GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,143
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, liscahvs8263
» Online Users: 1,501
0 members and 1,501 guests
No Members online

Old 02-21-2009, 09:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Tri Delta chapter at Miami suspended

So sad to report that the Delta Delta Delta chapter at Miami University has been suspended for two years. Lots of very sad sisters and new members. They just finished a successful recruitment over a month ago. Keep these girls in you thoughts and prayers.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-21-2009, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lavendarlace
What happened?

When I first saw your post, I thought hazing still happens?!!? I am not condoning hazing in anyway. I thought of the rumor mill of hazing activities, not the umbrella of categories that actually fall under hazing.

Then I read these articles, it is truly sad that after almost 100 years the chapter is being suspended. There is no legal action being taken, no one was expelled from campus. So, this made me wonder what happened. It obviously does not sound like the hazing myths and rumors that non-Greeks think of when they hear the word hazing.

The national representative said the women made poor choices, but had the best intentions at heart.
That quote made me curious about what was considered hazing. I understand the safety issues with a lot of precautions (i.e. scavenger hunt) or the emotional outcomes of telling NMs they cannot wear letter- when they are members when they accept the bid. I'm just saying it is very sad that this chapter had their charter suspended for not taking these precautions seriously.

http://www.uwire.com/Article.aspx?id=3780184

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...026/1056/COL02

all reminds me of,

http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...t=hazing+rules

Last edited by lavendarlace; 02-21-2009 at 10:54 AM. Reason: title spelling
Old 02-21-2009, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Sad news indeed. As the Cincinnati Enquirer article noted, Sigma Nu at Miami is also suspended, for alcohol violations.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Just so there is no confusion, this is the chapter at Miami of Ohio, not the chapter at Miami in Florida.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:36 PM

This is sad, especially since recruitment just ended there.

Also, this just goes to show how we need to really be mindful of our orgs RM policies, because it's typically not blatant activities thet get chapters in trouble. It's usually something that you never thought would be considered hazing that ensds up being an issue.

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Delta Delta Delta Statement on (inter)National Web Site:

http://www.tridelta.org/news/media_s...Suspension.asp
Old 02-21-2009, 07:57 PM
GreekChat Member

How sad for DDD, thier new members, the chapter and the entire miami community.
Old 02-21-2009, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Denise_DPhiE
Yet another NPC who won't be able to celebrate their campus centennial. This made me thing of DZ at DePauw. Probably a inappropriate mention but just thought of it.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, it looks like they will be able to come back for their 100th.

eta - didn't we have a thread somewhere about a "Beta" curse?

Last edited by SWTXBelle; 02-21-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
"Select members of our chapter who took part in the activities on Thursday, Jan. 29 did not participate with any ill intent and truly wanted only for members to feel welcomed and special," Shannon said.

Clark said Tri Delta's executive board laments the current situation and the subsequent punishment. Clark said the decision was increasingly more difficult considering the Tri Delta chapter has avoided any serious issues throughout the near century it has existed on Miami's campus.
What in the world did they do?

It seems crazy that a group of women did "something" to make the pledges feel "welcomed and special" and it was sooooo bad that after a "near century" of avoiding any serious issues, they got the BOOT???

What the heck?
Old 02-23-2009, 02:51 PM

Article in Miami Student w/ commentary

http://media.www.miamistudent.net/me...llegeheadlines

Last edited by 33girl; 02-23-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to phisiglindsey
We had a similar occurrence in my chapter. Half of my chapter wanted to do something, while the other half was completely unaware. It was stopped before it could happen, but had it happened, it wouldn't have looked good at all. And like this, it was all to make our new members feel welcomed and special. It's better to think really hard before doing any activities. Asking advisors helps to avoid situations like this too.

I'm sorry for these women. I can't imagine doing something with good intentions, and then having this happen. I'd love to know exactly what happened though.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

With so many rumors going around, it seems, it'll be difficult to tell what's truth and what's fiction.

That said, I'm sorry to hear the news. What a terrible decision for the executive board to make/enforce. Whatever it was that happened, I hope that everyone involved can move on gracefully.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmom View Post
What in the world did they do?

It seems crazy that a group of women did "something" to make the pledges feel "welcomed and special" and it was sooooo bad that after a "near century" of avoiding any serious issues, they got the BOOT???

What the heck?
A few details, with source(s) identified, are in a report on a site affiliated with the Cincinnati Enquirer:

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...WS01/302230052

The report ^ specifies:

"the university’s formal charges against the sorority"

and

"documents from Miami’s Office of Ethics and Student Conflict Resolution show that the university received two reports on the incident within days"

Last edited by exlurker; 02-23-2009 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Article in Miami Student w/ commentary

http://media.www.miamistudent.net/me...llegeheadlines

VERY interesting commentary at the bottom. It is sad that they're just two years short of celebrating their centennial It obviously won't be the same in two years when they're allowed back. The comments suggest that the chapter is the biggest contributing chapter to St. Jude. I do agree that the punishment is really harsh. It will be so difficult to recover from a two year suspension- imagine recruitment in 2011.... It think that both the school and EO were trying to make an example out of the chapter.