GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,254
1 members and 2,253 guests
Xidelt

Old 08-17-2006, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadSquirrelBeta
EDITED TO ADD FROM A PREVIOUS POST: Sorority as a resume builder? You must be joking. I am loathe to put my lengthy alumnae involvement on a resume: I'm not interested in being a martyr for the "Why don't you stand up and show people your involvement?" cause. Post-college, professionals and academics view Greek life differently. The "alumnae network" is something that you seek out by making calls, emails and sending letters-- not an established party line that finds you a job with an alumna. This doesn't make me less proud of my membership-- but there is a time and a place. I wouldn't list my faith-based activities on a resume, either. Discrimination exists, and I'd rather not be passed over for a job or a program because of someone else's personal biases or in trying to make a statement for all of Greekdom.
Same here. ZTA and any of my involvement is no where to be found on my resume. Most people see greek life as a college thing only. The last thing I need is for my sorority to conjure up any stereotypes when I go in for my interview.
Old 08-17-2006, 08:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTAngel
Same here. ZTA and any of my involvement is no where to be found on my resume. Most people see greek life as a college thing only. The last thing I need is for my sorority to conjure up any stereotypes when I go in for my interview.
I agree. Also, I think that if you have adequate internships and work experience, you probably shouldn't have enough room for sorority involvement on your resume. I don't know anyone who joined a sorority JUST as a resume builder - that's what your internships are for!
Old 08-17-2006, 08:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTAngel
I feel the same way too, especially since I'm not in a field where there are a lot of Greeks, nor do I live in a region where Greek life would affect my career goals. I do keep a resume of community service-related activities which are completely unrelated to my professional resume, and that's where my GLO involvement goes.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Resume

Actually I have DPhiE on my resume but I have it listed under "affiliations and recent volunteer experience"--and the reason I do list it is because what I have done for the sorority is directly related to my line of work. I work in alumni relations and fundraising--and my experiences as a sorority leader and a foundation board member have helped me immensely in terms of being able to offer examples of how I work with volunteers, develop programs, manage relationships, raise money etc. At the height of my experience, I was giving more than 20 hours a week to the sorority, and it could have been a full time job. I also have examples of documents/ publications that I have put together for the sorority in my overall portfolio.

So--as with everything--I think there is a time and a place that it may "work" to share your sorority affiliation and activities on the alumnae level. Obviously, you probably don't want to mention that you were "Rush Chair" as a collegian on your resume, especially if you more than a year our of school.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Eh, for the hell of it. SK is on my resume in a volunteer activities section because I was webmaster for 2 years (longer than I was for a paid position) and I've applied for a lot of IT type positions.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:48 AM
GreekChat Member

I have KLP on my resume because I was treasurer and social chair. I work in finance now and eventually would like to go into event planning so those are relevant positions. I don't have any of my other positions listed though.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather17
Actually I have DPhiE on my resume but I have it listed under "affiliations and recent volunteer experience"--and the reason I do list it is because what I have done for the sorority is directly related to my line of work. I work in alumni relations and fundraising--and my experiences as a sorority leader and a foundation board member have helped me immensely in terms of being able to offer examples of how I work with volunteers, develop programs, manage relationships, raise money etc. At the height of my experience, I was giving more than 20 hours a week to the sorority, and it could have been a full time job. I also have examples of documents/ publications that I have put together for the sorority in my overall portfolio.
That's how I list mine as well. I'm an International Officer, I've founded and lead an alumnae chapter, I've chaired a Task Force and all of those have given me skills that my job hasn't. I'm much more well rounded than I would be without it. Why wouldn't someone list it?
Old 08-17-2006, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartBlondeGPhB
I'm much more well rounded than I would be without it. Why wouldn't someone list it?
I think it is great to list it if it has implications in your field, or if you have reason to believe that the person reading the resume would understand something about Greek life, but I know that as a business major I was told point blank (I think in Technical Writing class???) not to put Greek affiliation on my resume because there are a lot of Greek-haters out there who may apply stereotypes unfairly. Or, you might have the HR director who got cut from your sorority and never got over it. I didn't put it on my resume because I wanted to make sure I got the interview. Of course in accounting and taxation they mostly cared about grades - not activities. It would be different in other fields I am sure. Once I had the interview, I would usually bring it up in the course of conversation after I got a feel for the interviewer and was in a position to explain the benefits of Greek life and how that experience made me a good job candidate.

I interviewed a lot of people when I was in management and did some recruiting for my company. If a candidate had a GLO listed I always asked them about it. Surprisingly, some answered with the exact answers that I think the Tech Writing teacher was warning about. "It was just a way to have a full social calendar" or other such statements. Others though were very candid about the life skills learned in GLO membership and especially the leadership experiences. I think it is great to put it on your resume but I totally understand why some people don't.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm a finance major (with a master's degree) and my Gamma Phi work has no similarities to my job (exactly the point) and I've never had any issues with anyone who's interviewed me for a job.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:16 AM

I've just finished my resume (I'm graduating in 6 months). As far as Sigma, it's listed under Activities & Honors. Under positions held, I've only listed Honor Council Chairwoman as an example of my abiility to organize and motivate committees to complete tasks and reach goals.

But that's it. I feel like you should limit sorority involvement on your resume to those positions that correspond to relevant job skills (i.e. if you want to work in finance, list that you were treasurer).

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartBlondeGPhB
I'm a finance major (with a master's degree) and my Gamma Phi work has no similarities to my job (exactly the point) and I've never had any issues with anyone who's interviewed me for a job.
As I said, I think that's great. (And I also have a masters degree.)
Old 08-18-2006, 08:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Scandia
Should/would you list your Greek affiliation (assuming it is a social GLO like NPC sororities) if you were just another member? I can see how it would be helpful if you were an officer. But if you were simply a civilian member who did not hold any offices, would it be beneficial?

Theta Phi Alpha
Old 08-18-2006, 08:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scandia
Should/would you list your Greek affiliation (assuming it is a social GLO like NPC sororities) if you were just another member? I can see how it would be helpful if you were an officer. But if you were simply a civilian member who did not hold any offices, would it be beneficial?

It's highly unlikely that if you joined as an undergrad that you never held SOME sort of office/chair.
(Although I guess if you're in the SEC in a 200 member chapter, it could happen.)
Old 08-18-2006, 08:47 AM

Quote:
I don't think there is a "should" here. You just assess your own situation and determine what you want to do. I was an officer in my professional fraternity and I always put that on my resume. I chose not to put AOII on my resume. I didn't want to take the chance that the person reading the resume may treat me unfairly for being in an NPC sorority. That can happen. Other people may look at your NPC status and give you an unexpected benefit. You never know.

As it turns out, my first real boss was like a computer - ridiculously smart, no use for personality of any kind, and was from Hong Kong and barely spoke English. She did, however, graduate from UT (Texas) and knew what sororities were. She certainly thought all sorority girls were blonde bimbos with idiot-level IQs. After she was fired (ha ha) my next boss LOVED the fact that I was in an NPC and he would shoot the breeze about it frequently. It just depends. I also think you need to know your field. There are scads of business people who are GLO members or who harbor no grudge because they have had good GLO employees. However, my specialized field after grad school was taxation - very nerdy and not very Greek. I made a judgment call, that was encouraged by professors, and it worked out for me. Maybe it would have worked out just the same if AOII had been on my resume.

*I am not suggesting UT NPC women are blonde, stupid, bimbos. Just that by going to UT, that boss knew what sororities were since they are prominent on that campus.*

I never tried to hide my NPC membership, I just waited until we could discuss it rather than take a chance that the person on the other end wouldn't understand it.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
No. I include mine because it has given me relevant job skills.