GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,396
0 members and 1,396 guests
No Members online

Old 06-03-2000, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Question grad rush

Can a graduate student rush a sorority?
Old 06-04-2000, 02:47 PM
michelle_azd

As I write this, I am making the assumption that you want to join a National Panhellenic Conference Sorority (i.e. Women's Fraternity)

I think you would need to contact the Panhellenic Office on your campus and ask if you can participate in Rush. If they say "no", then you could contact the Headquarters of sororities that interest you and ask them about their "alumnae initiate" program.

I don't know anything about National
Pan-Hellenic Council sororities (i.e. they historically have "black" membership), but again, they must have an on-campus council, so if you were interested, your best bet might be to contact them and ask. If there are any NPHC ladies out there who could comment that would help. With the NPHC sororities, I have reason to believe that as a Grad Student, you can only join by invitation only. Perhaps if there are some NPHC ladies out there who could comment, this would be of help to you.

Good Luck to you.
Old 06-04-2000, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
Yes, you can join an NPHC sosority after you have graduated. As michelle_azd said, it is by invitation only. You should contact the specific organization you are interested in to find out specific information about joining and their membership requirements.

ZetaAce
Old 06-04-2000, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

In addition, you may be able to rush a professional sorority or fraternity in your field of study, if that's of interest. For more details on these organizations, try www.profraternity.org. Good luck to you!
Old 06-05-2000, 01:10 AM
michelle_azd

Quote:
Originally posted by ZetaAce:
Yes, you can join an NPHC sorority after you have graduated. As michelle_azd said, it is by invitation only. You should contact the specific organization you are interested in to find out specific information about joining and their membership requirements.

ZetaAce

ZetaAce,
I wanted to ask you a bit more about NPHC rush for Grad Students. If membership is by invitation only, how do you make it known to the sorority in question that you are interested in membership? How would one let the NPHC sorority know that the Grad Student is interested in membership? Just wondering. Thank you. (My campus had no NPHC groups on campus, so that is why I don't know that much about this).
Old 06-05-2000, 01:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by michelle_azd:

ZetaAce,
I wanted to ask you a bit more about NPHC rush for Grad Students. If membership is by invitation only, how do you make it known to the sorority in question that you are interested in membership? How would one let the NPHC sorority know that the Grad Student is interested in membership? Just wondering. Thank you. (My campus had no NPHC groups on campus, so that is why I don't know that much about this).

ZetaAce, I hope you don't mind me responding.

Making an interest known to an Alumnae member is essentailly the same as making it known to a Collegiate member: get to know a member personally and attend the chapters functions. If you do not know a member personally, we suggest getting to know one through any of the community service projects you are doing or at one of the chapter's events.

------------------
Kelli
12-DN-94
SSU c/o 1997
Old 06-05-2000, 07:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZetaAce Send a message via AIM to ZetaAce
12dn94dst- Of course I don't mind you responding!

michelle_azd- Another thing I wanted to add is that you don't have to be a graduate student to join an Alumni chapter, but you must be a graduate of a college/university.

[This message has been edited by ZetaAce (edited June 05, 2000).]
Old 06-05-2000, 11:20 AM
michelle_azd

Talking

Thank you Kelli and ZetaAce for your replies!
Old 06-08-2000, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Can you become an AOPI if you went to a school that had a chapter, but you didnt join a national sorority while you were in school?
Old 06-09-2000, 11:11 AM
hilton

Exclamation

yes, you can be an alumna initiate. Contact Cathy Guider at AOPi headquarters for all the details. www.alphaomicronpi.org