GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,601
1 members and 1,600 guests
Sen's Revenge

Old 02-13-2018, 05:06 PM
GreekChat Member

@slang You must have Greekchat confused with another site.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:08 PM
GreekChat Member

OK - LadyLonghorn got my SOS and she's on it with cleo1967 so I am gonna ask a supermod to edit my posts as well. It's all good. I just want the OP to have a decent rush experience and it's TEXAS for the love of Mike, people. Please. Thank you in advance for letting me exit stage left.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:14 PM
GreekChat Member

The term decayed society may be a little harsh and inaccurate. Perhaps generational wealth or trust funder may be better, less offensive terms. UT-Austin is not alone. The same comment could be made about other well-known Texas universities that appear to place a big emphasis on Greek social organizations (though, in the overall UT System, Greek social organizations have never been considered a big emphasis).

And yes, I am sure there are plenty of parties in Texas. But the old oil money (on which Texas society is based) has been disbursed and diluted through multiple generations. And sometimes (at the end of all that money) their great grandchildern don't turn out so well * * * but sometimes they turn out wonderful. Obviously, UT-Austin has its share of both types of kids.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilTau View Post
The term decayed society may be a little harsh and inaccurate. Perhaps generational wealth or trust funder may be better, less offensive terms. UT-Austin is not alone. The same comment could be made about other well-known Texas universities that appear to place a big emphasis on Greek social organizations (though, in the overall UT System, Greek social organizations have never been considered a big emphasis).

And yes, I am sure there are plenty of parties in Texas. But the old oil money (on which Texas society is based) has been disbursed and diluted through multiple generations. And sometimes (at the end of all that money) their great grandchildern don't turn out so well * * * but sometimes they turn out wonderful. Obviously, UT-Austin has its share of both types of kids.
wat?
Old 02-13-2018, 10:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCMS View Post
In a perfect world girls would get a bid from a house they are totally psyched about. But we don't live in a perfect world and at super competitive schools like Texas, Ole Miss and Alabama, girls can be lucky to get a bid period even if it is guaranteed (given that they go through the system as they're instructed). I've known many girls take a bid who were unsure about their house, but they gave it their best. And you know what? They fell in love with that house. I've heard some say they can't imagine being anywhere else now.

My advice is that in a house with 300-400 girls you can surely find your "home", so take the bid and give it your best shot.

I wish the OP well in finding a home.
At UT, re-rushing is a good option. The only drawback is foregoing sorority life as a freshman. If you’re connected to actives as a freshman, you’ll be going to all of the frat parties and their formals, TX/OU, Round Up, the profit shares, etc., so you still fun. I’ve seen it happen here over and over. A girl goes through as an unknown, gets dropped by her favorite houses, drops out completely, only to re-rush and get what she wants as a sophomore.

Texas chapters average 200 girls (AXD not that many and SDT even less). Sure, there is always a girl or 2 within any house that you can bond with but you want to pledge a chapter that you fit with overall. Every re-rusher I know who connected with actives as a freshman had success the second time around. Because many girls only get into UT as transfers, all UT chapters are used to bidding sophomores.

And hey, if you’re dirty rushed, that means you’re on a sorority’s radar (a good thing!). Your takeaway: re-rushing at UT works so don’t settle. Can’t wait to hear your story!
Old 02-13-2018, 10:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilTau View Post

You’re seriously out of your element.

We’ve got trust funders and rich kids all over greek life, which is why wealth was one of the qualities I mentioned. The OOS greeks have the means to handle full tuition, high dues and all that travel. Our greek system is old. It’s always been high profile because of it’s connections to cheer, pom, Spurs, Cowboys, student govt, Round Up and more. You think Texas society is based on oil money?? You’re not from here or else you’d know that mineral rights, ranching, farming and business figure pretty strongly into Texas society. And your comment about some oil money kids not turning out so well, see UT’s 39% acceptance ratio, an indication that UT takes students that have “turned out well”.

You should stop; your ignorance is showing. You kinda sound jealous of UT greeks or something.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLonghorn View Post
@slang You must have Greekchat confused with another site.
Huh?
Old 02-14-2018, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

There is a post every year about about UT recruitment. It's like a right of Spring. And, every year, nothing changes. In the last few years Greek life has been growing, but at UT, there has been no growth among Panhellenic groups. It is a sad statement but true that the newest group on campus was the recolonization of Kappa Delta over 35 years ago. Part of me thinks that there are chapters on campus that like it that way. It's a bubble for them to feel secure with girls they have known all their life on a campus with over 40,000 undergraduates. Only 14% of the campus are Greek. FYI, Slang, you need to listen to Lady Longhorn. And also for your information there are a LOT of Greek systems older than the University of Texas and people in Texas with the "old" money don't talk about it. It is not polite conversation. OP, for girls who want the Greek experience there is a home at the University of Texas. Keep an open mind, get your references and be yourself.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just interested View Post
There is a post every year about about UT recruitment. It's like a right of Spring. And, every year, nothing changes. In the last few years Greek life has been growing, but at UT, there has been no growth among Panhellenic groups. It is a sad statement but true that the newest group on campus was the recolonization of Kappa Delta over 35 years ago. Part of me thinks that there are chapters on campus that like it that way. It's a bubble for them to feel secure with girls they have known all their life on a campus with over 40,000 undergraduates. Only 14% of the campus are Greek. FYI, Slang, you need to listen to Lady Longhorn. And also for your information there are a LOT of Greek systems older than the University of Texas and people in Texas with the "old" money don't talk about it. It is not polite conversation. OP, for girls who want the Greek experience there is a home at the University of Texas. Keep an open mind, get your references and be yourself.
Did you read the thread? The only one initiating talk of old money was Phil Tau. UT Greek life a bubble? We say over and over we have lots of OOS students. For the record, UT is definitely one of the older Greek systems in the country, with many single-letter chapters. And I’m listening to LL regarding my own Greek system for....??

OP, yes, we're up over here! Got your pm. Responding now.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator

Let me guess....you're majoring in Diplomacy?
Old 02-14-2018, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
Did you read the thread? The only one initiating talk of old money was Phil Tau. UT Greek life a bubble? We say over and over we have lots of OOS students. For the record, UT is definitely one of the older Greek systems in the country, with many single-letter chapters. And I’m listening to LL regarding my own Greek system for....??

OP, yes, we're up over here! Got your pm. Responding now.
uh, no. You're mistaken. Or, to use your very own words, "wrong wrong wrong".

What is your chapter, SLang? And if you don't know why you should be listening to LL, that speaks volumes.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I wish there was a like button so I could like AZTheta's response....
Old 02-14-2018, 10:26 PM
GreekChat Member

FSU-I’m majoring in the same thing as Phil Tau and JInterested (who said Texas society is decaying and UT greeks live in a self-comforting bubble). AZTheta-you really wanna argue that UT does not have an old greek system?! Do.the.math. And remind me why I need rush advice, considering I’ve successfully navigated one of the hardest recruitments at one of the best public universities??

Cleo/kppita got what she needs from me personally so I’m done, but this for all y’all: TEXAS, TEXAS, YeeeHaaaw! bye
Old 02-15-2018, 01:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
FSU-I’m majoring in the same thing as Phil Tau and JInterested (who said Texas society is decaying and UT greeks live in a self-comforting bubble). AZTheta-you really wanna argue that UT does not have an old greek system?! Do.the.math. And remind me why I need rush advice, considering I’ve successfully navigated one of the hardest recruitments at one of the best public universities??

Cleo/kppita got what she needs from me personally so I’m done, but this for all y’all: TEXAS, TEXAS, YeeeHaaaw! bye
it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool ... oh wait, you know everything about Greek history including that it has something to do with math. This is rich.

You don't need rush advice. You need a Dale Carnegie course, for starters.

Again, what is your chapter?

*crickets*
Old 02-15-2018, 08:19 AM
GreekChat Member

UC-Berkeley had 20 sororities by 1920, nearly all single letter chapters. University of Illinois had 16 chapters. Much more than Texas.

Yep, SLang is one of those "women" that is the stereotype of the entitled sorority b****