GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 757
0 members and 757 guests
No Members online

Old 07-23-2003, 02:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to radioZTA Send a message via Yahoo to radioZTA
Sorority Row at North Texas

From the Denton Record Chronicle:

UNT OKs ‘sorority row’
07/22/2003

By Matthew Zabel / Staff Writer

Five sororities should have houses at the University of North Texas in about a year, after the university’s regents Monday approved the construction of a sorority row on the campus’s east side.

In a called meeting via teleconference Monday, the UNT Board of Regents voted 8-0 to build five sorority houses for $5.1 million at the southwest corner of Bernard and West Prairie streets, on a vacant lot the university already owns.

A UNT sorority leader praised the decision, saying it will enhance Greek life on campus and make a nice border to the campus.

Amanda Baird, a junior and president of UNT’s Alpha Delta Pi chapter, one of five sororities expected to move into the houses in August 2004, said putting the sororities all into one area will allow the Greek organizations to interact more.

"When the Greek community as a whole is strengthened, each individual chapter will be strengthened, as well," Ms. Baird said.

But the managers of a neighboring apartment complex fear having sororities across the street might bring noise and trash to the neighborhood and scare away potential tenants.

Amber Morris, assistant manager of the 344-unit apartment complex directly across the street from the future sorority row, said even though most of The Oaks apartment residents are UNT students, some have families and don’t want to live in a rowdy neighborhood.

"Not everyone wants to be in a party environment," she said. "Some just want a quiet community, and people find it a relief when they find out we’re pretty strict."

Ardyce Mentzel, the apartment’s manager, shares some of those same concerns, but said is more optimistic about the project.

"I have a lot of respect for young people," she said. "It’s all about respect. You don’t want to live in a neighborhood where the property isn’t kept up. It all depends how they take care of it."

UNT officials said the project would primarily improve student life on campus and secondarily help address the university’s housing shortage.

"It’s an exciting time to be Greek on this campus," said Troy LeForge, UNT’s assistant dean of students for Greek life. "This will provide a strong community atmosphere for women groups and will forge a stronger Panhellenic conference."

Dr. Bonita Jacobs, UNT’s vice president for student life, said the sorority houses would be built in a single building that will be divided into five parts. Each part will be about 7,600 square feet, with enough room for 25 beds. Each part will have a distinct facade on the front to distinguish the separate sororities. In back, a courtyard would allow for many more activities among the Greek organizations.

UNT would own the house and lease it to the sororities with long-term agreements, she said.

The sororities expected to move into the houses are Alpha Delta Pi, Alpha Phi, Kappa Kappa Gamma, Pi Beta Phi and Zeta Tau Alpha.

Of the 13 sororities chartered at UNT, only Alpha Delta Pi has a house, at the corner of Eagle Drive and Welch Street. The house has room for 18 women. Tentative plans are to move out of their current location and move into the new sorority row upon completion, Ms. Baird said.

UNT Regent Gayle Strange of Denton said she believes the improvement to the property will help improve the appearance of the area, and thus the property values there.

And as an alumna of Alpha Delta Pi, Ms. Strange believes the stronger Greek organization will be a boon to the university.

"When everybody’s together like that, people decide to attend athletic events together and other activities," Ms. Strange said. "That’s the community all of us remember and hope the students today will be able to experience."

MATTHEW ZABEL can be reached at 940-566-6884.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Online at: http://www.dentonrc.com/localnews/st....b27accd8.html
Old 07-23-2003, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to astroAPhi
Thumbs up

Supposedly we will be getting a Greek Row in the next 2 years, so I share in UNT's excitement!

TKE Omicron Nu Chapter Sweetheart 2003
Old 07-23-2003, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

That is so exciting.

However, did I read it correctly that they said it would be ONE house split to house the five sororities??????

Or five houses.

I'm confused.
Old 07-23-2003, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

radioZTA, thank you so much for posting this article!!

It was also pretty awesome to have some incredible women represent my home chapter in the article!

I am so excited for all of our UNT sororities because I definately feel housing can help bring the chapters closer to each other.

I definately disagree with the apartment managers who were quoted in the story! The houses on Fraternity Row right now are ALL well-kept in awesome condition, and the fraternity houses (and ADPi's) all neighbor apartment complexes with no problems. I definately feel like they are just using the stereotypical "party environment" as an arguement against the project, because right now it is not like that at all.

I'm just so completely thrilled there will be a place for sororities, especially since they are getting close to tearing down College Inn (where 5 of the 6 sororities currently have chapter rooms).

Go UNT! Go Greek!
Old 07-23-2003, 02:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to adpishan
One house split five ways.

Man I am jealous, I wish our school would do something like that.
Old 07-23-2003, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm also confused as to how the whole house thing is supposed to be. At first we were told every sorority would have their own house, and now it sounds like it will be more of like a residence hall-type place and each sorority will have their sections of it?

Maybe radioZTA knows what's going on? hehehe

Either way, it is still very exciting, and I am pretty sure all the other sororities involved are just as excited

There has been a lot of talk about where everyone will go after College Inn gets torn down, because everyone needs a place to meet, and having a place to live with your sisters is even more fun !
Old 07-23-2003, 03:17 PM
GreekChat Member

The sorority row will probably improve The Oaks apartments property value. And ten years ago, there were mostly students at the Oaks anyway since it was so close to school.

Yippee for North Texas.

Curious, does anyone know why Chi-O is not moving with the other npc groups?

Any news on expansion since you are down to six groups now?

Last edited by Kristin AGD; 07-23-2003 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-23-2003, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

I found a picture!

I found a picture for the story! Here is what Sorority Row is supposed to look like:

It looks awesome!

KristenAGD - There are still tons of students living @ The Oaks! It's right across the street from campus and is probably one of the more affordable places to live without being icky!

I don't know why Chi-O has decided not to move with the other groups, but I believe they are going to build a lodge on another property sometime.
Old 07-23-2003, 03:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I think sorority rows like the one pictured really improves the look of a campus. It is a win/win. Great for the groups, and great for the school.
Congratulations!
Old 07-23-2003, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to radioZTA Send a message via Yahoo to radioZTA
Both Chi-O and Zeta already own property for houses. I am just assuming that Chi-O still intends to build their own. I know we went back and forth on the issue quite a bit.

We have a recruitment retreat this weekend where the girls and advisors are going to be told all the details by our national officer. I'm unable to attend so I'll have to wait to get the full scoop.
Old 07-23-2003, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to SparkliiQTMTSU Send a message via Yahoo to SparkliiQTMTSU
CONGRATS on the new sorority row!! That must be very exciting.
Too bad we will never get houses or at least not any time soon.....damn this southern bible belt...saying that more than like 8 women living is a house is a whorehouse!!! oh well hopefully one day every campus will have housing for their greeks!

Nichole
Old 07-23-2003, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
damn this southern bible belt...saying that more than like 8 women living is a house is a whorehouse!!!
I'm pretty sure the "whorehouse" thing is an urban legend. Also, being Southern has nothing to do with it... lots of Southern schools have sorority houses.
Old 07-23-2003, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Kristin AGD
I think sorority rows like the one pictured really improves the look of a campus. It is a win/win. Great for the groups, and great for the school.
Congratulations!
I agree! When I'm out of town, and end up near a college campus, I'll ride around to see if I notice any GLO houses. They really make a campus look great!
Old 07-23-2003, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the information.

Sweet my sisters are getting a house, that is awesome. Too bad I'm not in Texas otherwise I would totally check the house out.

Congratulations girls.

Brianna
Alpha Delta Pi
Old 07-24-2003, 12:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZetaMelOU
Congrats!!!! I'm so excited for you guys!!! I'm from Fort Worth, so maybe I can come by and get a tour of the Zeta house in a few years when it's done .