GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,241
1 members and 2,240 guests
Xidelt

Old 05-04-2006, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dakareng
Quote:
Originally posted by Scandia
Oh no, I certainly do not expect it to be wrapped up so quickly. I may have mentioned this because the undergrad institution I went to does Fall recruitment and initiation for all chapters, while only a few do COB or Spring recruitment.

It would be nice, though. And I like doing things expediently. However, I understand that AI is a time consuming process.

On the other hand, I do not want to be left in limbo. I wonder if I should email after conventions happen. Most of the ones I am interested in do have conventions coming up in the summer.
If the groups you are primarily focusing on have convention, contact them AFTER convention. Right now the HQ staff is very busy with preparations (those programs, handouts and signs come from somewhere). Waiting a few weeks afterwards would show that you've done some homework!

Keep in mind too, that not all groups handle AI inquiries at the HQ level. It is NOT ALWAYS the appropriate place to send your letter. Check with someone from that group privately to confirm to whom your letter should be sent.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-04-2006, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

"On the other hand, I do not want to be left in limbo.

This happened to me. Things were moving really well, and then...silence. I didn't know if this was a "no" or a "not now" or a "we lost your info." I still don't know, and it has been 2 years! But, I have a great supporter who encouraged me not to give up. I found out that there were officer changes and changes of policy that might have interrupted my process.

I know that you are not being impatient...just excited

Hang in there!

LM

Be a Volunteer!
Old 05-04-2006, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dakareng
Keep in mind too, that not all groups handle AI inquiries at the HQ level. It is NOT ALWAYS the appropriate place to send your letter. Check with someone from that group privately to confirm to whom your letter should be sent.
The reason everyone is telling her to contact the HQs is because, well, some of the people in that group (on GC or in real life) might not know anything about AI and receiving wrong info can be disastrous for someone's pursuit. No one is advocating she send a full out resume now, just contact the HQs to see how they handle the AI process.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by LouisaMay

This happened to me. Things were moving really well, and then...silence. I didn't know if this was a "no" or a "not now" or a "we lost your info." I still don't know, and it has been 2 years! But, I have a great supporter who encouraged me not to give up. I found out that there were officer changes and changes of policy that might have interrupted my process.

I know that you are not being impatient...just excited

Hang in there!

LM
That happened to me too. After nearly three years of waiting, I found a guardian angel in the group I was hoping to join (who was here on Greek Chat). She was kind enough to make some inquiries on my behalf, and found that someone unintentionally dropped the ball. Had I not been persistant, and had I not met this very kind soul, I would still be in limbo land... not because they didn't want me, but because I had slipped through the cracks.

Someone told you that if you don't hear back from them, that they don't want you. That is NOT necessarily true. I'm proof.

Don't also let anyone tell you that because you don't want to be left out in limbo, that you're not AI material. Also not true. Nobody enjoys the waiting and the not knowing. It can be awful. I know, I went through it, as stated above, for nearly three years.

AI is relatively rare... but some sororities do less than a handful a year-- if any. Those are the groups that sometimes don't follow through-- not because they don't want you, but because they do AI rarely, there's a good chance someone can slip up along the way.

The hardest part is the not knowing. I wish all sororities would send those that they don't feel are right for them a very nice "I'm sorry, but we have to say no" letter. It's kinder than leaving people to hang out there.

Last edited by blueangel; 05-04-2006 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dakareng
Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
The reason everyone is telling her to contact the HQs is because, well, some of the people in that group (on GC or in real life) might not know anything about AI and receiving wrong info can be disastrous for someone's pursuit. No one is advocating she send a full out resume now, just contact the HQs to see how they handle the AI process.
The reason I advocated contacted someone in that group is that in groups that require a member nomination, they might get a "we don't do AI" response from HQ when, in fact, that isn't the case. It may be as simple as HQ does not make the contacts or forward the inquiries and there isn't someone in HQ responsible for AI because it is so rare. Nothing is a dead end until you get a definitive "No" but persistence and patience are key.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

As someone pointed out earlier, alumnae chapters and very different from collegiate chapters. Be sure that you have set proper expectations for what you plan to get out of alumnae membership.

Also, be aware that many organization will require the chapter to sponsor you, and also that you have demonstrated a strong relationship to the organization prior to application. In otherwords, many places will frown upon self nomination. Equally frowned upon is sorority shopping.

This leads me to the fact that some organizations also look regularly on this board and can easily match up someone posting here with someone applying to HQ. Don't believe me? You should. With the few people who actually get nominated and approved for AI yearly, and given that this site undoubtedly has the most online coversations about it, it is not hard to figure out if SuzieQ123 who posts here is the same Sarah Somebody who wrote a letter in real life.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Scandia
Dakareng- I will email them after the conventions them. Most of them happen around the same time. And when they are done with their conventions, I will also be done with the summer programs at my job. Which should give me time to prepare my inquiry letters.

Blueangel- Thank you for the encouragement and for sharing your experience. The ones I am interested in do seem to do AI without major restrictions and do have members in the AI roll call. I'm not picking them strictly because of this- they just happen to do AI coincidentially. Four of them were in my undergrad school and seemed like the kind of organization where I would feel comfortable. The other one was recommended to me by a friend.

DGMarie- My experience with the sororities is mainly what I knew about them undergrad. The ones I am applying for were the ones that appealed the most to me. I have researched their alumnae chapter websites, as well as their headquarters websites. I am quite impressed with the magazines and publications of my preferred sororities since they are so informative about many topics. And the one I am leaning towards the most is undertaking something that I find quite amazing.

I'm very enthusiastic about AI and really appreciate all the feedback I have obtained here.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LouisaMay

LM
If your supporter is in the group, it seems like they should be able to inquire on your behalf. I've done it myself for someone and we got a very nice response (and she got a phone call). The ball had simply gotten dropped by the local people. I just had to do a little research to find the right regional person to contact.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:40 PM
GreekChat Member

"If your supporter is in the group, it seems like they should be able to inquire on your behalf. I've done it myself for someone and we got a very nice response (and she got a phone call). The ball had simply gotten dropped by the local people. I just had to do a little research to find the right regional person to contact."

Yes, she has done many things "on my behalf." Her help has been the source of any progress that I have made. However, there is only so much that she can do within the protocol of her organization. I respect that.

LM

Be a Volunteer!
Old 05-05-2006, 06:37 PM
GreekChat Member

How much did you take into consideration the philanthropy and programs offered by the sorority's foundation? Especially things like scholarships or emergency financial assistance- even if they were not to apply to you (such as if they are just for collegians). Did you take a look at who was helped by the philanthropy, and how?

I would have not thought about these factors back when I was a college student. I do not know how relevant they are or should be in searching for the right sorority. But I do want to make the best decision possible. I am a very idealistic person and do want a sorority to be as best a match for my personality, interests, goals, and ideals as possible.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Scandia
I have researched their alumnae chapter websites, as well as their headquarters websites.

Are these alumnae chapter websites the ones in your area?
Old 05-05-2006, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Some are.

One of my top choices does have an Alumnae Chapter where I live, as well as a very informative website about it.

Another one only has chapters in a couple neighboring counties- both locations about an hour away from where I live.

Two others have Alumnae Chapters in the city/county where I live, but they do not have websites for them.

I have checked out websites for chapters in other locations to get an idea of the activities they engage in. They do seem appealing and I do want to get involved.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:16 PM
GreekChat Member

(Ahh...I've been totally addicted to GC over the last few days.)

Scandia,
Philanthropy was *thee* major factor in my choice. My second reason is the beautiful balance among philanthropy, academics, and social programming.

LM

Be a Volunteer!
Old 05-05-2006, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

LouisaMay- What aspect of the philanthropy appealed to you the most? Was it the cause they raised funds for? The opportunities they had for sisters? The actual projects they did?

There are so many things to consider. I do not expect a sorority to be everything to everyone- but some things are just too important to overlook.

And GreekChat can be very addictive and fun indeed. Not to mention informative. Too bad it's blocked at my workplace due to the word "chat" in the title.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:37 PM
Banned

But sometimes those philanthropies change. When I was in college, ZTA supported the ARC.. now it's Breast Cancer. Here is a list of the national ZTA philanthropies over the years:

1928 Appalachian Mountains of Virginia community
1946 Cerebral Palsy Division of National Society for Crippled Children and Adults and also Easter Seals
1970 Association for Retarded Citizens (now known as ARC)
1992 Susan G. Koman Breast Cancer Foundation