hard it is to get an accurate idea of what a house is like during rush just because everything is so hectic and fast. Or I could be wrong, I don't know...but maybe it's something to think about.
This is a great thought to mention! I saw this happening a lot at my school. There was one chapter that always got the 'trophy' PNMs. Then, they would either drop before initiation, or leave shortly thereafter. I think that demonstrating actual sisterhood during recruitment events is quite difficult...even with a no-frills rush. I think that's why so many people on this forum stress to PNMs the importance of an open mind. It's very easy to let outward appearances create your opinions!
Old 09-23-2005, 12:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AchtungBaby80
I've been thinking about this question because it seems to come up a lot in these types of threads. One thing I remember hearing a lot from girls who ended up depledging was that the houses they joined actually ended up being quite different from the image that they had projected during rush. There were two or three houses in particular that I heard this about, and these houses, according to the new members, put a lot of effort into making their house seem a lot "better" (more fun, I guess they meant?) during rush than they really were, and they also treated the rushees like royalty whereas when they pledged, they got a lot less attention. Maybe a similar sort of situation went on in this case, or in any other case where a girl chose to depledge. It sounds reasonable, because we all know how hard it is to get an accurate idea of what a house is like during rush just because everything is so hectic and fast. Or I could be wrong, I don't know...but maybe it's something to think about.
I've heard of this happening before. Sometimes they come to us or other local organizations on campus too.

At any rate, I wish you luck, being an alum of a California school myself. We just finished up formal here and my group finishes up tonight.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Just to let you know--I went through rush a 2nd time, and it is VERY hard. Granted my chapter only has 2 NPC sororities, it was very hard to rush again. I was lucky that there were groups that hadn't participated in rush last year or else I was have gotten ZERO bids. There are going to be people that recognize you and want to know WHY you left the other group. You can't just say "its my reasons" b/c that necessarily won't fly with anyone. (i'm not trying to be mean, its just the reality). Just go in with an open mind...I wouldn't go straight into it thinking you know which group to go with, because it just might not happen. Take care and I wish you a lot of luck!
Old 09-23-2005, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

well, good luck to you tinkgirl. hope it goes as you want, and please keep us posted!!