GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 2,296
2 members and 2,294 guests
Low D Flat

Old 03-24-2008, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Spring Break Mistake?

I am really excited about upcoming fall recruitment. I go to a SEC school that is VERY competitive, but I've been working really hard on my grades, getting recs, etc.

I just got back from Spring Break, and while I was away I decided to get a tattoo on the top of my foot. It's not very big and not anything weird looking, but I still have to wonder if I made a mistake getting it before recruitment (according to my mom, I did). What do you all think? Should I hide it during recruitment? Will it affect my chances of pledging?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-24-2008, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes and Yes
Old 03-24-2008, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Hide it.

I consider tattoos to generally be a bad idea, especially when you get them when you're young or in a place that isn't always easily hidden.

That's a life thing and not specifically about recruitment.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:09 PM

Tattoos are generally a bad idea. If it's on your foot, I'd assume it's pretty easy to hide. Just hide it.

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
Hide it.

I consider tattoos to generally be a bad idea, especially when you get them when you're young or in a place that isn't always easily hidden.

That's a life thing and not specifically about recruitment.
agreed!
Old 03-24-2008, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

You're already going to have a harder time getting a bid at an SEC school as an upperclassman. The tattoo may be viewed as out-of-place at an SEC recruitment. Not to say there aren't sorority women with tattoos all across North America... but I would suggest covering it up.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:32 AM
GreekChat Member

It depends on the school. It depends on the individual GLO. It depends on the tattoo. To be safe I'd consider buying some heavy duty professional grade cover up makeup.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh, come on people. It's not that big of a deal, even in the SEC! I'd say a LARGE percentage of the sorority women have them. I will say...the more urban the university, the more likely you'll see people with multiple tatoos and multiple piercings. But if it's small...don't worry about it.

Old 03-25-2008, 11:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Better to start getting practice now. Many places of employment will think it inappropriate to display as well.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

I have a tattoo on the top of my foot- so does one of my pledge sisters, We both had them before recruitment and it didn't hinder either of our recruitments.
then again- i go to school in canada and I have no idea what rush is like in the SEC.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Picture yourself when you're 37 or 38, you've been working your keister off in your chosen field to build your work history, credibility and respect.

You go into a huge negotiation or a major board meeting or a next-step-up interview with the big cheese, you stride in full of confidence, you've got your best suit and fabulous shoes on, you sit, cross your legs and ... staring up is this cutesy memory of spring break when you were 18, 19, 20 that you didn't think to at least get in a place you could conceal at appropriate times. Your credibility will drop instantly.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Just wear socks with your sandals during recruitment -- you'll be fine.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think it'll be as big of a problem later on in life as people say. It all depends on what you're going into. I have VERY visible tattoos (one on each wrist) and I had no problem getting a job, into a sorority, or during interviews for things like Leadership conferences.
Now I can't say how it'll affect you going through recruitment, but foot tattoos are pretty common and I wouldn't worry as long as it's not obscene.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, duh, of course it technically depends.

But the OP was asking for our opinions as outsiders. She can't both hide it and NOT hide it. She probably also can't conduct an interview of tattoo'd sorority girls and aspirants at her school.

So it's better to be safe than sorry. This is one reason why tattoos and certain types of piercings are generally a bad idea (I personally don't like them), unless you plan on being surrounded by the same people everyday of your life and not venture into unchartered terrorities in your professional and personal lives.

No one wants to read her "A Tattoo Ruined My Chances" thread on GC so she should hide it.

Last edited by DSTCHAOS; 03-25-2008 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post

No one wants to read her "A Tattoo Ruined My Chances" thread on GC so she should hide it.
That would make her recruitment thread very short, and would lessen the amount of greekchat I have available to read while I'm at work, so I see your point.